Steelhead/salmon

O
OnTheDrop
Anyone been hitting the clackamas at all? Lower, Mid, High? Wondering how you guys were doing. I figured the water was starting to warm up and the bite should be on?

V
VagrantAngler
I'll be out Thursday afternoon on the Clack. In the A.M. i will be at the bulkhead trying to nail a Springer for the first light bite. Water temps ARE up a little bit and the bite SHOULD be improved. Letme know how you do if you're going to be out before Wednesday.

F
fishingfreak
I went out to the Lower Clackamas today seen a few jump and roll. Seen quite a few above the rapids laying in tailouts. Used Sandshrimp, Jigs, spinners, but they would not commit or even light bite. Seen 2 come out of the rapids early. But after that all the anglers I talked to were having no luck pissiing them off enough to bite. Hopefully with the nice weather coming the fishing will improve. Good Luck guys. I will be back out on the Lower Clack and working my way up on Thursday or Friday.
LA

V
VagrantAngler
I'll be out Thursday in the PM. Cross park maybe or I might get a wild hair and shoot up all the way to McIver and fish teh slot above the Hatchery...depends on how bad I want to eat Steel for dinner.

F
fishingfreak
I think I will hit Mciver early Thursday morning and work the holes down to cross park. We should meet up sometime and do some fishing together. I am a newbie to steelhead and salmon fishing. Maybe you could give me some pointers? let me know. I fish anytime anyplace.
LA

O
osmosis
fished above barton on some private property today and got 2. One on sandshrimp and one on a #4 spinner. As soon as the river drops another 6-8inches it'll be on!

V
VagrantAngler
I was planning on plunking early on Thursday but screw it. I'll meet you up at McIver if you want. Still have to do some more testing with Kodiaks coon shrimp any ways. Still have lots of TCO spinners to use against the evil hatchery steelhead also.

F
fishingfreak
What time do you want to meet at mciver. I usually hit there about 4:30am to 5:00am. To get a good spot. I can meet you at the parking lot. I will be in a green convertible. I would like to see what you use to get the Steelhead going? Let me know?
LA

F
fishingfreak
I wish i could get private property access above Barton. I usually have to do a long hike from Barton Park to try to access any good holes. When I take people with me they hate it because I hike for miles to get into some good fishing sometimes. It doesn't Bother me if I land a good one.
LA

V
VagrantAngler
I'll meet you up there around 5. Hopefully it won't be too crowded up there this early in the season. When it gets going really good I stop hittin it up to avoid the crowds and will fish up higher at the OFF hole or down lower on the river. We'll see on Thursday how the crowds look...

I'm driving a black Hyundai Hatchback.

F
fishingfreak
Its not too bad I usually cross the creek and I will hold you a spot if people start piling in. So if I am not by my car I will be across the creek where I caught my first and only Chrome. That spot is special in my heart now. Awww I feel all warm and fuzzy.:lol: It usually isn't bad during the week until about 7:30am. See you then, Thanks for fishing witha rookie!:clap:

LA

V
VagrantAngler
Gotcha, I'll have to unpack the waders tonight I guess if we're crossing the creek....Now where did i put those...

F
fishingfreak
Ya, I just went and bought a pair because the last time I was there at 4:00am I fell in the creek, lost my fishing knife, and filled my rubber boots with water. Didn't bother me I just kept on fishing, with wet feet all day. See ya in the AM.
LA

C
Cohosanders
Hey....thought I would jump in and ask about Rivermill.....are there any steelhead srays right now that make it that way or any springers hanging out there right now??? Since it so close to McIver I thought maybe now might be good???:think::think::think: Anyway go kill it tomorrow:clap:!!!

V
VagrantAngler
It might have a few up there bt that water in the clack is still sooooo cold that I'm not ready to target that stretch. Still a little early for McIver to be crackin too but there'll be a mix of summers, winters and the slim slim chance of a springer.