Steelhead reports from ODFW

troutdude
troutdude
From last week's Recreation Report:

• The first group of winter steelhead are starting to trickle into north and mid-coast rivers, including North Fork Nehalem, Necanicum, Alsea and the Lower Columbia tributaries.
  • Summer steelhead fishing continues to be very good in the middle and upper Rogue.
  • The first winter steelhead have arrived in the Clackamas and Sandy rivers.

Reactions: RiverWalker
jamisonace
jamisonace
I'd say this year can't be worse than last year but I don't want to jinx it.

Last year I actually had a pretty good January but it died from there. I heard of a fish caught in Roseburg a couple days ago. I'm sure there are a few up here but the first real push is yet to arrive I think. I'm guessing with this weekends rain, we'll see some fish on the move.

Reactions: RiverWalker and troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
From yesterday's Rec Report update:
  • On the north coast hatchery winter steelhead are being caught on the North Fork Nehalem, Necanicum, and the Lower Columbia Tribs (Klaskanine R, Big Creek, and Gnat Creek).
  • Nehalem hatchery released 60 surplus winter steelhead into Coffenbury Lake this week. These fish will bite in the lake and catching a winter steelhead in still water can be a fun and unique experience.
  • Winter steelhead have started showing up in the Alsea, and a few have been caught in the North Fork.
  • Steelhead anglers are starting to catch an occasional fish in the lower portions of the Coos Basin.
  • The first winter steelhead have arrived in the Clackamas and Sandy rivers. And there should be some in Eagle Creek before you know it.

jamisonace
jamisonace
And not mentioned in that list...the Umpqua. Not on fire but found one this morning. Worked about 2 hours for this one.

• 20211209_103209.jpg
Reactions: Totuava and troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
#ISEECHROME!

Totuava
Totuava
I'm really looking forward to the steelhead season this winter. Going to try using beads mostly. Both soft and hard. If I'm going to get skunked, at least make it a learning experience.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Totuava said:
I'm really looking forward to the steelhead season this winter. Going to try using beads mostly. Both soft and hard. If I'm going to get skunked, at least make it a learning experience.
My unsolicited advice is save a little time and money and just use soft beads. Everyone is gravitating to soft. Use a little scent on them and they will get bit.

Totuava
Totuava
jamisonace said:
My unsolicited advice is save a little time and money and just use soft beads. Everyone is gravitating to soft. Use a little scent on them and they will get bit.
I have about a half dozen soft beads of different sizes and colors. Not sure what scent to use, but I'll try a couple and see. Thanks for the advice.

Grant22
Grant22
Totuava said:
I have about a half dozen soft beads of different sizes and colors. Not sure what scent to use, but I'll try a couple and see. Thanks for the advice.
I like krill

jamisonace
jamisonace
Totuava said:
If I could only use one size, color and scent it would be an 8mm mottled pink with anise bloody tuna.

jamisonace
jamisonace
jamisonace said:
If I could only use one size, color and scent it would be an 8mm mottled pink with anise bloody tuna.
Any guesses what this big boy hit this morning along with his wild brothers? I'll give a hint. 8mm mottled pink.

Reactions: troutdude, Totuava and DOKF
jamisonace
jamisonace
jamisonace said:
Any guesses what this big boy hit this morning along with his wild brothers? I'll give a hint. 8mm mottled pink.

Sorry guys....I got that fish on a 12mm not 8. But mottled pink is always good.