Steelhead yarn

O
Outdoor_Myers
Does anyone know what type of yarn is used to make uv yarn or reg yarn for steelhead fishing? I want to start trying out some yarn but if i can get a basic set up going (for self use) instead of spending 2 1/2 bucks for 12' if I could buy some in a yarn shop and make my own.

O
Outdoor_Myers
is it batting that is used to make the yarn we use to fish with?

S
SantiamDrifter
You dont have to buy the UV yarn. The cheaper stuff will work, but I like the thinkness of the glo bug yarn.

Y
youngbuck307
Well I can make about 2 packs of the few colors I use last me all year and I fish yarn 80% the time... Can I ask why u want to make it instead of buy it?

O
Outdoor_Myers
i be poor lol not rly well kinda am at the moment I just dont trust big corps not knowing what they used to dye the fabric and what not its not like looking for weights i know its lead i know its not healthy but at least i know lol. also something to do to past the time that might be fairly inexpensive. I'm still kinda new at the whole steelhead and I mainly fish the willy at wheatland ferry or some private property and well I like to have an arsenal with me since I havent figured out what to use to match the river lvl like monday im going all out yarn with a spin n glow with a tuna (oil) wrapp with a prawn in glass jar i bought last year in one set up lol

Y
youngbuck307
I would say just get some glow bug whatever color u like... Really don't take much yarn to hold scent And last u a while I would think.... I'm a cheap guy really cheap when it comes to fishing make everything I can... Even poor lead with home made mold to make it cheap as can be even with the health risk.

O
Outdoor_Myers
I use to pour lead back in Iowa when they built the new hospital my friend's dad was the electrician and we got all the scrap lead, but out here I have no idea where to start looking for free or low cost bulk scrap lead nor do I have the molds needed lol, I might get a pack of the uv yarn mix color bag at walmart today just to try it out.

F
fish_4_all
There are many yarns that will work well for tying and fishing that don't have a fishing label stuck to them and the higher price. Give me some time and I will try to find some I got many years ago online. It dies really well and was really easy to make rainbow patterns out of as well as egg eye patterns.

I do remember I was searching to fluffy rayon yarn when I found it, can't guarantee that is what it is but that is what I was searching for some 10+ years ago.

F
fish_4_all
No luck but I was reminded by my wife that it was a pain in the arse to first find a yarn that would comb out and work for tying egg patterns and then it was even more work getting it unspun, straight and workable. Was really not worth the effort and the mess.

There has to be somewhere to buy unspun rayon and other yarn materials, one of us just has to find it.