Steelhead off St. Helens docks

S
SturgeonSurgeon
Does anybody know if you can catch them off of there or if anybody has? Also what kid of gear should I use. I was trying a cut plug with herring in it. Also what depth do they like? Thanks for any advice.

H
halibuthitman
I have never caught one off the dock there, I believe most of the fish cross over the channel and hug the sand island and east bank. I do know that they have been killin em right tight to the beach at Prescott using spin and glos and a prawn..

S
SturgeonSurgeon
Thanks for the feed back. I have tried plunking before but my lines always get twisted up. How can I prevent this? Do I need bigger speader bar form my weight to my first leader with the setup on it?

H
halibuthitman
SturgeonSurgeon said:
Thanks for the feed back. I have tried plunking before but my lines always get twisted up. How can I prevent this? Do I need bigger speader bar form my weight to my first leader with the setup on it?
I wish I had an answer but I don't know jack about plunking from shore..

J
JKham
SturgeonSurgeon said:

I used to have this problem, until I figured out my setup was wrong. Make sure you're running your globe spinner and bait line on the longer end of your spreader. Also, the leader/bait line should be longer than the weight leader.

Hope that helps.

H
halibuthitman
If you have access to a boat they are also spanking them at the mouth of the lewis on a F7 orange quickfish-

S
SturgeonSurgeon
Thanks again and no hard feelings on the bass post. I was a little rude to you!

H
halibuthitman
SturgeonSurgeon said:
Thanks again and no hard feelings on the bass post. I was a little rude to you!
no hard feelings at all... I wouldn't even come to the forum if a guy couldn't into a good ole fashioned pissin match with another fisherman once in a while-

S
SturgeonSurgeon
True true...lets call it a draw till next time........lol although I think you took the majority's vote....lol

H
halibuthitman
the majority vote... lets not forget that democracy is like 2 wolves and a sheep voting on whats for dinner,and liberty is a well armed sheep contesting the vote-

S
SturgeonSurgeon
halibuthitman said:
the majority vote... lets not forget that democracy is like 2 wolves and a sheep voting on whats for dinner,and liberty is a well armed sheep contesting the vote-

Well Said!

I
ironhead
SturgeonSurgeon said:
Does anybody know if you can catch them off of there or if anybody has? Also what kid of gear should I use. I was trying a cut plug with herring in it. Also what depth do they like? Thanks for any advice.
Try social-security beach with size 8 spin-n-glo pink with black wings and a coon shrimp.

S
SturgeonSurgeon
Where the hell is Social Security beach and whats a coon shrimp and where do I get it?

18406ej
18406ej
I think the Social Security Beach he is referring to is the one on Sauvie Island (Reeder Road). Coon shrimp are available at most bait shops including Bi-Mart. Make sure you also pick up a roll of "stretchy string" (also available at Bi-Mart). It will help retain the shrimp on your hook.

A
Airs98
Don't we have like a dozen or so Social Security beaches in the vicinity? :) It's hard to tell which is which. I guess we are going to have a Google map of those SS beaches pretty soon...

18406ej
18406ej
I know of only one near PDX, one in Independence, and one or two in southern Oregon. If people chime in we can map them out.

S
SturgeonSurgeon
Well what do you mean by SS beaches.......?

18406ej
18406ej
I think a Social Security Beach or Hole is by definition a well-known and usually productive fishing spot occupied constantly and for the most part by retirees...

I
ironhead
Yea what he said, sauvies island.

S
SturgeonSurgeon
LMAO thanks for clearing that up! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA