Steelhead advice for the Siuslaw or other rivers please?

L
LovesFishing
Hi Everyone,
My husband and I are new to steelhead fishing. We headed out to Siuslaw above and below Whittaker Creek (Milepost 1 and 2). Around MP 1 and 2, we heard of a combined 5 caught. Saw one get away while the fight was on. Saw another hauled in. All fish caught from a drift boat. Looked like drift rather than bobber was doing the trick.

Some guys saying they hadn't caught anything, but people around them were. So a real mix. Maybe in a week or two it will pick up.

Questions I have please: we were bank fishing. Does anyone have experience fishing the bank with success below Whittaker? If so, what do you use? (We were kind of like Laurel and Hardy at Walmart last night guessing what was the right rig gear to choose.)

Also, about five or so miles up from Whittaker Creek inlet there is a nice sandy beach, good for casting, but no bites. Is it not worth fishing for steelies up that high?

Also, any other river bank fishing that are day trips from the Eugene, Oregon area you could recommend?

Thanks kindly for any advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
P
ProfessorChromology
Go to TWO BROS tackle shop in Eugene. I think they are on about 9th or 10th and Wilson just North of West 11th. They will be able to sell you the right gear and give you advice on where to go. They are really experienced guys who know the area well. Keep trying!

L
LovesFishing
It's funny you say that Professor. About two minutes ago, I said to hubby: "I want to go talk to Bill this week..." (owner of Two Bros)! You are right. He's a knowledge house. Thanks much!

P
plumb2fish
10th and McKinnley......steelheading on the Siuslaw has been spotty at best for me this year. I normally fill at least one hatchery tag from that system, and this year because of the apparent lack of fish I have only been down a handful of times with 5 fish.
Fish have been taken drift fishing yarnies, eggs and on spinners. Try and find sections 3-6' deep at walking speed with a "riffle" to give the fish some cover. When the wateer is high and off color tyr using chartreusse as the prominent color in your yarnie. Spinner colors have been brass/brass silver/blue silver/silver in size 4. Good Luck

97trapper
ODFW Willamette Falls Fish Passage Fish Counts. will give ya a idea when the fish are coming in eugene .start wacthing now then around april 15th you should see good numbers a day.i have heard 7 to 10 days after they leave oregon city to pass through town.there is 3 town runs in eugene 1 at valley river center 1 at Eweb 1 at main st in springfield to I-5.. Siuslaw gets salmon in late Nov the steelie have a egg diet on the way up. try fishing SAND shrimp roe and nightcralwers.YARN balls in orange, pink, red.fish the ripples in low water fish next to the bank in high water thease fish are lazy and take the eazy path up river.my last winter fish was less then 3 feet off the bank on eggs.the few fish that i hook dont bite much harder then trout.fish whieght on bottom 17 to 25 inch leader

F
fish_4_all
This year I got 2 steelhead within 3-5 feet of the bank in 5 feet +/- of water. It was a back eddie right on the bank that I would have never figured would hold fish. Even pulled a late Coho in the same shallow drift.

If the water looks like it could hold fish run a line through it. Especially if the water is cloudy and you can't see the bottom.