Steelhead are a myth?

L
let'sgocasting
I have been try to catch winter steelhead for a few years now and I'm starting to think they don't actually exist. I have caught them in the summer but I can't seem to find the right hole at the right time. Any advice would be much appriciated.

Troutski
Troutski
Welcome...

Welcome...

let'sgocasting said:
I have been try to catch winter steelhead for a few years now and I'm starting to think they don't actually exist. I have caught them in the summer but I can't seem to find the right hole at the right time. Any advice would be much appriciated.

To start out, welcome to OFF, where are you located? What style of angling do you prefer? (Fly,Spinning,Baitcaster) Again welcome to the site.

Chuck

F
fishnquest
Don't give up; you've come to the right place. Welcome to the forum. Ask a specific question and these guys will give you a straight answer.

O
OneMore
Dont give up they are out there. I am somewhat new to winter steelhead as well and know how you are feeling :think:. As long as you keep trying I promise you will get one and when you do :dance:.

M
meluvtrout
I was at Clack yesterday and an elderly gentleman swinging flies caught and released a native while I was feeding my share of the spinners, egg patterns and corkies to River Gods.

We exchanged spinners with another gentleman. And also met a third one who's a chef at Stanford's...

Don't hesitate to ask/talk to people when you're here or on the river. Your day will come, too...

Welcome aboard.

M
mikeredding
You aren't fishing the McKenzie are you? There isn't a winter run but does have a great summer run.

J
Jiggalot
let'sgocasting said:
It's not always easy to achieve a catch during the winter months because of the different variations in water conditions. It can be discouraging when the results are unlucky(empty handed) but my advice to you is ......Take each trip as practice hours;) it requires to put in your time to become a successful steelhead angler and it may require many hours of practice...know what I mean? In other words you gotta earn your keeps!

K
Kodiak
Where are you fishing?

Where are you fishing?

If you tell us what systems you are trying to fish we can point you in the right direction. Oh, Welcome to OFF!

C
Catch 22
You're in luck. Jackalope season is just around the corner. If you don't get yourself a steelhead by then, you can start after some jackalopes. They're a lot of fun and you don't need waders!

Just teasin. Seriously though, the first steelhead is the hardest. The second one will come shortly after then it's all down hill!

Read my 10 percent thread and it may help you. There's lots of good info on this board and plenty of people willing to help. Including myself.

Jason

L
let'sgocasting
I prefer my fly rod but have tried every set up I could put together. I fish mostly the clackamas and eagle creek and have done well with other species. I also fish lakes all over Oregon. I would like to try from a boat but my little pantoon boat gets very cold this time of year.

J
JeannaJigs
let'sgocasting said:
I prefer my fly rod but have tried every set up I could put together. I fish mostly the clackamas and eagle creek and have done well with other species. I also fish lakes all over Oregon. I would like to try from a boat but my little pantoon boat gets very cold this time of year.
I just took my pontoon boat down the river for the first time, it had previously never left lake water...and it was actually pretty comfortable, granted I was out there on a decent day, but with waders it wasn't cold at all. It's a challenge in itself though navigating on moving water, it ends up being the primary focus, and fishing became secondary. (for me anyways). I hooked up and lost a fish because of this, but, it was fun nonetheless. I imagine the more you do it, the more natural it becomes and the focus shifts back to slayin' some steel.

Good luck.

I
Indifisher
Let'sgocasting -
Don't loose hope. Honestly, this is not the best season on record to be slaying winter steel. Return numbers are extremely low on just about all rivers. Blame low river levels, lack of rain, ever growing oceanic "Dead Zones" just off shore, this years Steelhead just aren't showing up like years past. According to your post, you are probably fishing some of the "better" waters right now however. Just stay positive, get out there, put the hours in, and you will hook up. After you land that first one, you will forget about all the "eternity" it took to get it. Face it, there aren't too many better things than just being out on the water. The folks on this site are more than willing to share all they know with you. That's why we are here.

C
Cascade
what river did you take your pontoon on ? the river seem up at all from the rain?

J
JeannaJigs
Cascade said:
what river did you take your pontoon on ? the river seem up at all from the rain?
Took it down a stretch of the Siuslaw last Sunday. It really hadn't rained a whole lot in the last 2 weeks, rained maybe two days? It was up about 3 inches, but it was still running gin clear and very low compared to previous years.

K
Kodiak
Kepp at it!!

Kepp at it!!

I tagged my first winter fish of the year today. Yours will come. Try in choppier water like the tails of riffles and deep pools...found lots of fish in those areas today.

F
fishkiller
You have caught summer steelhead :)only because they are lazy and lethargic.