Steelhead fly fishing anyone?

Z
ZeeBorn
I have been fly fishing for steelhead for a while now but I still have only ever hooked one and caught another one. I'd like to get out there with someone a little more knowledgeable than me and see how someone with more experience approaches it. So if anyone wants some company on the river let me know maybe we can split gas money too. I'd be up for going anywhere with in 2 hours of Portland.
Cheers,
Nate

G
Growbug
I have not yet fished for steelhead, but have hit trout on a fly.
I am planning to take my chances up the Molalla in the new year.
Its a nice river thats got a good few handfuls of nice fly fishin' water.

Z
ZeeBorn
Yea, I've fly fished for trout for years too. So I have the basics down and know theoretically how to fish for steelhead but it’s always helpful to go with someone that actually knows what they are doing. If nothing else, just to see if what I'm doing is right so I can stop second guessing my self. Confidence in what you are doing is a big part of fishing success.
I haven’t ever fished the Molalla although I have heard some good things about it. I like to have the option to keep my ketch, and as far as I know the steelhead in that river are all native. I might give it a shot for trout though. I have done plenty of days of ketch & release trout fishing.
-Nate

R
Rokjak
Hay ZB (that's why it's called fishing) :) It took me about two years to get the hang of it. Just keep at it and learn to read the river and where the holding water is. Watch others and ask questions. Mostly it's paying your dues and hours on the river. Nothing beats a wild Steelhead on a dry fly in the fall. Wild man Wild :)

G
Growbug
ZeeBorn- What's your tackle? and what method/approach are you going to be using? Dry, Wet?

I am going to spend this winter focusing on one and only one aspect. My thoughts are that if i get better and better at this one thing, it will improve my catch rate.
I am going out with a 9ft 7 weight rod. 150 yards backing, attached to a 7WF Sink Tip (2-4" sec). I am attaching a 6ft leader and a couple of ft of tippet with a streamer (egg sucking leach, etc) on the end.
I want to get the fly down as fast as i can and drift the whole setup just off the bottom.

From all that i have read, this is a classic Pacific Northwest tactic, and if thats right, who am i to argue. Thining about it... its just another drift technique.
If it works.. then it works and i am going to focus on it.

Mostly, its going to be time practicing casting and peace away from everything.
Any fish will be a bonus..

Z
ZeeBorn
Rokjak said:
Hay ZB (that's why it's called fishing) :) It took me about two years to get the hang of it. Just keep at it and learn to read the river and where the holding water is. Watch others and ask questions. Mostly it's paying your dues and hours on the river. Nothing beats a wild Steelhead on a dry fly in the fall. Wild man Wild :)

I'm all for paying my dues.... I'm not looking for a free ride or a guide, Just someone to go fly fishing with. I'll keep at it my self though. I'm going to the sandy tomorrow so hopefully I'll get lucky. :pray:

Growbug said:
ZeeBorn- What's your tackle? and what method/approach are you going to be using? Dry, Wet?

I am going to spend this winter focusing on one and only one aspect. My thoughts are that if i get better and better at this one thing, it will improve my catch rate.
I am going out with a 9ft 7 weight rod. 150 yards backing, attached to a 7WF Sink Tip (2-4" sec). I am attaching a 6ft leader and a couple of ft of tippet with a streamer (egg sucking leach, etc) on the end.
I want to get the fly down as fast as i can and drift the whole setup just off the bottom.

From all that i have read, this is a classic Pacific Northwest tactic, and if thats right, who am i to argue. Thining about it... its just another drift technique.
If it works.. then it works and i am going to focus on it.

Mostly, its going to be time practicing casting and peace away from everything.
Any fish will be a bonus..

I use a 9', 8-weight St. Croix and Pflueger real with interchangeable tip line. I have a couple different sink tips and a floating. I use an 8 to 10ft leader with a 10 to 6lb tippet. For flies, I have been using marabou streamers, glow bugs, green but skunk, and egg sucking leaches. Most of my flies are weighted and I try to fish as close to the bottom as I can. Generally what I do is cast cross current (slightly up stream) and let the fly swing back down steam, mending a necessary. Or another method I use is to stand out in the river and cast upstream and slightly out and strip line in as the fly and line dead drifts back towards me. I haven't tried using a dry fly yet, but I know it would be exciting to see a steelhead take a dry fly.

-Nate

R
Rokjak
Good luck tomorrow.
I Steelhead fish here in N.E. Or. use a 9'5" Sage with a Scientific Angler Reel. This time of year I use a bright fly or a Bead Head Nymph #6 hook (Clear and Low water) IN the Fall I use an October Caddis #2 long shank or a Muddler Minnow Both dry fly's. Catch fish on top until the river gets cold, then down to the bottom, with sink tips and short leaders. All great fun. Didn't mean pay as in a guide, but pay with your time and hours on the water. Good luck again Jack L.

Z
ZeeBorn
Rokjak said:
Didn't mean pay as in a guide, but pay with your time and hours on the water.

Yea i got that.
Thanks for the encouragement! I'll let you know how I do.
-Nate

T
Teo
I haven't done much fly fishing for steelhead, but from what I have read the action of the fly is very important, and that the action is close to the surface. I believe that this goes back to what Rokjak is saying, that is, fish the surface when it's clear, though he probably has a different take. Basically you want the fly, perhaps a purple peril, to sweep across the current near the surface in front of where you think the fish are holding and it's this sweeping action that gives life to the fly which is alluring to the fish. Understand that this comes from a very inexperienced steelhead fisherman, but I have read it from more than one source, so I tend to give it credance.

