Steelhead: summers vs winters

brandon4455
brandon4455
curious to know what everyone's opinions are on the two different runs. like which is your favorite to target and why? and for what reasons do you think that run of fish is better like which tastes better and quality of hatchery fish. and the advantages and disadvantages of fishing for them like bad conditions or more expensive gear for a certain technique etc. i want to see what run is more favored by the majority. or maybe a mixed crowd.. fire away!

Last edited:
Reactions: colbypearson
B
Bad Tuna
Summer steelhead! The water is warmer so they fight better, even later in the season their flesh is great. Warm weather is more condusive to allowing the younger kids to fish for them. Summer steelhead were never native to the Willamette valley, so you dont have to worry about pressuring any natives, and most fish can be kept. They are often eager biters. Some people say they can taste the difference between hatchery and native steelhead, I think they are full of BS.

S
skunk
I have no experience on summers, but I'll vote simply because I can. Summers=weather is getting nicer.

S
SantiamDrifter
Summers come in and have to wait up to 10 months spawn. Winters come in and spawn within 2-3 months. The winters fat all gets burned up preparing for spawning, while the summers hold onto their fat. So they fight better and taste better.

Not to mention the conditions are almost always better.

T
Thuggin4Life
Winters! Less monkeys! Weather isn't so bad. And the meat comes out of cold water instead of bath water. I also fish really close to salt so they are always fresh. Summers are fun too though but lots of things to do in the summer time other than fish with the monkeys. Also the summers i have close to town have swam a very long way.

P
plumb2fish
Early summers....up until may the summers taste way better in my opinion. Also I think that summers fight better. I have not had very many winters cartwheel out of a hole once hooked. I have had a late Feb. nate take me for a swim, but I was able to catch up to it and landed it. I have had a large early summer spool me heading up stream....I have been fortunate enough to catch large steel in the winter and summer and a big summer is harder to land I.M.O.

T
Throbbit _Shane
iv had a couple real nice fat winters go ape **** after hooking them this year. Jumping like 5 times during the fight, very awesome to see!

S
Santiam338
Summers!!

#1 They are more acrobatic..

#2 They are only 15 minutes away...

#3 There is enough daylight for a evening float after work..

#4 They are NOT 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours away..

#5 Did I mention they are only a 15 minute drive??

#6 The wife can shuttle me so no shuttle fees on top of 40 dollars for gas..

#7 Not near the problems with blown out rivers and waiting to go.

#8 You can wear a T shirt..

IMG_1649.jpg

IMG_1659.jpg

T
Throbbit _Shane
Santiam338 said:
Summers!!

#1 They are more acrobatic..

#2 They are only 15 minutes away...

#3 There is enough daylight for a evening float after work..

#4 They are NOT 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours away..

#5 Did I mention they are only a 15 minute drive??

#6 The wife can shuttle me so no shuttle fees on top of 40 dollars for gas..

#7 Not near the problems with blown out rivers and waiting to go.

#8 You can wear a T shirt..

IMG_1649.jpg

IMG_1659.jpg

#1 i havent caught a fresh summer yet, the one i did catch in january didn't fight at all.
#2 my fishing spot is 16 miles round trip.
#8 i caught some winters this year in a tee shirt :D
#9 nice pictures!!! and sweet fish :D

T
Thuggin4Life
Yeah early summers are a blast and close to home.

M
metalfisher76
I like STEELHEAD, um period:D

T
Throbbit _Shane
H
halibuthitman
winters... I prefer to suffer for for my fish-

S
Santiam338
halibuthitman said:
winters... I prefer to suffer for for my fish-

My front seaters were suffering a plenty yesterday..LOL Snow sleet ,hail, wind and driving rain yesterday and we all suffered through it..

I had to tie hooks for this guy..He was shivering to much..:shock:LOL

IMG_0129.jpg

Then I yelled "FISH ON".and they seemed to come out of their depression..:lol:

IMG_0113.jpg

After that they woke up a bit,but I think they were still longing for the boat ramp..:pray:

IMG_0131.jpg

H
halibuthitman
I wish I was man enough to say Ive never wanted out of a drift early... but I have a float I do every year we call the valley of the shadow of death... and its cold... cold like Hillary Roddham Clintons heart.. looks like you made lemonade out of lemons yesterday... nice-

M
markasd
Summers.
Better fighters and better eaters imho.
I use the same gear in the winter as I do in the summer, change out line size and bug size but use all the same rods/reels.

Not able to chase fish like I was a few years ago, but put in some serious time with the steelhead. I have yet to match the amount of winters landed in a day vs. summers - I have so much to learn though.
Maybe its me, but watching a summer run that you picked outta pocket water chase and hammer your offering is just chilling...

Absolutely Summers for me.

P
Phil_Bud
Winters...bigger usually...something about catching a steelhead in the snow.

brandon4455
brandon4455
thanks for you opinions everyone and santiam338- thanks for sharing your pics those are awesome.

R
RunWithSasquatch
Nice fish Bill! And my opinion, is who ever is on my line for that day.... though I do envy the spring time sun...!!

W
waco
IDK yet i just started fishing but im really liking winters!!!