Steelhead fishing holes near Eugene

E
eugfisher
Hi,

Does anyone know of some places along the Willamette or McKenzie (in & around Eugene/Spfld) where I might have better luck on catching Steelheads ?

Appreciate the inputs... I am new at this and don't have much knowledge or experience ... so, trying it out at a potential place might increase my chances of catching one.

Thanks

AJ

J
JeannaJigs
eugfisher said:
Hi,

Does anyone know of some places along the Willamette or McKenzie (in & around Eugene/Spfld) where I might have better luck on catching Steelheads ?

Appreciate the inputs... I am new at this and don't have much knowledge or experience ... so, trying it out at a potential place might increase my chances of catching one.

Thanks

AJ

If you're into waking up at 4 to be on the river at first light, you can get a good spot on the hatchery side of the river below the leaburg dam...it's a pretty fishy place, but it's a combat zone often as the day rolls on, though there are several access points, but really all up and down the Mac there are good holes. Also if you're into carrying mace, you can grab a bike and take a ride down the bike path on the East bank through Eugene, there's quite a few areas of fishy water, as well as near island park in springtucky, up near D street. The willamette headed out to Jasper/Dexter has some good fishing as well, though it's a "special" crowd at Dexter most of the time...The mac is you're best bet around Eugene though, I'd say....but that's just my two cents.

Good luck

E
eugfisher
Thanks a lot for the inputs.
I will give it a shot ...

Troutski
Troutski
42nd and I-126

42nd and I-126

The pump area next to the freeway is about a mile or so of great Steelhead water, as far as the Mac goes. Nice water for resident Trout also...

Chuck

Reactions: allforthefish
E
eugfisher
Chuck,

thx for the information. This is the one very close to 42 st , right ? (where the river comes very close to the freeway). I have tried going there, but did not find an easy way to get there. Do you park at Marcola & 42 St , and then walk/bike it up ?

thx AJ