Steelhead spin rod and reel selection advice needed.

H
halibuthitman
you already bought a reel so I guess this advise is for anyone reading that is still looking. fast retrieving reels are great for trout but with spoons and spinners for steel slowing down your gear can be tough, I often use smaller reels with a slower retrieve for hardware, baitcasters give you a great deal of ability to kill too much action on your hardware, you gotta keep it down, and often fast retrieve reels will make this very difficult, so if your new and not already instituionalized to the spin reel, you might want to go with a baitcaster- just sayin

troutdude
troutdude
Otto said:
OK.. So thanks for all the advise I got on this thread, I bought a rod and reel off some desperate soul on Craigslist. I bought a IM8 with a Shimano Symetre reel for under $100.

I guess it takes patience, sometimes the deals just come your way.

Yep. Patience really is a virtue. It's also quite handy, when perusing Craig's list, eBay, garage sales, etc. I learned a long time ago, to be patient in those arena's...and have found some really great deals.

My latest Craig's list example is a WW Griggs 9' 6wt. rod (like new) and an Okuma reel (with line), for only $10!!!

So, bide your time and keep looking. The deals ARE out there.

N
NWFisher1
Buy the best reel with the best drag system. The Stradic is a much better reel with a great drag.

M
Mad dog
NWFisher1 said:
Buy the best reel with the best drag system. The Stradic is a much better reel with a great drag.

Word!!! :clap:

And then match it with the best rod you can afford! There is no comparison between a 70 dollar Berley rod and a 200-300 dollar higher quality rod. I have a Rogue rod that is absolutely magic....my favorite rod of all time....I feel everything! I think with lower quality rods, a lot of anglers miss bites that a non factory built rod will detect. Lot's of guys missing bites out there! ;)