steelhead on 10-8,9,10

S
sherretb
Hi all,

This thread has been a little slow lately. I imagine guys are out hunting.
Anyway, I am really looking to get into some fall steelhead in the corvallis area. I am looking at the s. santiam, the mackenzie, the mf. willamette or the Siletz.

Any ideas? I have friday evening, and all day saturday and sunday. If I land a few steel, i might even try for some fall chinook.

Also, If you want to carpool for the trip let me know, I have envited a few others but not sure of numbers as of yet.

H
Halfthrive
You can find steelhead in all the systems you named. If these cold nights keep up then the steelhead will get very active. There will be people who will tell you to go higher in the system to find these fish but thats not true. I catch steelhead from Dexter to Pengra all winter long if the conditions are right. Two weeks ago I drifted it and counted about 40 steelies and caught three. When the nights are frosty and the days are warm you need to hit the river. Nail em. Oh and by the way, their not considered fall steehead but are all the summer fish waiting to spawn in the spring.

troutdude
troutdude
That is quite right. They are summer run steelies, which often "hold" for months prior to spawning. So, there are fish in all of the rivers that you mentioned.

BTW, the same is true for Winter Run steelies. Many peeps still catch them into March and April.

Good luck.

R
rippin fish lips
Halfthrive said:
You can find steelhead in all the systems you named. If these cold nights keep up then the steelhead will get very active. There will be people who will tell you to go higher in the system to find these fish but thats not true. I catch steelhead from Dexter to Pengra all winter long if the conditions are right. Two weeks ago I drifted it and counted about 40 steelies and caught three. When the nights are frosty and the days are warm you need to hit the river. Nail em. Oh and by the way, their not considered fall steehead but are all the summer fish waiting to spawn in the spring.

Yes! me and a buddy have been nailing them! im going to post a thread and all of the pics from this summer/fall soon.

R
rippin fish lips
Halfthrive said:

I thought the willy and the mac were closed all winter long...? am i wrong?

M
metalfisher76
troutdude said:
That is quite right. They are summer run steelies, which often "hold" for months prior to spawning. So, there are fish in all of the rivers that you mentioned.

BTW, the same is true for Winter Run steelies. Many peeps still catch them into March and April.

Good luck.

Just a note on the difference between summers and winters. Summers are not ready to spawn when they get into their home water. Winters are. These are not much of a schooling fish so the runs will be VERY spread out for both summers and winters. Pay attention when you get yer winters this year. They have fat berries ready to POP! Summers still have very small sceins with BB sized berries.
I`m not in the area but I would recommend very small offerings. 6 or 8 lb leaders of Maxima UG. You can go a lil bigger if you prefer Flouro. Good Luck!!

S
steelhead_stalkers
The McKenzie has a lot of fish in it! Most guys I have talked to are transitioning over to egg patterns and yarn balls as the steelhead are targeting them because of the spawning Chinook. Also cured eggs and jigs are getting fish as well. That should be the case on all of the rivers you mentioned.