Steelhead spots

P
plunkme
anyone know any place good for steelhead fishing for a beginner? mainly float and jig? i know of high rock and the deep hole near river side forgot what its called, haven't fished them yet. just starting out so not looking for any place that is secret or anything, just a place that has fish and a place that isn't combat fishing i had enough of that at woodland this year, I live near clackamas town center so i don't really want to go more the 30 mins away, you can pm me or you can take me, that is if i don't have school during those days
thanks

M
meluvtrout
Google:
Clackamas: Bonnie Lure Park, Eagle Creek, Eagle Fern Park, Cross Park, Barton, Bowling Alley Hole, Milo McIver Park(probably late summers here)
Sandy: Dodge Park, Cedar Creek, Lewis and Clark etc.

Better yet, spend some money and get a map(if you want to do your own scouting) or hire a guide to save your future unnecessary expenses for products that are -most of the time- nothing but shiny, glittery, feathery magical things that catches fishermen more than fish! A good guide will put you in the right direction on what to use where...
Map is from Amato publishings and called Oregon Rivers. There is also a book that talks about all Oregon streams and lakes, and suggests tackle to use for each location. I don't remember what it's called now, but they have updates -I believe- almost every year to the book.

Good luck...

B
beaverfan
The book you speak of is titled "Fishing in Oregon" I believe. If it's not the same one your talking about it's just like it.

B
bigsteel
fishing in oregon by madellyne sheehan,,,,great book and very resourseful...

Y
Yentz
I agree the Fishing in Oregon book is a good one. I think it's about $30 down at Fishermens Marine.

For Plunking, Meldrum Bar is the old standbye spot for Steelhead, although it's kinda blown out right now.

D
dude young
Yentz said:
I agree the Fishing in Oregon book is a good one. I think it's about $30 down at Fishermens Marine.

For Plunking, Meldrum Bar is the old standbye spot for Steelhead, although it's kinda blown out right now.

+2 on that book. Save a few pesos for gas and gear, check out the stacks at Powell's for a used copy. They were there the last time I was browsing.

Riverside, Clackamette, High Rocks... ...all good places to learn how to read different water. There are fish there. Sure, there will be people too, but I have yet to feel crowded inn the usual spots. And, heck, there is a reason those places get hit so hard, they are easy to access and produce fish. You never know who you will run into down there, perhaps a familiar face from the forum.

Last edited: