Steelhead questions

G
Grant23
Was fishing just to the right of the boat ramp at Riverside afterwork - along the rocks. I saw many FISH rolling to the top. I tried drift fishing into the zone--nothing. I tried floating a jig (and changing depths to find the zone) nothing. So what do others recomend when you have fish rolling RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOUR FACE!!!! its almost as if they were doing it just to taunt me!! Also WHY do fish roll at the surface- maybe understanding that will be beneficial - any ideas?

S
steelhead_stalkers
Not sure why they roll, some say the hens loosen up their eggs that way. I would say if the area is heavily fished try downsizing your gear and give them smaller presentations or something they may not see very often!!

F
FishSchooler
Is rolling where they just like surface then turn and go back down? Not sure what it is...

K
Kodiak
depends

depends

We've noticed with chinook the way they roll is far more important. Not sure if it's the same with steelies. I think when the fish are going airborne or halfway out of the water and falling over this maybe somekind of mating thing or mate selection process. When we see fish "slash" across the top with jus the dorsal fin coming out, we target this fish, he is exhibiting feeding behavior and is active and aggressive. I prefer an activiley moving spinner/bait. Usually a herring jigged or driffted (red labels will kill metalheads), a shrimp under a faster moving bober drift or spinner, retrieved like trout fishing will get-r-done on these fish.

M
Mike123
Kodiak said:
We've noticed with chinook the way they roll is far more important. Not sure if it's the same with steelies. I think when the fish are going airborne or halfway out of the water and falling over this maybe somekind of mating thing or mate selection process. When we see fish "slash" across the top with jus the dorsal fin coming out, we target this fish, he is exhibiting feeding behavior and is active and aggressive. I prefer an activiley moving spinner/bait. Usually a herring jigged or driffted (red labels will kill metalheads), a shrimp under a faster moving bober drift or spinner, retrieved like trout fishing will get-r-done on these fish.

Very good piece of advice! :clap:

A
ArcticAmoeba
Grant, I hate to say it, but tht is some thick Squaw water. And those fish are probably stirring up the pot. There are surely millions of smolt, and fingerling in the river and many of the fish, Steelhead, and the early Chinook included are going to be at least pushin 'em around, if not devouring them. If you would have moved up around the corner form Ericcson Eddy I bet the fish would have been more on the hungry side. Targeting aggressive fish is key. It is the reason we can hook hundreds of Coho in a week in riffles, and the guys standing in a pool will have to snag 'em to fight one. Aggressive fish open their mouths, and eat! Those are the ones to target. I believe Steehead roll for many reasons, but a lot of the time it is seemingly just for show... What a bunch of attention grubbing fish!

N
ninja2010
ArcticAmoeba said:
If you would have moved up around the corner form Ericcson Eddy I bet the fish would have been more on the hungry side.

where's this ericcson eddy??? is it upriver from the parking lot?

A
ArcticAmoeba
It is the eddy just downstream of the riffle. Just before the turn in the river if you are looking upstream.

N
ninja2010
thanks, aa.

okay, i'm hitting riverside tomorrow. i've tried to fish that riffle last week, but the flow was outrageous. so i'm trying again tomorrow. should i start from the top and work my way all the way down the riffle till i get to that eddy? and then maybe bobber that eddy?

A
ArcticAmoeba
Yes, start at the top, and fish your way down. If I don't get hit, I start over, and normally manage to hook-up at least once. But the eddy is not really good holding water. A few lazy Winters, and some briefly stopped Chinook may be in there, but for the most part it does not hold fish like the hole above the riffle.

F
fish_4_all
Try top water baits when they are doing that. I have had fish chase lures right to the surface and hit it there when they are rolling a lot. Maybe the fish are chasing smolt and whatever else so you need to put something out that looks like them.

A
ArcticAmoeba
"Top water" Steelhead lures/bugs do work, but you need to know how, where and when to fish 'em. The Clackamas River fish will, but just don't seem to rise to gear like the Sky/Sno/Hoh for example. THe clackers do seem to like samll dries in the first light hours...The OP fish will rise to 8 inch purple, and orange bugs, and I have even whacked a bunch on Muskie poppers at all hours of the day. If you can find a system with genetics, that tune the fish to rise, top waters are a fun presentation to fish.

B
bbgoatboy
Ok not being all the wise in fishing. quick question. Is a steelhead just a large trout?

F
fish_4_all
Used to be simply considered a sea run rainbow but it is now it's own species. It is called a steelhead trout because unlike salmon it can go back to the ocean after spawning and will live a long time in a lake after it has spawned. But as far as being a "trout" it is not. A rainbow nor any other trout can not go to the ocean and return as a steelhead.

M
Mike123
Steelhead are anadromous..
anadromous fish live in the ocean mostly, and breed in fresh water.

B
bbgoatboy
Thanks to fish and mike.

A
ArcticAmoeba
Same species, but simple phenotypic differences, distunguish Rainbow Trout, from Steelhead.