Steelhead spinners

O

OutdoorsTeen

What steelhead spinners do the OFF members use? I am like the panther martins.

J

Johnny Southpaw

never had much luck with panther martins for steelhead-they tend to be pretty light IMO and it's hard to get them down in the "zone." As far as store-bought spinners go, blue foxes are my choice. Hard to beat homemade spinners-nothing like catching a chrome beauty on something of your own creation.

D

DirectDrive

never had much luck with panther martins for steelhead-they tend to be pretty light IMO and it's hard to get them down in the "zone."
No way.
The 1/2 oz size is one of the fastest sinking store-bought spinners out there. In fact you have to watch where you cast it so you don't snag up.
It uses what's called an in-line blade and is a good design to learn on because it does require too much finesse to operate.

As far as store-bought spinners go, blue foxes are my choice. Hard to beat homemade spinners-nothing like catching a chrome beauty on something of your own creation.
Jed Davis describes BF as under-weighted and I agree.
Yep, rolling your own is best.

H

halibuthitman

Yeah that red bodied gold bladed Panther Martin is a sledge hammer for the steel from what ive seen.... If I had to put one spinner into my sons hand trying to get him a fish, it would have to be the Mepps glo series in a size 4 with the black/white body and pink/white blade.... but they lift quickly, its the only spinner I almost always fish cast across and upstream retreaved down hill with the slowest retrieve it can take.... DEADLY

D

Damon79

They aren't spinners, but Thomas Lures work wonders for Summer fish. Probly work just as well for Winter fish in the right water conditions.

S

Steelheader4Life

For deeper holes and a little higher water I prefer a Blue Fox. But I don't think anything can beat the BUD'S. They are less then $2 a piece and are deadly steelhead slayers in lower water. I use sizes 3, 4 & 5 all depening on the conditions.

Y

youngbuck307

I fish spinners that I twist myself...... Nothing really beats a home made spinner best thing is make any color combo u want!

O

OutdoorsTeen

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have used the red bodied gold blade one for trout and used it so much i lost the 3 i had using it for them. caught oms monsters.

P

ProfessorChromology

For deeper holes and a little higher water I prefer a Blue Fox. But I don't think anything can beat the BUD'S. They are less then $2 a piece and are deadly steelhead slayers in lower water. I use sizes 3, 4 & 5 all depening on the conditions.

AMEN - Steelhead by Bud! Amazing lures at a great price. "Silver and gold, silver and gold...."