Steelhead (How would you fish them in the Willy around Salem?)

D
Drew9870
What methods would you use to target Steelhead in the slow water of the Willy in Salem, I have never had this type of situation involving sluggish 10-12ft of water while fishing Steelhead.

The only reason why I resort to the Willamette is because it is only 5 miles away from me, and I am highly familiar with the Riverfront/Wallace area.

I am thinking Spinners/Spoons would be the number one answer, but would a bobber and small jig 1/8-1/16oz be effective in this slow of water? Or Corkie and Yarn? Possibly even drifting larger Yarn Balls?

I am aware the Steely's aren't quite at their peak, especially in the upper portion of the Willy, so this info would be for the very near future.

R
rippin fish lips
I myself would just cast spinners and spoons. Im not a bait fisherman but i would also try maybe some roe/prawns, or a shrimp cocktail under a bobber set up.

D
Drew9870
Ya, the Willy isn't the best for using bait since the massive amounts of Squaws, but I will give the Prawns and Shrimp a go, until I get some more eggs, I never thought of using Coon Shrimp, Cocktail Shrimp, and Prawns.

Thanks

Y
youngbuck307
Cocktail tipped jig got me my first hook up on a fish

S
slimyguts
Bobber with bait / jig works good in slow water. Driftin is tough if the water is really slow but try some night crawlers with a puff ball or corky to help flotation.

M
mrlindeman
I would say the steel is not going to hang around in the slow moving current. They are just going to use it as a quick highway to get to the faster water with cover and more food. I would try to find the faster moving water in hals ferry access between independance and salem and plunk with a spin and glow with shrimp. I heard that social security hole is a great spot for this. If you want next month once I have my 2011 tags we can go there. I will drive.

D
Drew9870
Sounds good, I haven't fished the Willy any higher than Minto Brown.

J
John B
Most who fish the river from salem to Independence use spin glows on spreaders, some tip with
coon shrimp or prawns. Fish moving through the system now are native and its catch and release.
Summer steelhead dont start moving through the system until Febuary at the earliest. Only fish (Steelhead) with a fin clip can be kept in the upper Willamette. There is not a winter hatchery program
for steelhead on the Willamette above the falls.

brandon4455
brandon4455
mrlindeman said:
I would say the steel is not going to hang around in the slow moving current. They are just going to use it as a quick highway to get to the faster water with cover and more food. I would try to find the faster moving water in hals ferry access between independance and salem and plunk with a spin and glow with shrimp. I heard that social security hole is a great spot for this. If you want next month once I have my 2011 tags we can go there. I will drive.

ill try and meet you out there could you shoot me a pm when you guys are planning to go?

brandon

R
rippin fish lips
mrlindeman said:
I would say the steel is not going to hang around in the slow moving current. They are just going to use it as a quick highway to get to the faster water with cover and more food. I would try to find the faster moving water in hals ferry access between independance and salem and plunk with a spin and glow with shrimp.

what he said i love fishing fast moving water :D

M
mrlindeman
Sure thing but It will be bank fishin. We will plan a day for us all to meet up. you guys send me a pm with things to bring though. I am new to this setup. Heck I have never caught a steel so lol.

R
rippin fish lips
mrlindeman said:
Sure thing but It will be bank fishin. We will plan a day for us all to meet up. you guys send me a pm with things to bring though. I am new to this setup. Heck I have never caught a steel so lol.

If i have the time, ill try to make it out with you guys to! But... i am a wonderer walking trails, looking for new water to fish, when it comes to fishing new water.

S
slimyguts
I forsee bbq, fishin, campfire and beer. Makins for a good day

brandon4455
brandon4455
ill have to pick some lead and wivels/a few hooks n spin glo's that plac has heavy current. but..there are some rocks to siit on about 50 feet down from the main stretch and the water is still fast moving but not as bad as the main part. ill shoot you guys a pm when im geared up.

brandon