Still water fly fishing

brandon4455
brandon4455
this late winter/ spring im doing some hike in lake fishing for cutts and bows can anyone help me out with what flies are great for stillwater and how to present them ?i got the stream fishing down but im new to fly fishing lakes thanks and about the lake : it is usually clear when there is no rain for a few days has a lot of floating timber (logging occurs up there) and tall grass and marsh like areas near the bank it's about 500ft elevation in the coast range im guessing thanks for any help

brandon

W
wozniasm
I would try wooley buggers - green or black. Toss your fly out there and strip it back slowly. When I strip, I do it in spurts and not in a consistent cadence.

brandon4455
brandon4455
thanks

G
Growbug
late winter / early spring... CHROMONIDS

They may be real boring to fish, but they catch lots of trout.

Attach bobber (whoops, strike indicator), rig so that Chromonid sits about 6-12" off the bottom (more if its weeded) and wait.
If nothing after a few mins do the Chromonid Creep (strip about 2 microns of line at a time) for a couple of minutes, then wait again.

brandon4455
brandon4455
thanks growbug much appriciated, i thought it was a good idea to see what works before i make a 7 mile hike to fish LOL

O
OnTheFly
+1 for Chironomids. Fish feed on them all year. I don't fish them much but I should start. Anyhoot, read up on the presentations and you'll find retrieving them vertically is best or around foam lines just under the surface. For me, I never go wrong with a gold rib hares ear retrieved three agonizing inches at a time along the bottom.

G
Growbug
to add to OnTheFly's "retrieving them vertically is the best". If you are in a floating device, then you can drop the line straight down out of the side of the boat and wait til its vertical, no indicator. Then strip ever so slowly upwards. The take is not exactly subtle.

O
OnTheFly
In the words of Homer Simpson "eggs-zak-lee.;)

brandon4455
brandon4455
thanks so much guys i appriciate the help, hopefully ill pull another 22 inch cutt out of there but with a fly this time!!