Steelhead near Portland

J
joesnuffy
I may be in the Portland area on the 24th or 25th of Jan (in 2 weeks).

Is there any good spots around there to catch a steelhead? Preferably on a fly rod but I'll have my spinning gear as well. Thanks in advance.

F
FishSchooler
joesnuffy said:
I may be in the Portland area on the 24th or 25th of Jan (in 2 weeks).

Is there any good spots around there to catch a steelhead? Preferably on a fly rod but I'll have my spinning gear as well. Thanks in advance.

As everyone is talking about, the clackamas and sandy rivers would be good. I havent been out yet but those are the two rivers to give a try. Drift fishing is probably the way to fish, as everyone else is.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Joe, the best bets for the metro area are the Sandy or the Clackamas. Depends on which part of Portland you are headed to. I just got back from the Sandy it is running high fast and dirty. Fishtopher has a fresh post up with pictures of the Clackamas (stuff related to fishing section). It is up and high. I'll try to keep you posted on the river conditions because they can change rather quickly. PS if it works out that I'm around I could show you some spots on the Sandy. I don't fish the Clackamas much.

Last edited:
F
FishSchooler
Irishrover said:
Joe, the best bets for the metro area are the Sandy or the Clackamas. Depends on which part of Portland you are headed to. I just got back from the Sandy it is running high fast and dirty. Fishtopher has a fresh post up with pictures of the Clackamas (stuff related to fishing section). It is up and high. I'll try to keep you post on the river conditions because they can changerather quickly.
The clack isn't very dirty (from what I see in the pics) as it used to be. Just very high waters.

J
joesnuffy
I should have been a little more clear. I don't have to be fishing in portland. I'll be passing throuhg on my way to Seattle. I could travel in different directions from there up to 30 or 40 miles.

Of course this is all weather pending. If the waters blown out, I might just have to catch a movie :p

N
ninja2010
joesnuffy said:
I should have been a little more clear. I don't have to be fishing in portland. I'll be passing throuhg on my way to Seattle. I could travel in different directions from there up to 30 or 40 miles.

Of course this is all weather pending. If the waters blown out, I might just have to catch a movie :p

catching a steelhead is wayyyyy more fun than catching a movie. :whistle:

Irishrover
Irishrover
I-84 crosses the Sandy at Lewis and Clark State Park. Scenic Hwy 30 runs along the river with good public access, and up to Dabney Park. So you won't have to go out of your way to be in good steelhead water. You just have to be able to drive by the John day and the Deschutes :) I'll be keeping an eye on the river!

J
joesnuffy
Well crap, it doesn't look good for the trip..... I'm probably not going not. I'll find out for sure on monday.

I am however starting to plan out a trip for March to that area..

N
NewToORFishing
FishSchooler said:
As everyone is talking about, the clackamas and sandy rivers would be good. I havent been out yet but those are the two rivers to give a try. Drift fishing is probably the way to fish, as everyone else is.

If "everyone" is drift fishing, then what are those people with floats and flyfishermen doing? ;)

K
Kodiak
Not catching fish

Not catching fish

:
NewToORFishing said:
If "everyone" is drift fishing, then what are those people with floats and flyfishermen doing? ;)

The float and fly guy's are getting skunked. Drown enough lead and corkies and you too may feel the tick of a take.;)

J
joesnuffy
WooHoo! it looks like the trip is back on. How are the water levels over there?

J
joesnuffy
thanks for the Graphs, um, are those good levels? lol

M
meluvtrout
Guys, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe most consider at or below 13' as an indicator of good fishing for winters in Clackamas.

L
luv2fish
between 10 and 13 feet are ideal river conditions for winter steelhead.

A
ArcticAmoeba
The fish don't disappear when the levels/flows change...They just situate themselves in different areas. Most guys think the Clack, is only runnable/fishable in 12-14 feet of water. It does get easier to fish when the water stabilizes at roughly 12.5, but fishes well it at all stages, you can only learn where the fish end up when you are out in the variety of conditions we've had lately.

Joe - It will be a foreign river, but it will fish well if you are a versed drift fisherman. You like the fly, matbe some Creek Settings would be ideal for your type of fishing. I dunno. you are gonna have to see I guess, but bring a variety of gear. You knew that though!;)

J
joesnuffy
trips cancelled! lol

grrr, I was really wanting to hit some water over there. thanks for your imput peeps!