Steelhead fishing poll (since Dec 2019)

my2labs
my2labs
Poll: How many days has everyone spent fishing for steelhead since December 1 vs how many fish hooked and landed?

Also include if you were bank, boat, kayak fishing etc

We did one of these a couple years ago and it was interesting to see how terrible of a steelhead fisherman I am. And that continues!!!

If you’re going to lie, just don’t post.

Reactions: Admin and troutdude
my2labs
my2labs
I’ll start:

Days: 4
Steelhead: 0/1*
Suckers: 500/500
One pontoon float and three days bank fishing.
*it was probably a sucker too.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Hard to judge a steelhead angler in December....at least on my rivers anyway. We don't have a river with a significant return yet. That doesn't mean I'm not out trying tho. I do not consider myself a good winter steelheader but I'm determined that I'm going to learn my local rivers this year.

Days: Probably 7 or 8 but mostly just an hour or two with one full day on the water that resulted in one fish. All from drift boat or sled.

Steelhead 2/2 one wild, one clipped
Cutthroat and rainbows maybe 8/10

If you let me count the end of November:
Steelhead 1/1
Chinook 2/2
Coho 1/1
Sucker 1

Reactions: 305to503fishermen and my2labs
my2labs
my2labs
“Hard to judge a steelhead angler in December....at least on my rivers anyway. We don't have a river with a significant return yet.”

100% agree. It is very early.

But I am hoping that a lot can be learned from this info, especially if the poll occurs once a month through March.

C_Run
C_Run
I should probably quit while I am ahead. One day, one fish hooked , one fish landed Since Dec.1.

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Two boat trips, one 14" rainbow released.

madasahab
madasahab
1 day, 1 fish (wild), bank fishing

maxwyatt
maxwyatt
zero days. zero fish. Will be out Friday and maybe Monday so maybe I'll be able to post some good news. I was 1/1 last year with more days than I could count. Not a good season. Hopefully this year will be better.

Artwo
Artwo
2 Mornings so far..
No fish yet
Will be hittin it much harder from now through end of March (weekend mornings only)
Looking forward to besting last years numbers (9 mornings, 11 for 15).......

hobster
hobster
Nada here. 7 hours banking it on the river in 3 short trips, haven’t seen a fish hooked. Been super slow on our local river, really hope that changes after the water drops. @Artwo those are great numbers, couple of years ago I was 9 for 23 with winter steelies. Ouch! By far my worst landing ratio by year.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
2 days from the bank so far in January, 5 hours each, 0 steelhead hooked, one 14" cutthroat released.

maxwyatt
maxwyatt
Five hours yesterday. No bites. Saw some fish but not many for the amount of anglers

C
cddunn
4 days, 1/1 native.

C
Chetco
Maybe if I satiated my start date at 1962 when I started rowing ,when I returned from Vietnam in 1970 action was still good on our rivers .Being that I went to a school in the top 10 in world ,now I'm a NERD how many rivers
from Ba Ja AK has seen a steelhead increase.

madasahab
madasahab
Update: 4 1/2 hours today with not a sniff...guess I should be thankful I got 1 so far this year? Sadly that might be considered a good season the way things are...hope things get better for all of the fish runs ????

maxwyatt
maxwyatt
Another 4.5 hours on the Alsea. nada. I may try a different river next time.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
my update after yesterday:
4 days out from the bank so far this year, first three were full skunks (I did see one fish caught by a DB on day 2.)
Yesterday: 1 for 2 (two quick jumps from the first one I hooked then it was OFF) and I was also 2 for 2 netting fish for Hobster.

maxwyatt
maxwyatt
Third day out today and hooked and landed a nice buck. It feels good to get the skunk off.

Reactions: rogerdodger and Admin
maxwyatt
maxwyatt
So far I'm having a pretty good year. I only work four days a week, so I can usually get out once a week and have been fishing even though the water has been low and clear. I definitely have started to figure things out a little bit, but I it's still mostly luck. With ten days fishing I've been lucky enough to land 5 out of 5 steelhead. The last one was a wild fish, which surprised me since I didn't think there were a lot of wild fish in that system.

C_Run
C_Run
So here is my update because I think I may be done after Tuesday's skunking, that is, unless it rains real good again and soon. I fished from the bank seven times and caught seven fish. That includes two skunkings and two days I caught two. I can only think of two fish I missed. I have been trying to be more diligent sharpening the hooks during the day.