Steelhead 2018 show OFF

Status
Not open for further replies.

McMudpuddle

fish.JPG
We got on the board a few times this past weekend. This is a picture of my son with his first tagged fish this year.
He convinced me to switch to his now favorite type of fishing, boon dogging(sp?). Turned out to be the right call!

hobster

Nice chromer! Bobber doggin is what you are referring to, it is basically drift fishing with a half bobber so you don’t get hung up so much. I’ve only done it once but I’ve seen people slay em using that technique.

C_Run

One for two today, another wild fish. This whopper was probably 5 or 6 lbs! For once I forgot to slip my license in my pocket when I left my truck and wouldn't you know it, here comes the warden when I am about a mile from my truck. Uh oh! I got OFF with a verbal warning but he said there would have been a problem if I did have a fish on me so I guess I'm glad I never got a keeper. He was a nice guy and I'm glad someone is checking.

Attachments

GaryP1958

rogerdodger;n610115 said:
got this nice buck today on an orange yarnie dropper under eggs...got it all on video, with snow falling, from hookset to bank landing 50yards downstream....
Thats a nice fish Roger I got a buck that big a few years ago down at 10 mile good job son!

Last edited by a moderator:

hobster

C_Run;n610312 said:
One for two today, another wild fish. This whopper was probably 5 or 6 lbs! For once I forgot to slip my license in my pocket when I left my truck and wouldn't you know it, here comes the warden when I am about a mile from my truck. Uh oh! I got OFF with a verbal warning but he said there would have been a problem if I did have a fish on me so I guess I'm glad I never got a keeper. He was a nice guy and I'm glad someone is checking.
Funny, i had the same thing happen to me last year, left my wallet in the truck and the officer was cool about it. That is awesome you got into some fish today with the rivers being blown out, coastal stream i assume? Don't have to tell ;)

C_Run

hobster;n610317 said:
Funny, i had the same thing happen to me last year, left my wallet in the truck and the officer was cool about it. That is awesome you got into some fish today with the rivers being blown out, coastal stream i assume? Don't have to tell ;)
Yep, the coast, the ****** River. It went from slate to green during the day and it would have been a lot better with about half as much water. Kind of hard to fish a lot of it.

rogerdodger

C_Run;n610312 said:
excellent, did it fight good? I'm hoping to find some wild fish to C&R during this next drop.

I'm glad he just gave you a warning but having an un-tagged fish would be a 'ruh-roh' moment for sure..

when I explain the salmon/steelhead tagging rules to newbies it often goes like this- the reason having a properly completed line on your tag is so important, and must be done as soon as it is safe and definitely before you go back to fishing, is that tag is what allows you to legally have in your possession that specific dead fish in the field. it's like having a receipt that shows the species, where, and when you caught it. Without that correct line on your tag, it would be illegal to have that fish in your possession.

more than once I have seen a boat pull up to the Florence launch with an un-tagged, but otherwise legally caught fish in the cooler, and every time, the fish went away and tickets were issued.

C_Run

They always seem big when they hit a spoon but the one I lost right after that fought much better ....for all of ten seconds.

I DID have my pen in my pocket but that was it. It was a total space out situation. My licence always stays in my pickup since that's what I use to get around all the time now. It was just an oversight. When I was a kid I may have bent the rules a time or two but now I try to be legal at all times. It's funny that I have only been checked twice now and it was the one time I did not have the paperwork on me.

hobster

Me and my buddy Roger D decided to do some bush wacking on a couple of coastal streams today, we had a great time exploring some new water! Got most of the excursion on my gopro, which i still need to edit. Hooked into a nice fish at the end of a picture perfect tailout which to our surprise was a hatchery stray, of course my gopro battery died literally seconds before hooking up. My first jig fish this year, and only second on the bobber, been digging drift fishing as of late. Luckily Roger got most of the fight on his gopro here are a couple of pics. What an awesome day!

C_Run

That's a beaut'. It must have been exciting in that skinny water. I don't have much luck with jigs but I keep trying.

hobster

C_Run;n610376 said:
That's a beaut'. It must have been exciting in that skinny water. I don't have much luck with jigs but I keep trying.
It was a blast! There were some fast rapids under the hole, but i was able to keep him out of them luckily. I discovered jig fishing about 5 years ago after years of drift fishing, my introduction to steelheading. I used to catch a bunch with jigs but I've used beads more lately (like everyone else :)), it felt good to get one on a jig. They get down quick and are great for small holes, keep trying and i'm sure you will have success.

killigan

Went out yesterday to a coastal creek I like to fish when my regular river is blown-out. Water color was slate grey and flow/level was excellent. Ended up going 1 for 2 in non-stop raining conditions. Took home an "egg wagon" hatchery hen 25" in length, and lost a dark buck with deep red sides. He was on for 5 sec and made one huge areal jump to give me the "fin" and the hook came out. I would have thrown him back, but it would have been nice to get a good fight out of it :)

0228181327.pngIMG950368.png

hobster

Flyinfish57;n610385 said:
coastal chrome on the centerpin, before the flu took me out
Gorgeous fish! Nice to see some more being posted. Nice fish Brandon, those berries look excellent. I still use a powder cure, but i might try the liquid cure, how do you like it?
Next week lookin good fo sho!

killigan

hobster;n610394 said:
I still use a powder cure, but i might try the liquid cure, how do you like it?
This is my first time trying the liquid cure. I use a powder cure usually as well, but this time I wanted to see how the liquid cure did. I like my eggs "gummy" so they stay on the hook better. When they were finished, I let them dry out on paper towels for a couple hours. Then I hit them with a little Pro-Cure fine Borax before jarring them up for freezer storage.
Next week does look good, should be good the next few weeks or more!

rogerdodger

killigan;n610399 said:
This is my first time trying the liquid cure. I use a powder cure usually as well, but this time I wanted to see how the liquid cure did. I like my eggs "gummy" so they stay on the hook better. When they were finished, I let them dry out on paper towels for a couple hours. Then I hit them with a little Pro-Cure fine Borax before jarring them up for freezer storage.
Next week does look good, should be good the next few weeks or more!
I have been very happy with the Pro-Cure liquid, very easy to use. If you leave them too long before drying and packing they can firm up a bit, especially smaller eggs, but that's the only tip I have for using it. most of mine have been come out just right, nice sticky membrane and they make nice 'blobs' on the hook.

rogerdodger

hobster;n610375 said:
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/V2GFYL7.jpg"}[/IMG2]
FYI- if you noticed the missing fin up front, this is an ADLM (adipose + left max clip) fish, which means a 'normal' hatchery broodstock fish, probably from the Siletz system. ADRM (adipose + right max clip) is used to mark fish that come from wild broodstock parents.

Status
Not open for further replies.