Steelhead fishing partner(s)

W
wildman
hello all
this is my first winter steelhead season and being new to the oregon its hard to find (or pick i should say) some good places to go. i'm having a hard time getting the timing right and i get confused because there is so many rivers to choose from(dang add!) :wall:haha plus it would be nice to have someone to go with to talk to and maybe split gas costs. i have a truck and am always willing to drive. i am a nice respectful 23 year old who loves to fish. so if you are looking for a steelhead fishing(or any type of fishing for that matter) buddy let me know!
thanks

J
JeannaJigs
Hey, ran into you at Siltcoos earlier this year. If you're in Eugene, I recommend the Siuslaw for winter steelhead, just because it's close, and it's got a pretty decent run with a lot of bank access and is a relatively easy river to fish any style you want. There's some good places to plunk, jig, drift, whatever you want to do, there's a spot for it. The lower river down near Brickerville and Swisshome should be producing now, but the upper river peaks in January/February, and there are fish in there until the cut off in April. I myself will be fishing it probably the 2nd week in January, not sure if I will bank it or take my driftboat, depends on what the river levels do the next 3 weeks, kinda dictates the fish movement. More than likely I will bank fish the stretch along Stagecoach Rd, there's a lot of really good holes along there, some are tricky to get to, but they're worth it. There is also lake creek, as an alternative. If the Siuslaw is blown out chocolate milk color status, Lake creek is gonna be a nice green. The downside is, Lake creek doesn't get very many hatchery fish, but there are a ton of natives.

S
steelhead_stalkers
My advice would be to choose one river and learn it! It might take a year or two but you will find places where the fish hold and after you have six or seven spots where fish hold then just keep going back to the same places. It gets frustrating if you keep jumping to different rivers. I would also stick with one technique or style of fishing until you get it down and start catching fish. Once you get those two things down then you can start to expand your rivers and techniques! Good luck.

D
dancindanthefisherman
fishing buddies

fishing buddies

Well i am always looking for others to go fishing with to share the expence of gas. i know most of the rivers around here and the times that there are fish in them. I have a drift boat and a car that gets about 33mpg and would love to have someone to split the costs of fuel. I have many friends who fish with me but they dont seem to have any money for fishing right now and i have really been wanting to go finish up the salmon run and sleigh some stealys.

C
Cohosanders
JeannaJigs said:
Hey, ran into you at Siltcoos earlier this year. If you're in Eugene, I recommend the Siuslaw for winter steelhead, just because it's close, and it's got a pretty decent run with a lot of bank access and is a relatively easy river to fish any style you want. There's some good places to plunk, jig, drift, whatever you want to do, there's a spot for it. The lower river down near Brickerville and Swisshome should be producing now, but the upper river peaks in January/February, and there are fish in there until the cut off in April. I myself will be fishing it probably the 2nd week in January, not sure if I will bank it or take my driftboat, depends on what the river levels do the next 3 weeks, kinda dictates the fish movement. More than likely I will bank fish the stretch along Stagecoach Rd, there's a lot of really good holes along there, some are tricky to get to, but they're worth it. There is also lake creek, as an alternative. If the Siuslaw is blown out chocolate milk color status, Lake creek is gonna be a nice green. The downside is, Lake creek doesn't get very many hatchery fish, but there are a ton of natives.

I have been to a few of those holes off stagecoach...Is that a lot of private land or will there be posted signs??? I have seen those tricky holes I think you are talking about. Those tracks throw me off. I guess I have to just do more recon on Jan 2nd;)

J
JeannaJigs
Cohosanders said:
I have been to a few of those holes off stagecoach...Is that a lot of private land or will there be posted signs??? I have seen those tricky holes I think you are talking about. Those tracks throw me off. I guess I have to just do more recon on Jan 2nd;)

I'll be on the Alsea I think the 2nd or I'd show ya a few spots. There is some private property on stagecoach, but it's posted, and I really recommend paying attention to that, I've had a landowner pull a gun on me when I missed a sign. There's plenty that isn't though. However, just be aware of your surroundings, there's some really wierd people out on stagecoach, I really don't like fishing out there by myself much anymore, lots of sketch activity, but I do it anyways (while carrying though). There's a lot of good access the opposite banks...accessible by walking across the tressles in a couple spots. There's some good water around mp4, 5 and 6;)

P
plumb2fish
I fish the slaw a lot myself and am generally ready to go at the drop of a hat on the weekend. There is a lot of water that is easily accessible on the slaw and its tribs. I completely agree that you should pick a river and a technique and practice until you start to be regulary successful. Once you begin to recognize where fish tend to be located you can apply the same hydrographic features to other bodies of water and find success. Pick a method that you are comfortable with and get good at it then expand to a different tactic. I also am always looking to meet people who are as addicted as I am. Fortunately I still have a job so I can afford to fish when not working. Feel free to PM me and we will go bonk some brats.

W
wildman
hey thanks guys!,
i really should just stick to one river but being from idaho i have been having lots of fun exploring oregon. :cool: but now that i have explored its time to get serious, i need my fishing fix or i'm gonna go crazy!.plus some meat for the smoker would be nice..
so the siuslaw is gonna be my best bet for eugene eh? sounds like its gonna be my new home river for awhile, if any of you see a maroon extended cab tundra with idaho license plates feel free to stop by and tell me what i'm doing wrong :lol: i'll be the tall guy in camo.. also which method would you recommend for the siuslaw. i'm probably going to use both drift and bobber but i was curious which might be better for winter steel/water conditions.
thanks for all your help everyone and i'll pm you guys about the future fishing!

L
livin2fish
wildman said:
hey thanks guys!,
i really should just stick to one river but being from idaho i have been having lots of fun exploring oregon. :cool: but now that i have explored its time to get serious, i need my fishing fix or i'm gonna go crazy!.plus some meat for the smoker would be nice..
so the siuslaw is gonna be my best bet for eugene eh? sounds like its gonna be my new home river for awhile, if any of you see a maroon extended cab tundra with idaho license plates feel free to stop by and tell me what i'm doing wrong :lol: i'll be the tall guy in camo.. also which method would you recommend for the siuslaw. i'm probably going to use both drift and bobber but i was curious which might be better for winter steel/water conditions.
thanks for all your help everyone and i'll pm you guys about the future fishing!
method,imo, depends on the hole, the water level etc. just play around a bit, watch and learn from others and one golden rule I go by is "it is not how many rivers you know it's how well you know your rivers", by the way where did you get that big fat cat i've been looking for some of those since I was in the army on the east coast.Good luck. Fishon.:D

W
wildman
sounds good looks like i'll have to do some experimenting! "by the way where did you get that big fat cat i've been looking for some of those since I was in the army on the east coast.Good luck. Fishon" i got that flathead cat at brownlee resevoir on the idaho side..there be some monsters in there! if you ever get over that way to eastern oregon/ idaho lemme know and ill get you some into some big cats :cool: