Steelhead rod weight

K
ketts05
I was wondering how light of a rod you would consider using for steelhead. I found a few suggestions on this sight but I was wondering if using a 5 wt is absolutely crazy. It just so happens that I have an old (rather cheap) 5/6 wt that is collecting dust that I was considering trying for steelhead with. I don't actually think I'll catch anything but I'm not at a point I can necessarily afford replacing a rod if it can't handle the stress. So what do you all think 5/6 wt too light?

O
osmosis
I use a 5wt for steelhead and coho in low water. It hinders casting distance with much more than a split shot or two so in my opinion the 5wt is much better suited for creeks and low water. It's not so nice in situations where you have to horse on fish to keep 'em out of obstructions.
I say if you got it why not go have some fun

K
ketts05
I like the way you think. Thanks a lot!

B
bendflyguy
If you plan on fishing rivers like the Deschutes, you better get yourself an 8 wt.

G
GDBrown
Rod and line weight

Rod and line weight

bendflyguy said:
If you plan on fishing rivers like the Deschutes, you better get yourself an 8 wt.

I have started choosing my rod by conditions (water, weather, fly) more than the fish I'm after. If it's windy I leave the 4wt in the tube and get out the 6wt, unless I'm using heavy streamers or larger weighted nymphs, then out comes the 8wt. The lighter the gear the more fun I have with fish. I may loose a few but they are a lot more fun to catch on light rods and line! I watched a guy land a 12lb steelhead on a 3wt setup and he had no trouble controlling the fish. It took longer to land but that just extended the fun! That's why I'm on the water anyway.:cool:

L
Lostinthemix
I use a sage RPL+ 9'6 6wt and havent felt undergunned yet, I use it for silvers too.
Lost

R
Rokjak
Rod Weight?

Rod Weight?

I started Steellhead fishing with an Orvis 9'5" Spring Creek 5 weight, and found that I had to play them to long to bring them in. Came home from fishing one time and sat my pole down to get a brew out of my garage fridge the pole slid over while shutting the fridge door finished the rod forever.:( Saved up my coin and purchased a Sage 9'6" RPL 8 weight and a Scientific Angler System 2, 78 Reel. Now I can play a little and then bring the fish in still in good enough shape to release. Play a Steelhead or any fish to long and they build up lactic acid and will not survive. :( Good luck on your purchase. Jack L.

L
Lostinthemix
I bet that 8wt rpl is a rocket, I have an old sage ds 7wt that I have never liked and my rpl+ 6wt throws a 7wt line better than that ds sage I have(and am gonna get rid of it, I have never liked the action of that ds) I like the spl sage rods as well,I havent bought a new sage in yrs since they started making them in a rainbow of colors . Last time I bought a sage it was either brown, green, or blue depending on the series. Good rods,I've been fishing with sage rods since I was a teenager and have never had a failure of any kind(knock on wood now they r prob all gonna break lol).
Scott isn't a bad rod for the money if you don't want to spend the money on a sage. If you're gonna get a less expensive rod I'd prob go a little heavier like maybe a 8wt because they seem to be a little softer action, I've never found the need for a rod that heavy but some seem to like them but I don't fish huge water either.
Good luck,
Lost

M
MontanaMoose
Lactic acid build up...

Lactic acid build up...

Thanks for posting that Rokjak, i'm not sure how many salmon/steelhead fishermen, fly or otherwise know about this. It is mentioned in the regs under 'releasing fish unharmed' of course.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Rokjak said:
I started Steellhead fishing with an Orvis 9'5" Spring Creek 5 weight, and found that I had to play them to long to bring them in. Play a Steelhead or any fish to long and they build up lactic acid and will not survive. :( Good luck on your purchase. Jack L.

A
Alaskan Assassin
Go for a 7 or 8 weight for sure. 5 weight is too light you might get schooled on a big steelie which is never good. If your getting a new rod go for a Spey rod. Spey is the way!