Stocking up for winter

brandon4455
brandon4455
so ive never fished winter steelhead only summer but i'm going for it this time..so far i have a steelhead bobber some pink worms jig heads jigs and a few spinners corkies yarn and hollow lead along with some barrel swivels does anybody have some suggestions on what else i could use? if you do i would appriciate it.:)

-brandon

Last edited:
kirkster
kirkster
I would have to say your pretty well set up for winter fish. The only thing I could suggest that has worked for me is winter fish like bait. I always have sand shrimp and roe. Like I said this is what works for me and I wouldnt say its a must. I have seen others using all the gear you mentioned and have caught fish. So whatever you feel confident with is more likely what you'll find yourself catching most of your fish with. Good luck

C
Chedster
I primarily float fish for steelhead nowadays and use a wide variety of offerings under my float. My favorite method is jigs. Look at steelheadstalker jigs from this site, I caught a lot on his micro jigs before I started tying my own. Eggs also work good depending on the day, get some Ez eggs if you run low on the real deal. Pink worms, yarnballs, nightcrawlers (work well in the spring), cured shrimp also are good items to have in your tackle box.

brandon4455
brandon4455
yeah i didn't know about bait but the outdoor store here in town has a freezer full of sandshrimp and roe i might pick up a little bit later on and give it a try. i also had my eyes on some yarnballs but i'm kind of limited on cash.

thanks for the replies,brandon

G
GDBrown
brandon4455 said:
so ive never fished winter steelhead only summer but i'm going for it this time..so far i have a steelhead bobber some pink worms jig heads jigs and a few spinners corkies yarn and hollow lead along with some barrel swivels does anybody have some suggestions on what else i could use? if you do i would appriciate it.:)

-brandon

You mean like where can i go to catch a winter steelhead on my first outing?

Sorry!

H
hawgslayer
All the gear you have is great, but if you river is anything like mine I would take what you have and multiply it 2-3 times due to break offs on snags. Also maybe look into some marabou jigs, they're cheap.......

S
steelheadstalker31
If you float fish, you won't need that much gear. One jig and one hook often last me several outings, as long as I don't sacrafice them to an overhanging tree. My favorite jig is the black uv hybrid, it's a steelhead killer. It sounds like you have what you need to get the job done though.

S
SantiamDrifter
I would fish the jigs and pink worms the most. You wont lose as much gear and they are deadly. PM when you start fishing for winters and I'll tell you a few tricks that will kill.

brandon4455
brandon4455
thanks very much everyone hopefully this will help me get started on catching my first winter fish. ive never really caugh a big steelhead (i caught a 5-6lb fish on the n.santiam ) but this time i'm looking for the big boys. ive looked at a few places so far and i think i know where i want to fish. most likely nestucca or somwhere a little closer being i know a few spots on nestucca and three rivers this will be easier for me to hook and land a fish

-brandon

T
Troutier Bassier
I have a ton of yarn and split shots ready. I mostly drift fish for them.

brandon4455
brandon4455
steelheadstalker31 said:
If you float fish, you won't need that much gear. One jig and one hook often last me several outings, as long as I don't sacrafice them to an overhanging tree. My favorite jig is the black uv hybrid, it's a steelhead killer. It sounds like you have what you need to get the job done though.

i just happend to get a few of those from a felow OFFer ha. what are the chances of that?