Steelhead 2018 show OFF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hooked Up

Had a few caught over the last two weekends.
Went 2/3 on the first trip. 1st fish was on a plug and the 2nd fish was caught on a soft bead, twice. The 2nd fish came undone after a few rolls, rowed up river and bam, in the exact same spot. Both were nates so just glory shots. We switched rowing a few times, very windy so someone always had to be working the sticks.
Yesterday I got my grade school friend John, yeah that was many years ago, onto his 1st ever steelhead. Bonus was that it was a hatchery hen with eggs.
Still waiting on my 1st tug of the year. Also, another bonus got to meet fellow OFFer My2Labs at the ramp.

Attachments

C_Run

Big joint effort by me and my buddy. We dubbed this one "the sardine". At least it was a keeper and in great shape. (It went on my tag.)

Attachments

hobster

Hooked Up;n610454 said:
Had a few caught over the last two weekends.
Went 2/3 on the first trip. 1st fish was on a plug and the 2nd fish was caught on a soft bead, twice. The 2nd fish came undone after a few rolls, rowed up river and bam, in the exact same spot. Both were nates so just glory shots. We switched rowing a few times, very windy so someone always had to be working the sticks.
Yesterday I got my grade school friend John, yeah that was many years ago, onto his 1st ever steelhead. Bonus was that it was a hatchery hen with eggs.
Still waiting on my 1st tug of the year. Also, another bonus got to meet fellow OFFer My2Labs at the ramp.
Nice work! That hen in the second picture is a beauty!

my2labs

Hooked Up;n610454 said:
Also, another bonus got to meet fellow OFFer My2Labs at the ramp.
It was nice meeting you as well.

The water was low and clear so I can vouch, he worked for the fish he caught!

I have not figured the low, clear tactics yet but Im working on it.....

However, showing my wife a couple sturgeon on the river bottom and floating the river in the sun made for a relaxing day, even though we got skunked.

At least one OFFer produced!!!

Hooked Up

my2labs;n610474 said:
However, showing my wife a couple sturgeon on the river bottom and floating the river in the sun made for a relaxing day, even though we got skunked.
We've floated over a bunch of sturgeon as well.

killigan

Went out yesterday with rogerdodger and hobster in our "new" old drift boat that we went in on together. Second time taking her down the river, and we were able to get one in the net. A nice little buck with lots of energy, hooked on a 12mm soft bead under a float. rogerdodger with the net, scooped him up out of the water like a pro! hobster busted out his Go-Pro and got some great footage of the fight all the way to the net!

image_32118.pngimage_32119.png

Here is the video from hobster's YouTube page:

Last edited by a moderator:

hobster

Had lots of fun the other day, got some cool gopro footage fighting a fish (the first of me filmed by me :)). Hooked quite a few and had a big buck break the treble hook on my cleo!

image_32120.jpgimage_32125.jpg

C_Run

I took what I think is my last winter steelhead trip this year and it was the first day with more than one bite/fish. Ended up with this wild fish and a big hatchery (no pic) fish that was much darker. He got let go, too. It's funny, I also caught two fish on 3/29/2017. The blue Steelie was one I found and cleaned up. It wouldn't occur to me to buy one that color but it worked....twice!

Attachments

rogerdodger

C_Run;n611022 said:
I took what I think is my last winter steelhead trip this year and it was the first day with more than one bite/fish. Ended up with this wild fish and a big hatchery (no pic) fish that was much darker. He got let go, too. It's funny, I also caught two fish on 3/29/2017. The blue Steelie was one I found and cleaned up. It wouldn't occur to me to buy one that color but it worked....twice!
Outstanding. and excellent tip on lure color.

hobster

catphish;n611068 said:
a freckled eggwagon I landed
That's a beauty, is that a summer fish? Looks too fresh to be a winter

catphish

hobster;n611105 said:
That's a beauty, is that a summer fish? Looks too fresh to be a winter
nope, as winter as they come, didnt fight hard. probably had just hit the river system. meat was poor and pale. smoked up nice tho.

rogerdodger

catphish;n611210 said:
nope, as winter as they come, didnt fight hard. probably had just hit the river system. meat was poor and pale. smoked up nice tho.
one thing I have observed, in Siltcoos coho and Siuslaw winters, the hens put so much into their eggs that flesh quality fades really fast. bucks are totally different, the flesh holds up much longer, coho bucks are good table fare even with some red starting to show ("fire trucks" not so much) and winter steelhead bucks that are real colorful when caught and darken up on the way home, flesh is often real good.

Status
Not open for further replies.