Steelhead on a worm?

brandon4455
brandon4455
i have wondered if this would work on coastal rivers for steelhead. and indicator and a worm on a hook simply drifted through the river. ive caught a lot of trout with this setup up at detroit and various mouths of tributaries to lakes. and i believe i hooked a seelhead while using this setup on the upper willamette. but im not exactly sure.

Last edited:
T
Throbbit _Shane
I caught my first and only steelhead on a worm, 13 years ago, but i think it was a summer. Let us know how it works for u! i have no tips on how to rig, but im interested in what others have to say.

brandon4455
brandon4455
Throbbit _Shane said:
I caught my first and only steelhead on a worm, 13 years ago, but i think it was a summer. Let us know how it works for u! i have no tips on how to rig, but im interested in what others have to say.

ill let you know for sure, ill bring it along with me on the next trip.

troutdude
troutdude
Dead drifting a worm, does work VERY well for Summers; but not too sure about Winters. It's certainly worth a try.

S
SantiamDrifter
Yeah worms work great. With all the rains, and floods. Earthworms get washed into the rivers making them very available to steelhead. But I only use the pink worms myself. I think they produce better then live worms. Something about the color.

brandon4455
brandon4455
SantiamDrifter said:
Yeah worms work great. With all the rains, and floods. Earthworms get washed into the rivers making them very available to steelhead. But I only use the pink worms myself. I think they produce better then live worms. Something about the color.

yeah i have 3 pink worms that glow and they are shrimp scented in my tackle box. but i have a lot of nightcrawlers so ill use em. a appriciate the input everyone.

brandon4455
brandon4455
troutdude said:
Dead drifting a worm, does work VERY well for Summers; but not too sure about Winters. It's certainly worth a try.

never knew about that working for summers. ill try it on the n.santiam next year on oour yearly campin trip

thanks jay ;)

troutdude
troutdude
You're welcome buddy. Some peeps use a pink corkie and a worm. But, steelies are merely sea-run trout; who once chomped on worms as they were growing up. So, it stands to reason that an OFFering of a worm--on their return trip--would also entice more chomping!

M
Moe
this past summer i hooked a summersteelhead on a night crawler and a corkie drifted, never landed it though as he/she gave me a few powerfull headshakes and was OFF.

brandon4455
brandon4455
troutdude said:
You're welcome buddy. Some peeps use a pink corkie and a worm. But, steelies are merely sea-run trout; who once chomped on worms as they were growing up. So, it stands to reason that an OFFering of a worm--on their return trip--would also entice more chomping!

thats hilarious..i have pink corkies and worms LOL. and yeah it's just like fly fishing for salmon. you can throw a lot of nymphs and bugs at em because it reminds them of the food they ate when they were little babies

brandon

brandon4455
brandon4455
Moe said:
this past summer i hooked a summersteelhead on a night crawler and a corkie drifted, never landed it though as he/she gave me a few powerfull headshakes and was OFF.

well,looks like i have two rigs to try. drift fishing a corkie and worm. or driftin a worm under an indicator. tis will be very intresting.

A
autofisher
Worms and pink worms work great. Orange, or pink corkies on regular nightcrawlers have been some of my better producers. A pink worm all by itself has made a winter absolutely hammer the line and take OFF like a raped ape.

brandon4455
brandon4455
autofisher said:
Worms and pink worms work great. Orange, or pink corkies on regular nightcrawlers have been some of my better producers. A pink worm all by itself has made a winter absolutely hammer the line and take OFF like a raped ape.

that sounds epic! i only have pink corkies i used all my orange ones for springers.. D: imma try the nightcrawlers and pink worms. hopefully it will work with higher water if not ill use my jigs under a float i think the bait will work well since the water is cold ad the fish are slow. take care,

brandon

H
halibuthitman
I used to catch steel on nightcrawlers all the time, with the help of just a dab of red yarn.... they work fine, may I suggest you lose the strike indicator before it becomes a crutch you end up relying on the rest of your fishing carreer?

brandon4455
brandon4455
halibuthitman said:
I used to catch steel on nightcrawlers all the time, with the help of just a dab of red yarn.... they work fine, may I suggest you lose the strike indicator before it becomes a crutch you end up relying on the rest of your fishing carreer?

yes ill get rid of my training wheels.. XD you are right i need to rely on feeling a strike not seeing it.. but im not the best drift fishermen. ive only caught fish while drift fishing when they take off with my corkie and yarn..but i have trouble telling the difference between the bottom and a bite a lot of the time :/ thanks for the tip on the red yarn take care,

brandon

P
plumb2fish
Also threading the whole worm up the line and pegging it with a puff ball on the hook work pretty well

Y
youngbuck307
Threwad the worm up the shank off ur hook so is on ur line and straight . This is the key looks very nateral. Also fishing them after a rain is key for live worms also. Btw learning the feel of a
fish only comes one way. Just drift fishing more!

brandon4455
brandon4455
thanks for the help everyone i appriciate it

brandon

S
slimyguts
When fishin the Nestucca or trask, worms out fish all else for me. Also worked well the one time I used it on the WIlson. Use pink puff balls threaded through hook up to the line. Use a worm threader to thread entire worm on the hook / line. If its really clear water, I will use a sharpie and color half the puff ball, sometimes all of it. The puff ball helps to keep the worm and hook out of the rocks.

brandon4455
brandon4455
slimyguts said:
When fishin the Nestucca or trask, worms out fish all else for me. Also worked well the one time I used it on the WIlson. Use pink puff balls threaded through hook up to the line. Use a worm threader to thread entire worm on the hook / line. If its really clear water, I will use a sharpie and color half the puff ball, sometimes all of it. The puff ball helps to keep the worm and hook out of the rocks.

thats a nice tip. and it gave me more confidence since ill be fishing the tucca with it xD thanks for the help,

brandon