When do winter steelhead arrive on coastal river systems?

M
masmith
This will be my first winter steelhead season.

I plan of fishing mostly the Nestucca, but will hit other coastal streams and maybe the Sandy as well. I really want to get the timing figured out primarily on the coastal systems.

When will we be seeing winters show up in tidewater? Also, will they hold in tidewater like the fall salmon runs, or do they shoot up stream quicker since the water level is higher?

Thanks.

G
GoneFishin2134
Beginning of Next month, it should definitely be on! I was just at the Clats. Caught some nice Chrome's. Just get everything ready for next month, or after thanksgiving.

S
solution7
GoneFishin2134 said:
Beginning of Next month, it should definitely be on! I was just at the Clats. Caught some nice Chrome's. Just get everything ready for next month, or after thanksgiving.

any tidewater sucess with steelhead I have heard of plunking spin n glows

M
masmith
Do they hold in tidewater or should I be starting out upriver.

S
steelhead_stalkers
From what I understand they move through tidewater pretty fast and don't seem to slow down and bite until they enter fresh water up river.

Admin
Admin
steelhead_stalkers said:
From what I understand they move through tidewater pretty fast and don't seem to slow down and bite until they enter fresh water up river.
Where is this spot on the Alsea?

Last edited:
S
steelhead_stalkers
Anatoliy said:
Where is this spot on the Alsea?

The spot where the steelhead stop and bite? :lol: I will let you know come December. LOL!

Admin
Admin
:lol:

B
bigfootfish
Stop & Bite!

Stop & Bite!

Where oh where will the winters be? They're the biggest steelhead around, with the possible exception of Snake River Steelhead.
I would suggest starting above the "normal" highest hide tide effect up from the tidewater zone. Five Rivers area of the Alsea, any of the Parks along the way, the mouth of Fall Creek, Drift Creek. What does anyone else think?
Anatoliy, do you know if the landowner along the lower Fall Creek, the West Side, still allows anglers to walk along the edge of his field? He used to have a "trail maintenence" donations box at the fenceladder there years ago.
Anyone else remember? It's been awhile since I paid attention driving by Fall Creek Bridge.

BFF

M
Mike123
Beware of the land owner just below Blackberry park!!
That guy rules that little strip of land with brutality!
I thought on any navigable river you can legally fish the high water mark??!! :think:

Anyone know anything about these types of laws?

S
simpsoti
Pg. 13 of the regs has a pretty detailed description of the water/land rights. Worth checking out. My interpretation is as long as you are below the 'line of ordinary high water' (vegetation line) you can use fish and travel up and down the waterway.

So as I read it you could access a river at a public access point (park) and travel up or downstream fishing so long as you remain below the high water line. Any thoughts?

Admin
Admin
That's how I understand it.

J
Jmiddlestadt
Mike123 said:
Beware of the land owner just below Blackberry park!!
That guy rules that little strip of land with brutality!
I thought on any navigable river you can legally fish the high water mark??!! :think:

Anyone know anything about these types of laws?
Here's the law. Maybe someone should drop one of these brochures in his mailbox! :lol:

M
Mike123
I tried telling this guy the LAW and he kept asking me "well, do you know where the high water mark is?" I said "YES! I'm below it right now cause Im standing in the water!"

Does anyone know where Im talking about? this year he has like 3 no trespassing signs up and they are posted WAY below the high water mark.

What's the proper action for dealing with this guy? Or is he in the right?
Is it possible that he owns the river bed?

J
Jmiddlestadt
Mike123 said:
I tried telling this guy the LAW and he kept asking me "well, do you know where the high water mark is?" I said "YES! I'm below it right now cause Im standing in the water!"

Does anyone know where Im talking about? this year he has like 3 no trespassing signs up and they are posted WAY below the high water mark.

:think: 503-986-5200.... I suppose you could call The department of State lands and ask what you could do..... This guys needs to relax! I would understand if you were on the bank, leaving behind garbage, or disrupting anything on his "land". :rolleyes: I'm not sure what you can do it that situation....maybe ask fish and game if you happen to see them in the area?:think:

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
As a member only...

As a member only...

Mike123 said:

I always start out playing nice.:dance: You know,be polite and explain that he doesn't understand the rules. Maybe even OFFer to share any fish caught in "his" water. If he's still nasty and unreasonable...ignore him and keep fishing. If he gets physical...well,I have really terrible aim when I'm casting at times. :whistle: Especially when I'm nervous because I'm being threatened. Not promoting violence here,just self preservation. :naughty: I'm not about to try to duke it out with anyone....unless I'm really ticked off due to their threats and actions. Then the gang attitude from the 60's comes out and I forget I'm a Grandmother...:confused: just saying as a member there has to be a line,even in the water. :protest:

J
Jmiddlestadt
Raincatcher said:
I always start out playing nice.:dance: You know,be polite and explain that he doesn't understand the rules. Maybe even OFFer to share any fish caught in "his" water. If he's still nasty and unreasonable...ignore him and keep fishing. If he gets physical...well,I have really terrible aim when I'm casting at times. :whistle: Especially when I'm nervous because I'm being threatened. Not promoting violence here,just self preservation. :naughty: I'm not about to try to duke it out with anyone....unless I'm really ticked off due to their threats and actions. Then the gang attitude from the 60's comes out and I forget I'm a Grandmother...:confused: just saying as a member there has to be a line,even in the water. :protest:

:clap::clap::clap::lol:

M
Mike123
Raincatcher said:

You want to go with me there tomorrow!?! :lol: :dance:

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
I hate fly by's

I hate fly by's

Mike123 said:
You want to go with me there tomorrow!?! :lol: :dance:

I really would IF the pizza I had for breakfast hadn't done a "fly by" 30 seconds after I swallowed the last bite. Maybe a rain check? Yeah,I know...pun intended.

M
masmith
Well, let me know if you hit any north coast streams and have any luck or hear of any winters being caught. I want to really hit the winter steel hard this year but I don't want to start too early.