Steelhead guides

cobias

Curious if guides would be willing to do stripped down trips for a reduced price. All i want to do this year is throwing spinners and swinging plugs from the drifter . I have my own boat but im tired of playing guide myself and all the work it involves . Its getting old . Curious if anyone would do trips where they dont have to provide gear or lunch or " guidence " if you will . Just put the boat where i want it . For a reduced price .

Anatoliy

Admin
in other words you're not looking for a guide but rather for a "river taxi driver" who will drive you to the places you'll say?

cobias

in other words you're not looking for a guide but rather for a "river taxi driver" who will drive you to the places you'll say?
Sure if you put it like that yeah...

And not drive , float in the drifter . Say connie memorial to tide . One client .

pinstriper

I wouldn't think you'll have any guides as takers. In fact, you should expect to pay extra for being one client, not less. You are asking to take up a slot of their time that would normally see two or even three clients.

If being on the sticks is no longer fun for you, maybe think about cultivating a younger fishing buddy who doesn't have a boat yet and would like some time in the rower's seat at the direction of an experienced boatman.

cobias

I wouldn't think you'll have any guides as takers. In fact, you should expect to pay extra for being one client, not less. You are asking to take up a slot of their time that would normally see two or even three clients.

If being on the sticks is no longer fun for you, maybe think about cultivating a younger fishing buddy who doesn't have a boat yet and would like some time in the rower's seat at the direction of an experienced boatman.
Nah. I have taught a few in my day . One now floats all kinds of crazy water that i wont regularly float. No one wants to be behind the sticks all day unless they are pulling plugs so they can fish too. Its a pretty simple request . Paying $250 with Three in a boat bobber doggin is not my style .

Oregon can define "guide" all they want, im sure ill find someone as a contracted "deck hand " that knows how to row . I understand gas prices are high , but lets face it - we are fishing in Oregon with less than stellar steelhead runs ( im sure someone will post pics " we killem all the time ) but we know the reality . Im not paying $250each or even a package deal to be crammed in a drifter . Fishing one style so the guide can post his promotional pics . Just a leisurely day of throwing spinners and swinging not pulling plugs .

And for the youngins enjoy your energy while it lasts . The feeling of getting off the water at the end of the day , maybe getting the rig at most , and driving off to not have to clean up the boat and put s##t away will be a lovely day indeed .

my2labs

Most Featured
Nah. I have taught a few in my day . One now floats all kinds of crazy water that i wont regularly float. No one wants to be behind the sticks all day unless they are pulling plugs so they can fish too. Its a pretty simple request . Paying $250 with Three in a boat bobber doggin is not my style .

Oregon can define "guide" all they want, im sure ill find someone as a contracted "deck hand " that knows how to row . I understand gas prices are high , but lets face it - we are fishing in Oregon with less than stellar steelhead runs ( im sure someone will post pics " we killem all the time ) but we know the reality . Im not paying $250each or even a package deal to be crammed in a drifter . Fishing one style so the guide can post his promotional pics . Just a leisurely day of throwing spinners and swinging not pulling plugs .

And for the youngins enjoy your energy while it lasts . The feeling of getting off the water at the end of the day , maybe getting the rig at most , and driving off to not have to clean up the boat and put s##t away will be a lovely day indeed .
Would you perform the same duties of your job for less money while giving up control of your business and compromising the service you have worked so hard to perfect?

Maybe buy yourself a single person pontoon...?

Last edited:

cobias

Would you perform the same duties of your job for less money while giving up control of your business and compromising the service you have worked so hard to perfect?

Maybe buy yourself a single person pontoon...?

(Edited to tone down my original annoyance with this post. And keeping myself within the sites respectful tone.)
Sorry if i annoyed you . Dont know what would cause that . You can PM me if you'd like.

In my original post i was pretty clear that it would be a stripped down trip. No lunch , gear , or expertise needed . Just float down hold up or anchor where i want . No babysitting needed. So, essentially it would be less work and overall less cost. Gas , boat, time . I do have a single person pontoon but its not my cup of tea . Especially if i want to anchor . I have floated the connie memorial down many times , id even be willing to row the dicier spots for someone .

I guess this turned more into a conversation starter than a question . Its all good . Im sure ill find somone by january ...provided we get more water .

pinstriper

Ok. I won’t speak for any guides. But I see it an unlikely, which is why I made alternative suggestions. Good luck in your search.

my2labs

Most Featured
Sorry if i annoyed you . Dont know what would cause that . You can PM me if you'd like.

In my original post i was pretty clear that it would be a stripped down trip. No lunch , gear , or expertise needed . Just float down hold up or anchor where i want . No babysitting needed. So, essentially it would be less work and overall less cost. Gas , boat, time . I do have a single person pontoon but its not my cup of tea . Especially if i want to anchor . I have floated the connie memorial down many times , id even be willing to row the dicier spots for someone .

I guess this turned more into a conversation starter than a question . Its all good . Im sure ill find somone by january ...provided we get more water .
I thought about it and have decided to just delete this post entirely.

Last edited:

Hooked Up

I've got to agree with previous responses, from a business perspective it doesn't make sense.

Pontoon with a stand up platform is nice, although I take my boat unless the water level is low, anchor up where you want any throw spinners and plugs. No discussion on where to stop or for how long.

You don't need a guide, you just need someone that can row. I'll bet there's a guy that can row that wouldn't mind a fishing buddy for that float.

On one hand your asking for a guide and in the next post your insulting them, I don't know any guides that would respond well to this request.

Last edited:

for ads free experience.

Top Bottom