steelies in willy??

N
ninja2010
are there any spots to target steelies in the willy by the macadam/john's landing area? i'm looking to kick around on my toon in the willy. i think it'd be easier than trying to do it on the sandy or clack...

any thoughts? thanks.

F
FishSchooler
ninja2010 said:
are there any spots to target steelies in the willy by the macadam/john's landing area? i'm looking to kick around on my toon in the willy. i think it'd be easier than trying to do it on the sandy or clack...

any thoughts? thanks.

Better think twice about that. I have never heard of anyone putting a toon into the willy, especially at this time. No need anyway, because fish are in casting distance of the bank. But I would recommend the clack right now, as everyone else is.

C
chris61182
Come summer time, sure a toon would be great on the Willy. Until then just say no! Please, we like having you around.

S
Snagged
What is so scary about having a toon on the Willy? It seems to be it would be safer than say a Sled going 25-30 MPH and hitting a deadhead or rooftop. THe problem I see with it is I have no idea where one would target Steelies near John's landing. Other than right next to the bank of course. If you were going to do that then you might as well plunk at Meldrum Bar from the safety of land.
If your just trying to get rowing your toon down, then find a local lake and get comfy there before you try something with current. And above all else WEAR A PFD whe on the water where ever you are!

Kraig

N
ninja2010
alrighty then... no tooning in the willy till summer...

but are there spots to fish near the macadam/sellwood areas? steelies would be nice... bass would be okay... walleye, don't know what that's like... sturgeon, same thing...

anyhoo, i'm itching to get back into the action after a couple of years' hiatus.

F
FishSchooler
ninja2010 said:
alrighty then... no tooning in the willy till summer...

but are there spots to fish near the macadam/sellwood areas? steelies would be nice... bass would be okay... walleye, don't know what that's like... sturgeon, same thing...

anyhoo, i'm itching to get back into the action after a couple of years' hiatus.

Bass are like the living dead right now. They are inactive as dead fish because it is way too cold. Closest place for steels would probably be the clackamas river. It maybe be a 30-40 min drive from that area.

N
ninja2010
Snagged said:
What is so scary about having a toon on the Willy? It seems to be it would be safer than say a Sled going 25-30 MPH and hitting a deadhead or rooftop. THe problem I see with it is I have no idea where one would target Steelies near John's landing. Other than right next to the bank of course. If you were going to do that then you might as well plunk at Meldrum Bar from the safety of land.
If your just trying to get rowing your toon down, then find a local lake and get comfy there before you try something with current. And above all else WEAR A PFD whe on the water where ever you are!

Kraig

that's kinda what i figured, snagged. the willy looks kinda mellow compared to the tributaries.

anyways, i used to kick float tubes and toons in the bays of san diego, so i'm used to tide current, but not rivers. and i'm looking at launching from willamette park or sellwood riverfront park to kick around on the willy coz it's close to where i live. kinda hoping there might be some good spots to hook up on some fish.

and i never float without pfd. :naughty:

N
ninja2010
FishSchooler said:
Bass are like the living dead right now. They are inactive as dead fish because it is way too cold. Closest place for steels would probably be the clackamas river. It maybe be a 30-40 min drive from that area.

bummer. :(

well, i'm heading to riverside on saturday to wet my line... may be i'll pack the toon? :think:

A
ArcticAmoeba
Uh, I don't know what everyone else is thinkin, but I have been side drifting from my 'toon for weeks. Not super regularly, but I have been after it lately. And during the first snow squalls too. Yes, it is a river, there is current, just be aware, and keep your eyes open. I have been anchoring up, and side drifting, by just long lining myself down river sideways. It is not a real side drag, but it is essentially the same thing, and just as productive. I don't fish below Meldrum though. I don't have a motor mounted at the moment.

F
FishFinger
Exactly AA, that what I was thinkin' as well. Toonage from Barton to Carver or even Carver to Riverside; when water flows permit; since flooding is once again on it's way.

The forum here is a great way to network floatillas, the associated shuttling of vehicles and such.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Thrill vs. Responsiblilty vs. Skill

Thrill vs. Responsiblilty vs. Skill

Being the (grand) "mother hen" of the forum,I too, at first, thought "Oh my God, don't do that!" Kind of like yelling at the kids about swallowing the watermelon seeds. But then you said you had experience and could probably handle it. You will have to forgive some of us for being a bit over-cautious with all the crazy weather creating the messes and potential floods. I have to believe that all the debris that has been thrown into the rivers adds to the danger level. I also realize the need some folks have for that very same danger element and possibility. Please, if you are certain of your skills and have sense enough to wear a personal flotation device as well as being aware of your surroundings,go for it. If you have any doubts or are the least bit squeamish, be responsible and do not put yourself in that danger.
Good luck and be safe.
Barb

M
meluvtrout
ninja2010 said:

any thoughts? thanks.

According to Bill Monroe of Oregonian, Sellwood Bridge area will be your best bet. Look up for his blog in google...

O
osmosis
guys its not like they teleport from the mouth to sellwood to meldrum to the mouth of the clack. Fish anywhere it is under 14' deep and you will find them eventually.

right now the fish are within 5 feet of the bank in most places.

M
meluvtrout
osmosis said:
guys its not like they teleport from the mouth to sellwood to meldrum to the mouth of the clack. Fish anywhere it is under 14' deep and you will find them eventually.

hey, you don't know that! :lol:

F
FishSchooler
osmosis said:

So your saying, that if you are lucky enough, you could kinda poke a fish with your rod they are that close or net them?

O
osmosis
it is illegal to do that.

F
FishSchooler
osmosis said:
it is illegal to do that.

I know, my point was if they were literally five feet from the bank and you didn't need to cast...You could side drift from the bank very easily if they were that close.

O
osmosis
its not side drifting when you are on the bank it's drift fishing - but yes you can very easily do that.
you dont need to cast far thats for sure.

F
FishSchooler
osmosis said:
its not side drifting when you are on the bank it's drift fishing - but yes you can very easily do that.
you dont need to cast far thats for sure.

I know, but side drifting on the bank is casting straight in front of you and walking with the current, so you cover more water and you dont need to cast/retrieve as much.

O
osmosis
that would be extending a drift by walking. side drifting involves a boat.