Steelhead in Junction City Pond

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Good eating fish?

Good eating fish?

Gramps said:
JCP was stocked yesterday 1/13 with about 100 brooders. And they were hitting good on lures and fly's.

Gramps;
I keep waiting for one of the others to ask a question for me, but no one is co-operating,so I'll have to ask myself. Are the brooders good for eating,or are they just a C&R kind of fish? If you can eat them,do you have a favorite receipe? Thanks for sharing so much and being so patient with all the questions. You are a true gentleman. Be safe.
Barb

I
ITSINTHEMOUTH
how was this fishing at jcp today gramps?

O
osmosis
Barb - If you like trout with absolutely white meat that has the consistancy of mashed potatoes - then look no further.

I
ITSINTHEMOUTH
Barb

Barb

The hens are half decent. As for the bucks I wouldn't even bother

C
Commodore S
Brooders

Brooders

osmosis said:
Barb - If you like trout with absolutely white meat that has the consistancy of mashed potatoes - then look no further.

Or you can go to the hatchery and get a handful of their fish-food, eat a couple of bites and try to figure out a recipe to cover up the taste. My boys brought a couple home years ago, and I don't think there is enough lemons or salt in the world to make them taste good. C&R only for me. But of course this is onlyMY personal opinion.:)

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Blech...

Blech...

Sounds just yummy! :rolleyes: I think I'll pass...thanks guys. ;)
Barb

G
Gramps
ITSINTHEMOUTH said:
how was this fishing at jcp today gramps?
Today was a little slow with brooder, but they stocked with 350 12" trout, fishing for them was fair.
Raincatcher said:
Gramps;
I keep waiting for one of the others to ask a question for me, but no one is co-operating,so I'll have to ask myself. Are the brooders good for eating,or are they just a C&R kind of fish? If you can eat them,do you have a favorite receipe? Thanks for sharing so much and being so patient with all the questions. You are a true gentleman. Be safe.
Barb
Some are bright with pink ( all most red ) meat and can be cooked the same way steelhead or salmon are, ie baked, BBQ, smoked etc. Some are dark white meat and mushy and make good fertilizer. But most are in between and will smoke up good. If you eat stocked trout, brooders can be just as good, not as good as steelhead but still good. On the other hand steelhead can get very mushy too.

I
ITSINTHEMOUTH
Gramps- I talked to the roaring river hatchery driver on tuesday when they dumped those brooders in , And he said that this will be the last stocking of broods. Can you confirm this? On the odfw website they said that they have another load scheduled for the week of the 26th? :think:

R
rainbowfisherman
well i think that they dont post the brooders on the website.
I think they just have the
legal
larger'and trophy
but im not positive

G
Gramps
ITSINTHEMOUTH said:
Gramps- I talked to the roaring river hatchery driver on tuesday when they dumped those brooders in , And he said that this will be the last stocking of broods. Can you confirm this? On the odfw website they said that they have another load scheduled for the week of the 26th? :think:
I just talked to Roaring River Hatchery and they confirmed what the driver told you, no more stocking of brood trout. The Recreation Report on the ODFW website has reported inaccurate information several times about Roaring River Hatchery brood stocking.
rainbowfisherman said:
well i think that they dont post the brooders on the website.
I think they just have the
legal
larger'and trophy
but im not positive
The stocking schedule does only report legal, larger and trophy, sometimes the trophy are brooders, sometime not. But the weekly Recreation Report does include information about "unscheduled" stocking's such as steelhead, brood trout and brook trout.

All the information I have posted came from public information from ODFW, either from there website or talking to someone at one or more of there offices or from what I have seen at the pond. I have on inside information.

With that said, I will be making fewer post from now on as I return to work tomorrow after a two month layoff and do not have time to fish as much and make the calls.

R
rainbowfisherman
i just check the recreation reports and i believe it said one more stocking of brooders will occur in the week of JAN. 26th
Not sure though?
I could be wrong