Steelhead rivers, photos?

G
grantm
I am a photographer working on a fly fishing book to be published in the fall of 2010. I have photographed trout rivers in the Rocky Mountain west but never worked in Oregon or Washington (Grande Ronde the one exception). I am due to be in WA and OR from the last week of Oct into the first half of Nov. I am hoping I can call on the knowledge of this forum to suggest a few steelhead river photo locations in WA and/or OR -- the priorities being 1. aesthetics and 2. reasonable access.

Many thanks in advance, Grant

L
lizardman
Show us some of your work as most of us appreciate fine photography. :)

Dave

J
JeeperGal
I think the deschutes river is one of the most beautiful in oregon, showcasing a climate most out-of-staters don't realize oregon has (high desert)

also, the wilson river and nestucca rivers for the more rainy type coast range forest

G
grantm
Appreciate your help JeeperGal. I definitely will visit the Deschutes. Grant

L
lizardman
Grant,
The John Day River has been known for people fly fishing for steel, and the Umatilla river has some very nice land and water scapes as well as some who fly fish there.

Good Luck in your search,
Dave

R
rainman
I floated the upper McKenzie River once in a drift boat. It was by far the best drift I'd ever done. Very beautiful stretch of water. The McKenzie Highway runs alongside it for a long ways.

G
grantm
Thanks, Dave, and good luck to you. Grant

G
grantm
Excellent. Thanks for the tip, rainman. Grant

M
masmith
nestucca and deschutes, sandy close 3rd

J
JeannaJigs
Upper McKenzie and the upper Deschutes

R
redhawk50
I like the Wilson River, very scenic and easy access on Hwy 6 to the coast. Also the McKenzie has some very scenic classic steelhead runs for fly fishing.

G
grantm
I appreciate it, masmith. I had not heard of the Nestucca but you guys seem to like a lot. I'll go there. Grant

K
koboabe
its hard to pic a fav.
Wilson and Nestucca are great
The Rouge and Umpqua are both awesome.
the Kalama is also pretty fresh

G
grantm
Koboabe, thanks. A couple of new name in the mix. Grant

S
steelheadstalker31
I would also say the upper Mckenzie. It's pretty famous fly fishing water. There are huge water fall's and at least one covered bridge that could provide a nice backdrop for some photo's.

G
grantm
Sounds great. Thanks steelheadstalker31, Grant

C
CFishRun
I hear the Umpqua is one of the most idyllic steelhead waters in Oregon. I'll be going their this winter and I'm most likely going to purchase a camera just for that trip. A river doesn't get scratched on paper by the great outdoor writers in history (Zane Grey, Ted Trueblood, Francis Ames etc etc) without having some awe inspiring scenery.

G
grantm
I've seen some great photographs of the Umpqua. Look forward to giving it a try. Thanks, Grant