Stocking at Walter Wirth

M
mrlindeman
I was fishing there sunday and the smallest caught was 13 inches. There are a lot of decent sized fish comin out this year so far. If anyone wants to meet up let me know. Looks like it could be a good year out there. :)

troutdude
troutdude
Nice going. Sounds like you had fun.

BTW, if ODFW has dumped any Brooders in there...you'll find them huggin the shore line (at least for a while). It's what they're used to, in their holding tanks at the hatchery.

Last edited:
M
mrlindeman
What size rooster tail would be good for that troutdude? I would guess black would be a good color but I have never caught anything on any of my spinners :(

D
Drew9870
Rooster Tails are garbage, use a Blue Fox in the smallest size, the blades actually spin and you can actually feel the action from the blade so you can tell if your lure is functioning properly. Reel it in very slow, just enough to get action out of the blade and to keep it off the bottom. Plus, Blue Fox's can cast a mile, which in turn, equals more water covered.

Color doesn't seem to be an issue for the hatchery fish, I think it is just the matter of putting the meal close enough to the fish, those fish are used to getting their meals tossed at them their whole life, not chasing it down, this is a very important fact to know. I laugh at the guys trolling lures at full speed in their toons, I bet they wonder why the bank guys are having all the luck.

When using bait, your best bet to catch a fish is while it is sinking motionless, this is what the Trout are used to seeing.

There are no secrets that need to be kept about Wirth, it's not like the next batch of fish is going to be trained not to eat spinners. I could tell anyone every tip there is to know about Wirth, considering I only live about 1.5 miles away from it.

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
Drew9870 said:
Rooster Tails are garbage

That's because the original rooster tails were designed for FAST/MOVING water and not slack or still water conditions. they require moving water to spin the blade. But, they still work. Just type it into the search engine on here, and you'll see how many peeps use Rooster's with GREAT success. And black is a GREAT color.

Step up to the bank, toss whatever you are using parallel to the bank about 2 feet from shore. Reel in. Cast out in the same direction, but 4' feet out and reel. Then, 6' out. When you are straight out, turn to your other side and repeat that same process. If no luck. Move down the bank and repeat all along any bank that you can cover. That's how to get the brooders.

The Rooster Tail information, BTW, came directly to me from Yakima Bait's Sales Manager (makers of roosters). Plus, he sent me some NEW Rooster's that are specifically designed for Slow / Slack water fishing. I am about to Beta test them, and then file a report on here. So, stay tuned.

M
mrlindeman
this is some of the best advise I have found! You guys rock! Good tips all around. I didn't know you lived that closeto wirth drew lol. Hell I pass it every day on the way home from work. I need to get my tags the start of the year so we can get some salmon. Karen and I are supposed to finally get to riverfront dock to fish for anything really this week.

D
Drew9870
mrlindeman said:
this is some of the best advise I have found! You guys rock! Good tips all around. I didn't know you lived that closeto wirth drew lol. Hell I pass it every day on the way home from work. I need to get my tags the start of the year so we can get some salmon. Karen and I are supposed to finally get to riverfront dock to fish for anything really this week.

What day are you going to the dock? I'll try to make it, and I'll set you up with one of the special rigs on a bigger pole, expect to catch your biggest fish so far.

troutdude
troutdude
Always happy to help fellow fisher peeps.

Hope you guys have fun.

M
mrlindeman
I will confirm a day to meet up and let you know by this afternoon Drew. The blue foxes you are referring to have the little hollow chamber like a bell on them right? I have a few size 6 for river fishin but will have to downsize on a few colors for small ponds and such.

Last edited:
A
autofisher
On a side note about the Rooster Tails..... You can use them very effectively at Wirth..... You have to "kick start" them and they'll spin just fine...... If you're going after the brooders....... use a #4 or smaller.....Black, blue, purple, and maroon have been my best producers...... I've seen Kastmasters and Lil' Cleo's produce pretty good too. Troutdude is right about the casting. Work your way in kind of an arch all the way around you and then work your way up or down the bank. If you've got the two pole tag you can plunk and spin fish effectively.

T
Throbbit _Shane
Panther Martin is my spinner of choice. But iv got a tackle box with all the different brands of spinners, and they all work. Trout arnt the only fish that'll go after them too, iv caught bluegill, crappie, smallmouth and largemouth bass on them. Autofisher is right about giving roostertails a "kick start" just a little tug before u start reeling will get the blades spinning.

T
The Nothing
i've seen more snaggers at WW than anywhere else when the ODFW truck is unloading a fresh batch of stockies. I called one guy out on it last time i was there and thought i was gonna be lynched...

troutdude
troutdude
I would have OSP AND ODFW.

T
The Nothing
ODFW certainly didn't care... the guy was standing 3' from their pipe

troutdude
troutdude
Come to think of it, they aren't Enforcement officers...just hatchery folk. I'll bet that they would do something, if they could.

T
the_intimidator03
As my understanding is that Oregon State Patrol enforces our game laws in oregon and we dont have many if any specific game wardens as well. I remember last christmas i was at JCP and they had just stocked the brooders and steelhead in there... I had osp come out but the folks had just left who were snagging.

D
Drew9870
If someone has to resort to snagging in a hatchery pond, then they really need to take up a new interest, I don't mean to beat a dead fish :)lol:), but that's like using bread to catch ducks, it just takes no effort whatsoever.

I would call someone out on it if I witnessed it, there are people that fish Wirth and the other stocker ponds that actually deserve to catch those fish, like little kids and the people just getting into fishing. I only C&R when I am at Wirth, I won't even eat hatchery fish from Detroit, I prefer my Trout wild.

All spinners need a 'kick start', but Blue Foxes can be trusted a lot more at slower speeds, I have seen many of the big fish pulled out of there on the smallest Blue Foxes in a variety of colors usually on 4lb test. Slow is the key, and work every cast to your feet, those fish will take lures 3 feet off the bank.

Last edited:
M
mrlindeman
If I saw people snagging off the truck i would definatly call it in. Like Drew say there are a lot of others out there that deserve to catch those fish that actually try. :)

troutdude
troutdude
Drew9870 said:
like little kids and the people just getting into fishing

And let's not forget other deserving peeps like Veteran's and those w/ disabilities.

M
mrlindeman
Pulled my first 15 incher outa there last night on a 1/4 kastmaster :) Whata blast! :)
troutpig.png

Last edited: