Steelhead reels

S
schroegp
Got a new baitcasting rod for christmas. I figured you all would have a favorite reel to match with it so I'm looking for recommendations. It's a medium weight lamiglas rod I plan on using for steelhead. I've used a spinning rod in the past, and haven't bought a baitcasting reel in a while. Thanks for the help.

F
FluffyFisherman
I have got the Abu Garcia Revo S on a 8"6 medium lamaglass and love it.

M
metalmania
Go revo:D.

H
here2fish
+1 for the revo. have the sx and the stx, both rock

S
schroegp
Thanks guys, sounds unanimous so far! Now if the rivers will quit getting blown out on my only days off...

A
adambomb
metalmania said:

The Revo S was/is my first baitcaster, and I LOVE IT!! The SX model has a higher gear ratio for faster retrieves, and the next model up has a secondary magnetic brake that is totally useless, from what I've heard. Also, check Wal-mart, I think they carry the S for 89 bucks too.

M
Mike123
Geese one sided board we got here... lol..

I like my Trion a lot!! I have a revo as well...

I'd go with a Trion or President... Not too sure I like my Revo all that much yet.. it is smoother than the Trion, but I'm a bigger fan of the upper Pflueger reels.

Also the Trion and I think the President as well have bigger spools and a higher drag lb rating than the Revo's in case you want to use them for drift fishing for Chinook. I used my Trion last year for Springers and it had plenty of drag and held 20lb line nicely.

S
steelhead_stalkers
I put in a vote for the Shimano Curado or any other Shimano. Great reels!

G
ghostcow
I like my Curado, also got a Shimano Citica which is very similar but doesn't have same quality feel.

R
rainman
My spin caster is a Shimano Sedona 4000FB. Baitcaster is a Abu Garcia 6501C3. All are left handed models.

Reactions: OnTheFly
H
Halfthrive
I've used a shimano Cardiff 301 for 8 years now and still love it. My wife just got me a Calcutta 201 for christmas, I'm droolin at the thought of taking it out. I've fished with Abu Garcia's and there pretty solid reels, but I will NEVER buy a Pflueger reel again. I got a president spinning reel and it's the worst reel I've ever had, my shimano symetre's blow it away.

Shimano is the best hands down, ask the guy at your local tackel shop(not the big chains).

Reactions: OnTheFly
H
here2fish
adambomb said:
The Revo S was/is my first baitcaster, and I LOVE IT!! The SX model has a higher gear ratio for faster retrieves, and the next model up has a secondary magnetic brake that is totally useless, from what I've heard. Also, check Wal-mart, I think they carry the S for 89 bucks too.

Actually the main difference is the materials used for inner parts. STX has stainless steel bearings and titanium worm drive. I can cast a 4 berry cluster with no weight as far as anyone with a spinning setup. With the sx this is a bit more challenging.

Last edited:
O
OneMore
My vote would be shimano curado, or if you are on a budget get the shimano cruxis for 50 bucks at bi-mart. Of course the curado is far better but for 50 bucks the cruxis is worth it. I fished my 50 doller cruxis for over a year now and cought steelhead, coho, and chinook:shock: on it. As far as the pflueger I owned a trion spinning reel and a trion baitcaster. The spin reel wore out very fast. Also good luck getting parts for the pflueger reels. My baitcaster got the side plate dropped in 20 feet of water by my brother. When going to order a new one I got the answer "We dont have any":think:? well after a year calling once a month they finally could order one for almost the cost of the reel. My vote shimano all the way!

M
Mike123
What ever you choose, don't buy a large "round ambassador" style reel for steelhead.. they are super hard to cast light weights.

And not ALL Shiamano reels are great... I agree Shimano is best, but the Corvalus reel is CRAP! I just bought one and took it back after one trip out.

If you got the money of course get the Curado!

If your a troller, or your just pulling plugs and what not, get a "round style" reel.

B
bweb
I like the Abu Garcia 5501 C3. Not too expensive and it's woked really well for me over the past 5 years.

D
DirectDrive
Don't overlook Citica 200/210 E model. It's built on the same frame as Curado E model and can later be upgraded to rival Curado (driveshaft bearing).
At about $60 cheaper it is the poor man's Curado.

X
xltom
I bought a curado this summer. It's my first baitcaster but I love it. If you want to run anything bigger than 14lb mono, get the 300 series..

F
FISHHEADMAFIA
go with a citica . affordable as far as quality casters go . curado is a step up . but if tour thinking crxus , keep walkin . it works , but . . . just not all its meant to be . those things sold for over 80$ when they came out . HUGE price drop in the short time they have been around . this is due to poor sales . poor sales is due to ......well , you know . citica is a top notch reel . curado is a step up , but also a few more bucks .

R
RIVERFISHER
OneMore said:
My vote would be shimano curado, or if you are on a budget get the shimano cruxis for 50 bucks at bi-mart. Of course the curado is far better but for 50 bucks the cruxis is worth it. I fished my 50 doller cruxis for over a year now and cought steelhead, coho, and chinook:shock: on it. As far as the pflueger I owned a trion spinning reel and a trion baitcaster. The spin reel wore out very fast. Also good luck getting parts for the pflueger reels. My baitcaster got the side plate dropped in 20 feet of water by my brother. When going to order a new one I got the answer "We dont have any":think:? well after a year calling once a month they finally could order one for almost the cost of the reel. My vote shimano all the way!

I love my cruxis... It casts like a dream but I also love my dawai with twitchin bar... I don't even needs thumb it and I can cast pretty far with little weight.. I have one for bassin and steelin.. I can cast a plastic worm damn far. I have also braught in some keeper sturgeon with my dawai.