Steelhead/salmon seasons?

B
burlafisherman
Hello everyone. Noobie here, but since I have been salmon fishing around Estacada area on the clackamas river, I've been hearing a lot lately about steelhead. Thing is, I never know when the seasons are for winter steelhead, spring and summer. I only know for fall salmon. Anybody can help me out as to what months are good for what fish, and what body of water around the estacada area. Thanks guys much appreciated.

D
DrTheopolis
There's steelhead in the Estacada/McIver area pretty much year-round. Spring chinook will make it up that way in the next month or so. You might find a few more fish in the Barton/Eagle Creek area.

troutdude
troutdude
Should be both winter, and summer, steel in there in April. Springers too.

B
burlafisherman
DrTheopolis said:
There's steelhead in the Estacada/McIver area pretty much year-round. Spring chinook will make it up that way in the next month or so. You might find a few more fish in the Barton/Eagle Creek area.
Awesome! Thanks for the heads up! Will be writing down on my calendar.

B
burlafisherman
troutdude said:
Should be both winter, and summer, steel in there in April. Springers too.
Wow! A little bit of everything, right? I will be using a bobber and salmon roe. What other strategies work well there?

C
chodathug
Steelhead/salmon seasons?

Floating jigs works well for steelies pretty much any river and it's easy and fun to do. The nightmare pattern (black/red/some other color like white) is always a go-to for a lot of guys. If you decide to use that technique, get a variety of colors as the fish can be picky sometimes on what they want that day. Also pick up some pink worms with a white jig head, and float that under your bobber as well. You can fish them with the same rigging you use for a jig, so it's easy to swap out if the fish aren't having the jigs. You can also float a bead under the bobber as well. I've heard a lot of guys have luck with them too (not me though yet).

Hope that helps a bit and good luck out there!

Last edited: