Steelhead, salmon above reservoir

G
gopher
Are there steelhead and/or salmon above Fall Creek Reservoir?

Thanks

R
rippin fish lips
I'm sure there isn't. unless they recycle the steelhead up there.

N
nwkiller
acaully there is salmon up there, and some big trout...the salmon are a project that ODFW id doing trying to make something happen or just see what the reaction is, BUT...you are not allowed to fish for them or keep them if hooked! the big trout that are in there are retainable, they are just hatcheries that have grown to decent size, ive pulled out a 20" fish in a tiny pocket up there, and had a guy tell me that he spooked a monster rainbow up there as well......

R
rippin fish lips
thanks for clarifying that nwkiller, i wasn't sure.

G
gopher
Thanks...

Thanks...

Thanks - I checked with ODFW and they have a program to see if Chinook can make it and spawn up there. I saw 15+ of them in a pool more than 10 miles upstream from the reservoir.

T
Thuggin4Life
Yeah some people always told me about a ladder at the dam but I have never seen it and have made more trips along the dam than i could even try to guess at a number. I have seen salmon in some of the deep holes in the creek above the lake when i was like 17 so thats a good 7 years back and every once in a while i have found them in more recent years and know people that have seen them. I had to prove my buddy wrong about the ladder issue so i made some calls. Turns out there is a diverting/holding pond below the dam and the truck them up. And until this year I have always thought the dumped then in the creek but know I have reason to believe that the dump them in the lake. YOU CANNOT FISH FOR THEM. And if you are up there using anything other than trout gear you are asking fo a ticket. And I wouldn't even fish my trout gear in a hole where the salmon are and its obvious what guys are doing when you see them doing so. Its a small creek and you will know right away if there are salmon in the hole you are fishing. I still would like to know what the idea behind this is, Maybe for nutrients from spawning/dieingsalmon? I thought that the landlocked chinook I was catching could be byproducts of this but most of them have clipped fins but you can't find a stocking schedule for them and they are in a lot of lakes. who knows what the deal is behind all this but when i was on the phone the mentioned the lake being so low in the winter to help with the pressure change the salmon go through trying to make it out of the lake but they said most of them die trying to leave the lake so I have a fealling this all adds up to the land locked chinook thing too.

G
gopher
Fall Creek salmon

Fall Creek salmon

I was told it is to see if they can make it and even spawn so they can seek a fish ladder in later re-authorizations of the dam.

T
Thuggin4Life
that makes sense but why stock the lake with juveniles?

troutdude
troutdude
Hey Gopher...welcome to the forum!

H
heystoopid01
How's the bass fishing?

How's the bass fishing?

Me and the wife want to check out fall creek this weekend. Never been up there, but I heard the bass fishing was pretty good. Any suggestions or tips would be great. There is a campground up there too right?

T
Thuggin4Life
Many campgrounds above the lake but the one on the lake isn't boat friendly since the drained the lake down. good luck i always see people bassin in the coves.

H
Halfthrive
nwkiller said:
acaully there is salmon up there, and some big trout...the salmon are a project that ODFW id doing trying to make something happen or just see what the reaction is, BUT...you are not allowed to fish for them or keep them if hooked! the big trout that are in there are retainable, they are just hatcheries that have grown to decent size, ive pulled out a 20" fish in a tiny pocket up there, and had a guy tell me that he spooked a monster rainbow up there as well......

It's not ODFW but the Corps of Engineers in charge of the salmon on fall creek. Its all part of the Willamette BIOP that there doing to improve native salmon populations throughout the Willamette river basin.

H
Halfthrive
Thuggin4Life said:
Yeah some people always told me about a ladder at the dam but I have never seen it and have made more trips along the dam than i could even try to guess at a number. I have seen salmon in some of the deep holes in the creek above the lake when i was like 17 so thats a good 7 years back and every once in a while i have found them in more recent years and know people that have seen them. I had to prove my buddy wrong about the ladder issue so i made some calls. Turns out there is a diverting/holding pond below the dam and the truck them up. And until this year I have always thought the dumped then in the creek but know I have reason to believe that the dump them in the lake. YOU CANNOT FISH FOR THEM. And if you are up there using anything other than trout gear you are asking fo a ticket. And I wouldn't even fish my trout gear in a hole where the salmon are and its obvious what guys are doing when you see them doing so. Its a small creek and you will know right away if there are salmon in the hole you are fishing. I still would like to know what the idea behind this is, Maybe for nutrients from spawning/dieingsalmon? I thought that the landlocked chinook I was catching could be byproducts of this but most of them have clipped fins but you can't find a stocking schedule for them and they are in a lot of lakes. who knows what the deal is behind all this but when i was on the phone the mentioned the lake being so low in the winter to help with the pressure change the salmon go through trying to make it out of the lake but they said most of them die trying to leave the lake so I have a fealling this all adds up to the land locked chinook thing too.

They do have a trap. It's small but some years they get a few thousand fish during the run. My dad has been hauling fish out of there for the Corp for over thirty years now, and sometimes he would let me watch as they loaded the truck up with fish. Before they put that screw trap below the dam the fishing was really good at the boundry marker.

R
rippin fish lips
Thuggin4Life said:
And until this year I have always thought the dumped then in the creek but know I have reason to believe that the dump them in the lake. YOU CANNOT FISH FOR THEM. And if you are up there using anything other than trout gear you are asking fo a ticket.

they do dumb em in the lake, a few years ago i saw 2 salmon under nthe winberry dock at thewinberry boat ramp.

T
TTFishon
rippin fish lips said:
Thuggin4Life said:
And until this year I have always thought the dumped then in the creek but know I have reason to believe that the dump them in the lake. YOU CANNOT FISH FOR THEM. And if you are up there using anything other than trout gear you are asking fo a ticket.

they do dumb em in the lake, a few years ago i saw 2 salmon under nthe winberry dock at thewinberry boat ramp.

I saw a bunch of them in Cougar too this year.

troutdude
troutdude
Why can you not angle for them? That's weird.

They dump surplus Steelies into Olalla regulary. And, you can keep them if caught.

T
Thuggin4Life
They want them to go up in the creek and spawn.

T
TTFishon
The ones I saw were pretty dark so I'm not sure you'd want to fish for them anyway.