Steelhead Success on the Sandy Today!!

M
mgdguy
Headed out to Oxbow early this morning hoping (once again) to hook into my first local Steelhead or Springer. Fished the hole with bobber and jig with a rubber "Q" tail. Once I saw them around, rolling up the surface, I was determined not to walk away skunked once again. within the fist hour BOOM, fish on! Go to set the hook, pull up, only to hear too loose of a drag. Fish OFF :mad: Ok, good lesson - tighten the drag a few more clicks :rolleyes: I also noticed that I was moving my jig in a little closer to the bank when I got the strike. Hmmm...I bet when that tail on the jig MOVES under the bobber, it looks a lot more enticing! So that's what I started doing - reeling and 'pulling' the jig a little through the hole. Not long after - FISH ON! Set the hook and this time it stays on :D As soon as we get fighting this steely makes 3 to 4 great leaps out of the water. It's all I can do to keep the line tight as it try to throw it.

Got him to the bank and see it's a native. Beautiful chrome summer with nice rainbow sides. Probably 9-10 pounds and around 30" I would guess.

This is the biggest fish I've ever had on. My heart was racing. Can't keep him, and don't even want to pull him up to the bank, but I need to get a pic dammit! So I pull him up along parallel, swimming alongside the bank. He's calm. Crap where's my camera phone?! Of course it's in my bag 10 feet behind me. Along with the pliers :rolleyes: So with one hand on the rod I try to slowly walk back to grab both, while keeping the fish in the water. As soon as I turn my head to look in the pocket for the camera, BAM! The fish is gone along with my jig :rolleyes:

Anyway despite not getting a pic, or getting to bring a fish home, it was an awesome morning. And I've learned a few more things that I think will bring me better success from now on.

I guess last weeks trout really DID get the skunk off me! :lol:

V
VagrantAngler
Nice job not only getting into a one but also recognizing what needed to happen to get into a second. Sounds like a great day on the river :clap:

M
metalmania
Hell ya man good job:clap:. That's great you got into more than one fish as well. My first was a native to, and I didn't get a pic either:(.

F
FishSlayer420
Atleast someone is catching fish I have been stuck inside my house for the past week with a headache that has lasted all week killin me. Nice job on the fish by the way. We can keep native Steel up here on the MAC and WILLY in my neck of the woods.FISH ON!

J
just1nook
Congrats on the catch.

F
Fishtopher
Right on man!

F
FreshWater
Way to go!! Congrats!!

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Bye-bye stinky..

Bye-bye stinky..

That is one of life's greatest feelings! :D Congratulations for bringing it to the bank. :clap: Bet we know where you will be in your spare time for a while. :lol: Here's hoping you get to take the next one to dinner...:pray: :D
Be safe.
Barb

K
Kodiak
Good On ya Mate!!!

I
I Grade
It feels sooo good to get the skunky stench of fishing failure off of yourself. I wish you many more sucessful trips in the future. I got skunked on the Sandy at Oxbow on Sunday. Oh well, its so pretty up there that I really dont care if I go home fishless. Of course the wife prefers meat on the grill, but I am a vegetarian most of the time....so I ate tofu while she pouted. Maybe next weekend.

I Grade

J
Justluck
Congrats! Sorry it was a native but the catch sure feels great anyways ! well done.

G
Green_Tackle
Great job. Congrats!

K
koboabe
awesome man, grats.

M
mgdguy
Thanks everyone! Here's to many more this season :D

Chromatose
Chromatose
No looking back now.................... Congrats on the first of many!!!

A
Anyfishisfine
Now that you have the skunk off, me tagging along next time is sure to bring it back, although if our Hagg lake experience is anything to go by I'll be landing the Chinook :)

kidholiday
kidholiday
mgdguy said:
Headed out to Oxbow early this morning hoping (once again) to hook into my first local Steelhead or Springer. Fished the hole with bobber and jig with a rubber "Q" tail. Once I saw them around, rolling up the surface, I was determined not to walk away skunked once again. within the fist hour BOOM, fish on! Go to set the hook, pull up, only to hear too loose of a drag. Fish OFF :mad: Ok, good lesson - tighten the drag a few more clicks :rolleyes: I also noticed that I was moving my jig in a little closer to the bank when I got the strike. Hmmm...I bet when that tail on the jig MOVES under the bobber, it looks a lot more enticing! So that's what I started doing - reeling and 'pulling' the jig a little through the hole. Not long after - FISH ON! Set the hook and this time it stays on :D As soon as we get fighting this steely makes 3 to 4 great leaps out of the water. It's all I can do to keep the line tight as it try to throw it.

Got him to the bank and see it's a native. Beautiful chrome summer with nice rainbow sides. Probably 9-10 pounds and around 30" I would guess.

This is the biggest fish I've ever had on. My heart was racing. Can't keep him, and don't even want to pull him up to the bank, but I need to get a pic dammit! So I pull him up along parallel, swimming alongside the bank. He's calm. Crap where's my camera phone?! Of course it's in my bag 10 feet behind me. Along with the pliers :rolleyes: So with one hand on the rod I try to slowly walk back to grab both, while keeping the fish in the water. As soon as I turn my head to look in the pocket for the camera, BAM! The fish is gone along with my jig :rolleyes:

Anyway despite not getting a pic, or getting to bring a fish home, it was an awesome morning. And I've learned a few more things that I think will bring me better success from now on.

I guess last weeks trout really DID get the skunk off me! :lol:

Hey I saw you that day, i was the guy with his lady with him out walking checking out the river. I take it you didn't get anymore fish. Bummer.

M
mgdguy
kidholiday said:
Hey I saw you that day, i was the guy with his lady with him out walking checking out the river. I take it you didn't get anymore fish. Bummer.

Nice! Hello and a late welcome to OFF :)

Nope, no more action that day. I went again yesterday and had a couple hook ups but I believe they were some trout that were hanging out at the hole :think: I might head out there again this evening...

A
Anyfishisfine
mgdguy said:
I might head out there again this evening...

Remember how you wanted to sleep in this morning? That was a mistake. :dance:

F
FishSlayer420
Always get up to go fishin