Steelhead rags

T
Troutier Bassier
Has anyone ever had luck using Rags for Winters? Cause I've already made my own and they look pretty cool.

kirkster
kirkster
I made up a bunch as well. And to answer your question no I haven't. I watched a how to video on line. IMO there to big I've caught more steelhead summer and winter on very small presentation. I normaly run a # 4 owner hook and a tiny corkie with small piece of yarn. The entire offering is about the size of a dime. I think the rags from the video I watched are way to big.

T
Troutier Bassier
Yeah, I thought they were too big. They looked pretty cool and Tasty though. So I thought Id ask.

Y
youngbuck307
????? you guys got a link for the video??? so last year was first year for steelhead\salmon and never heard of a rag what is it???

M
metalmania
youngbuck307 said:
????? you guys got a link for the video??? so last year was first year for steelhead\salmon and never heard of a rag what is it???

A rag is basically a foam cylinder with yarn, marabou etc stuck in it. There really only needed for big fast water.

M
Mike123
I think they're just something that the Canadian's dreamed up!! :lol:
Those guys are always thinkin up crazy ideas... like pink worms. ;):rolleyes::lol:

I made some and never tried them... I'd rather use something small that stated above. In high murky water I've heard they work though.

T
Troutier Bassier
Maybe for Nooks?

Y
youngbuck307
thanks guys ill stich with my corkie and yarn also toss some red beds too

F
FISHHEADMAFIA
They pretty much suck for drift fishing . Stick to corkies and yarn . 2 or 4 size hook . Matching cork . NOT any bigger than a dime at all . Fishing some deep water , throw more lead . If fishing fast water , stick to pocket water , stay out of the current rip .

M
metalfisher76
Too big .

A
autofisher
The ones from the video are too big. The history of the rag is pretty much this. There were some guys that went on a last minute fishing trip while they were up north doing some construction work. Problem was that they didn't have a lot of money and didn't have any corkies. They used the foam as a replacement since they had it on hand. They decided to throw the yarn in it to help it out on it's presentation. When they hit the water, they had great success with thier new toy. Soon the rag was used all over the place. You're right though. It's not much for our waters, but in some of the rivers up north, there are guys who swear by them.

The pink worms thing is also from up north as they actually have a worm that is pink in color and the returning fish ALWAYS feast on this particular worm when they hit that system. It works some times for the fish down in our neck of the woods, but usually only after we get ticked off at everything else and figure we'll break into the pack that's been sittin there for about 3 years.

Q
qwapaw
Nice information video. Thank you. The "OFF" Site is the place to learn things about fishung, and I am glad I found it. Tight Lines, Qwa

F
FishSchooler
Is there any other type of thread you could use in the place of the "ghost cacoon" thread?

B
beaverfan
Ya you can use Magic Thread, it's that elastic thread they sell at fishing stores. I've never even made them before but know several people that tie them up with elastic thread.

A
autofisher
Magic thread works just fine. Just remember to make sure the wraps around the ball are touching. On the last wrap, make it a little tighter and give it a good tug before you break it off to the length you want otherwise it has a small chance of coming undone. It's only happened once or twice, but since adding the last little tug, I haven't had a problem.

S
steelhead_stalkers
autofisher said:
The pink worms thing is also from up north as they actually have a worm that is pink in color and the returning fish ALWAYS feast on this particular worm when they hit that system. It works some times for the fish down in our neck of the woods, but usually only after we get ticked off at everything else and figure we'll break into the pack that's been sittin there for about 3 years.

That's what I like to hear! Yes pink worms do not work down here in Oregon. :lol:

C
carnzen
Works

Works

I've used them for the past four years. At different times they make all the difference. I use 3/8" backer rod with my favorite yarn colors. Some days when I feel I've tried all the other tried and true drift set ups this one will produce fish. Another nice set up to have when you know fish are in the water, but you're not having much success catching any. I've had success both on the Snake River between Oregon and Idaho and the River of No Return in Idaho for winter steelhead.

P
plumb2fish
Winter steelhead in Idaho?

L
luv2fish
I donno about winter steelhead but my first steelhead in oregon was at oxbow park at the launch...just down the rapids....a perfect 9 lb'er..infact a shade over....it was a summer metalhead..just gorgeous and i caught it on "the rag"...i love that thing just for the fact that you can fish that in the fastest water without getting out of fish sight...its so bouyant..and it holds scent longer.....i took the round foam..bought it from home depot... i still have tons and i only spent $2...after 5 years...lol...

cut a 1/2 inch piece....coloured it black with sharpie and poked some black and white yarn with a nail clipper knife ( i was inexperienced at that time ).......

I think it will work for winter steely as well....i never tried anything other than corkie and yarn..or shrimp tail sometimes ....cuz i get plenty of winters on those ..why try something different...

Last edited by a moderator:
T
Troutier Bassier
Whoever told me to used nothing smaller then a quater for steelhead. I caught a nice winter today. on a size 1 hook and a lot of yarn. bigger then a quater.