My $.02
Ken

Z
ZeeBorn
Thanks ken Ill keep that in mined.
Well our outing to the Sandy got hijacked into going to another river that we got a tip was fishing well. I wont say what river we went to in interest of keeping the peace with the person that gave us the tip. The spot we were fishing wasn’t really conducive to my skill level of fly fishing, so I was drift fishing. I was fishing my new rod so of course I couldn’t get anything to take. But, my two friends hooked a total of 5 and 4 were landed one of witch was handed off to me to fight and land. So we all ended up with fish tagged and bagged.

I'm going to try to get back out there soon to try and find some good fly water. So ill let you all know how it goes.

-Nate

Last edited by a moderator:
R
redhawk50
I think all water can be good fly water. Swinging water, there are some good stretches at Oxbow on the Sandy. I am going to be hitting up Bonnie and Milo on the 30th to check out the water there with my fly rod. Hopefully catch some fish in the process.

Z
ZeeBorn
Well, yesterday I went back to the river my friends and I were at before didn’t get anything and didn't see anyone else getting anything. Today I went to the sandy up river from dodge and ones more didn't get anything. Maybe next time I'll go to Oxbow... Do you have to pay this time of year?
Also, can anyone recommend a good "how to" book or DVD for steelhead fly fishing?
-Nate

R
Rokjak
A how to book

A how to book

Also, can anyone recommend a good "how to" book or DVD for steelhead fly fishing?
-Nate[/QUOTE]

Kaufmann Streamborn - Fly Fishing Rods, Fly Fishing Reels, Flies and Fly Fishing Gear - Everything for the Fly Fisher - Since 1969 - Oregon - Home
I have used Kaufmanns for 30 years and have always had good results. They have many CD's and Books. Give them a look. Jack L.

R
redhawk50
I am a Kaufmann fan as well. Youtube is a great place to find videos on steelheading.

H
halibuthitman
Teo said:
I haven't done much fly fishing for steelhead, but from what I have read the action of the fly is very important, and that the action is close to the surface. I believe that this goes back to what Rokjak is saying, that is, fish the surface when it's clear, though he probably has a different take. Basically you want the fly, perhaps a purple peril, to sweep across the current near the surface in front of where you think the fish are holding and it's this sweeping action that gives life to the fly which is alluring to the fish. Understand that this comes from a very inexperienced steelhead fisherman, but I have read it from more than one source, so I tend to give it credance.

My $.02
Ken
after halloween you are going to want to put that fly within 6 inches of a winters face... so if your skimming the surface or using skaters your going to have a very slow day of fishing.

Z
ZeeBorn
Rokjak said:
Kaufmann Streamborn - Fly Fishing Rods, Fly Fishing Reels, Flies and Fly Fishing Gear - Everything for the Fly Fisher - Since 1969 - Oregon - Home
I have used Kaufmanns for 30 years and have always had good results. They have many CD's and Books. Give them a look. Jack L.

Thanks that’s a good resource!
I went to the sandy yesterday where I hooked and lost a nice fish probably about 8-9 lbs. I was swinging a marabou fly that I tied and at the end of the swing I felt two distinct tugs. I set the hook and the fish thrashed to the surface and busted the fly off. I then cursed and tied on a 10 lb tippet and a new fly. :rolleyes: Oh well at least I know I was doing something right and can add a new steelhead holding spot to my list.
I always tell my self "its better to have hooked and lost, than never to have hooked at all.";)
-Nate

Z
ZeeBorn
Went to Eagle Creek this morning. The water was low and clear with no sign of fish so we headed over to the Clackamas witch was looking good but still no fish to be had. I got soaked in the rain but did some good exploring and made the most of the last day of my 09 tag. Happy new year everyone! Now lets stick it to um in 2010!
Cheers,
Nate

B
BobberDown
i have not fly fished a lot in the past few years but for a steelhead fly fishing thread why has no one menshoind nymfing (not spelled write) it is the most produtive method for steelhead fishing strik indicater little split shot small bead head flieor micro jig 1/32 or 1/64 head works very nice
swinging flie for steelhead is a very trick method to evan get good and consistant at. not only is get the swing down very hard but fishing with a properly balanced fly that swings level is the most inporant thing if your fly swings head down tail up or tail down head up it does not look natural most of the big flys you see people swing are spey flies they are longer and harder to balnce when you tie them but once you figer out how to balnce your flie with what materal you tie them with and how you put them together. you will notice most of the best fly swinger are spey fisherman because they are fishing the rite kind of flys that are dezind to be fished that way
most good single handle fisherman do a lot more nymif fishing because it is so productive and a single hand rod is perfict for it and it opens up the kind of water you can fish i hope this helps thanks Dan

T
theboone
great post so far. the info on catching steelhead on a fly is super helpful.

i've been going out and paying my dues, soaking up what i can. hoping to catch my first steelhead soon. yesterday we went out to McIver. there were 5-6 other guys there and no action.

M
mlw
A terrific "how to" book for steelheading, is John Larison's "The Complete Steelheader" - excellent coverage of a variety of presentations, good practical read.
Michael