Steelhead in Junction City Pond

G
Gramps
Went to JCP on Saturday Nov 1, I saw what looked like a steelhead swim by with orange tag sticking out. When I asked another fisherman if he knew if they put any steelhead in he said 56 in on Thursday. A little while later I hooked into and landed a 8+ pounder. :D Went back on Sunday and hooked into another big one within 10 min, but it broke line. I went back again today the 4th and within 5 min hooked and landed another 8+ pounder.

BTW if you land any be sure to call ODFW and report it to ensure future steelhead stocking. ODFW wants to know they are being caught and not a wasted stocking.

No steelhead tag needed.

Last edited:
Troutski
Troutski
Tagged fish...

Tagged fish...

Gramps said:
Went to JCP on Saturday Nov 1, I saw what looked like a steelhead swim by with orange tag sticking out. When I asked another fisherman if he knew if they put any steelhead in he said 56 in on Thursday. A little while later I hooked into and landed a 8+ pounder. :D Went back on Sunday and hooked into another big one within 10 min, but it broke line. I went back again today the 4th and within 5 min hooked and landed another 8+ pounder.

BTW if you land any be sure to call ODFW and report it to ensure future steelhead stocking. ODFW wants to know they are being caught and not a wasted stocking.

No steelhead tag needed.

If you turn that tag in to the ODFW they can tell you the history of the fish...pretty interesting to say the least...Congratulations on your catch..:clap::clap:

Chuck

C
cptncha0s
Gramps said:

No steelhead tag needed.

saw the news of the stocking the paper. I have fished once at jcp and caught nothing, what did you catch the chromers on?? Where abouts in the pond?? I'm heading there on friday, are there going to be any left??

Troutski
Troutski
Welcome to OFF...

Welcome to OFF...

cptncha0s said:
saw the news of the stocking the paper. I have fished once at jcp and caught nothing, what did you catch the chromers on?? Where abouts in the pond?? I'm heading there on friday, are there going to be any left??

Welcome to OFF, where do you hang your rods when not fishing ? Have you been chasing the mighty Steelhead long ? We have a great group of people here on OFF feel free to ask any question you have about angling in the great state of Oregon.
Any incite on your moniker ?

Chuck

C
cptncha0s
Troutski said:
Welcome to OFF, where do you hang your rods when not fishing ? Have you been chasing the mighty Steelhead long ? We have a great group of people here on OFF feel free to ask any question you have about angling in the great state of Oregon.
Any incite on your moniker ?

Chuck

hahah cptncha0s stands for captain chaos which actually is like the opposite of what I am. It came from an episode of south park with Professer Chaos and I changed it to captain and it kinda gelled. I live in Eugene, I have never caught a steelie before but thats going to change.

Troutski
Troutski
Great...

Great...

cptncha0s said:
hahah cptncha0s stands for captain chaos which actually is like the opposite of what I am. It came from an episode of south park with Professer Chaos and I changed it to captain and it kinda gelled. I live in Eugene, I have never caught a steelie before but thats going to change.

Great attitude to have, stick with spinners is my opinion. They seem to work very well this time of year. Hang in there the first one is the hardest to get, after that it's like you have climbed the experience curve and it is all down hill.
Tight lines...

Chuck

G
Gramps
I used a jig from 10 to 15 ft out right to shore. I hooked 1 three feet from shore
The fly fishermen have good luck too. I have not seen any caught on bait or spinner. Anywhere along the bank should do.

C
cptncha0s
I'll be there tomorrow morning, fly and spinning gear in hand,

G
Gramps
Landed another 8+ lbs steelhead today on a crappie jig. :D That makes 3 I landed and 3 more I hooked but broke line. All on Crappie jig. ODFW put another 35 steelhead in last week along with 750 rainbow, most are 11" to 12". Yesterday saw a 2lb rainbow taken.

Last edited:
G
Gramps
Hello,
I was wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing how you present the crappie jig to catch steelhead at JCP? I was out there two Saturdays ago and didn't get a bite at all. I tried powerbait for the smaller trout, spinners, spoons, all to no avail. The crappie jig method seems to work well for you! Are you suspending it with a float or working it along the bottom, or?? Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Happy fishing!

I received this PM and would like to share with all OFF members my technique.

I use a weighted jigging bobber with 1' of leader and a red headed crappie jig with gold speckled tail. I fish the shore line mostly no more than 15' out. All the hits I have gotten were within 5' of shore. I jig by a small double jerk then a short pause. Under the dock works well when the sun is out but need to watch out for the posts as they like to wrap around them

Good Luck to all and remember to call in tag number if you catch any

Gramps

Last edited:
T
t_870
Thanks for the info gramps!

G
Gramps
More Steelhead for JCP

More Steelhead for JCP

Another stocking of steelhead this week. About 30 or so. So far only 12 steelhead have been reported caught. After this stocking there should over 100 left.

Troutski
Troutski
Welcome to OFF...

Welcome to OFF...

t_870 said:
Thanks for the info gramps!

Welcome to the site, there is a ton of information in the archives; just do a search and if you can't find what you're looking for - then just ask away.

Chuck

B
bd2cool
I did try today for a steelhead-got two bite,landed one trout.
I got there at 7:30 and left at 2:00.
I didn't see anyone knocking them dead today.
At least I caught one more then my friend who went home empty.
Still better then being home!:)

T
t_870
Troutski said:
Welcome to the site, there is a ton of information in the archives; just do a search and if you can't find what you're looking for - then just ask away.

Chuck

Looks like a great site with a wealth of knowledge thanks for the welcome.

G
Gramps
70 more steelhead stocked into JCP 11/26. And fishing was HOT, 5 or 6 were caught on the 26th, they were hitting just about anything. Today Thanksgiving, 10 or more had been landed by 10:30 when I left. I am now up to 6 steelhead out of JCP this month. A man saw the fish I had just caught and said "I wish I could catch one, I have never caught a steelhead before". I showed him my jig and bobber set-up, he just happened to have the same tackle in his box. He fished same hole I just caught one in and 15 to 20 minutes later BAM Fish-on, his first steelhead.

Troutski said:
Teach a man to fish and he will steal your secret fishing hole...

How true LOL
But I am happy to see him catch a fish

Last edited:
Troutski
Troutski
Signature....

Signature....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutski
Teach a man to fish and he will steal your secret fishing hole...

Just to keep the record straight, my signature was meant as humor. I don't have any problem sharing my secret spots other anglers - as long as they leave the title to there car as collateral for the information. ;)

Chuck

A
A_J-Llama
Hey All, Drove down to JCP Monday AM and fished from 8:30 till about 1:30. I tried all of your suggestions from the crappie jigs to the blue fox #2s, salmon egg power bait w krill to kastmasters, and still no hits. Saw two fish caught, fish swimming by, fish jumping out of the water, and still went home empty handed. I think I fished every corner but under the dock as there were three or four people already there and didn't attempt to crowd too close to anyone. The fish gods must be angry with me. I've caught almost every species of fish in this state and still have not taken a steelhead. JCP is a 2 hour drive for me and really thought after reading your enties that I might finally have a chance to land a steelie, but guess it wasn't meant to be. I'm glad for you all, really I am, but I just don't get it. Happy Holdays to All !!

R
rainbowfisherman
grambs it sounds like are having great luck so any tips.
What are you using.
How are you using it.
and where are you using it at JCP.
Do you recomend fly fishing or lure or jig fishing any info. will help

Thanks
Rainbowfisherman

B
bd2cool
He is the man! I just got back from there and I didn't bring home anything. I got one bite-powerbait-but no fish.:(