Steelhead dumped into JCP

N
natro
I don't fish the JCP, but I called the McKenzie Fish Hatchery for their trout stocking information. The recording said that on December 1st, they were putting steelhead into the JCP. I guess they must be tagged, because the recording says that any fisherman who catch the steelhead to call their fish tag line. Just thought I'd pass this info along. If you want to hear the recording the McKenzie Fish Hatchery number is (541)896-3294

brandon4455
brandon4455
thanks for the heads up on that. did they say how many fish they dumped?

brandon

N
natro
no it didn't.

brandon4455
brandon4455
darn. oh well im sure it shows on odfw or somthing.

brandon

N
natro
Or in the morning call the number I provided in my first message and you can talk to someone directly at the hatchery.

troutdude
troutdude
I cannot confirm, that steelie report at all on the ODFW site. I'm NOT sayin' your mistaken Nate...just that it is not on the ODFW site (not all reports from the hatcheries are called in to ODFW).

I looked at the Press Releases, the 2010 Stocking Schedule, as well as this week's Recreation Report for the Willy region. Here is what the Rec Report does say:

JUNCTION CITY POND: trout, bluegill

Anglers are reporting that there are several of the approximately 250 two-pounder rainbow trout remaining in the pond, including holdover trophy-sized fish in the 8-12 pound range that were stocked into Junction City pond two weeks ago. There are still some leftover 14 to 15-inch brook trout available as well. Junction City pond is located about 2 miles south of Junction City on 99W on the west side of the highway. There is excellent access around the entire 8-acre pond.

N
natro
That's why I provided the phone number to the hatchery, so people can call and listen to the recording themselves, or if they want, talk to someone directly at the hatchery and find out more info for themselves.

W
waco
yep the recording said so!!!

troutdude
troutdude
That's cool. I'm glad that you could verify it.

BTW, that happens pretty regularly at one my favorite lakes. The hatchery peeps will show up, with surplus steelies. And ODFW will be clueless, cuz the hatchery didn't tell 'em.

Just gotta love the GREAT communication, between state workers eh?

brandon4455
brandon4455
best way to catch the stocked steelhead is using a pot o gold ,kastmaster or a little cleo. well,atleast from what my cousin showed me.. m good luck to anyone who goes

brandon

T
Thuggin4Life
They do this all the time at jcp. leftover fish from leaburg hatchery. go get them just dont eat em.

W
waco
hows this pond never been there but i might give it a try this weekend!!!

P
plumb2fish
smoke em up and give em to the in-laws for christmas

brandon4455
brandon4455
waco said:

it's a nice pond, a lot of access pm me for some tips i know a few things that work great there

T
Thuggin4Life
Its just a little pond on the side of hyw 99 in junction city. the stock it with pellet heads, big nasty brooders, and the leftover steel from the hatchery. Kinda a pond for the kids, disabled, and the elderly. if you want to drive all the way down for one of these ponds you are crazy. winter steel are a way shorter trip for you compared to trying to get some used and abused summer steel.

P
plumb2fish
mom, look at this steehead i caught on powerbait....:dance:

R
rippin fish lips
waco said:

It usually fishes slow for the steelies and brooders to, a lot of the fish have lock jaw there this time of year.

troutdude
troutdude
waco said:

You can bet your insulated boots, that it will be CROWDED!!! It is only about 80 feet, OFF of Hwy. 99.

troutdude
troutdude
Nate...thanks again for staring this thread. I'm sure that some peeps, will want to go to JCP for said action. It's nice for kids, disabled, elderly, etc. to be able to get out and enjoy Oregon...er...ummm...I mean OSU! LOL

A
Anyfishisfine
Thuggin4Life said:
go get them just dont eat em.

I was wondering about this. Although they would be fun to catch, it seems they would be in pretty bad shape eating wise by the time they found their way to the pond.