Steelhead 2011 Show OFF

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

skunk

I wish this was a report about what a stud fisherman I have become, but its not. Its a tale of what could go wrong and didn't. After too many hrs and months of trying for a winter steelhead I finally have a success story. Today, after much deliberation I talked myself into getting out on the river for an afternoon of 'practice'. I took my float rod, and for no reason than I thought it was a good idea, my 6'6 bass rod with a browning casting reel. I got to the river and how cool, no one else was in sight. I set up with the float rod and after two casts doubt set in. Just a day like any other, nothing and now I'm discouraged. So I set that rod down and went about rigging a corkie and yarn set up. Something I have never tried exactly. Done similar on Eagle, but this was a bit different. Too much yarn, a too large corkie as I was later told, and probably not enought wt.

A guy and his son come set up about 50' above me, usual pleasantries about how slow the fishing is and they start a fire. The dad moves more upstream and I set about casting. Remember, I rock at casting, catching rocks, sticks, other peoples rigs, old trash, trash fish etc. So when my rig stops on the 5th cast, I become a little ticked. What, now I'm stuck and probably have to break and rerig. Set the hook and what the...it sets back, weird. Yank again, pullllllllll (long pull) back. What in the world in in the river that will pull back??? Never in my life expected a long steel rocket to come launching out of the river. Guy upstream yells 'fish on'...no duh, ooops he has one too. Huge native, breaks his reel, he's loving it. I suddenly remember...no net, not cooler, no knife, no waders uhoh!!! Well, I'll just enjoy...wait a minute my reel won't retrieve. O yeah, did I mention I have no idea how this reel works? Now I'm shaking, the fish peels off line in a downstream run and I can't get the reel to work!!! Needless to say I figured it out, wore the fish out, landed it with my own hand, and have finally...as they say...not given up!!!

First steel 003.jpg First steel 006.jpg First steel 005.jpg

Sorry that was long winded, I am so pumped!!! Big thanks to all the info passed along and all the help on the river.

M

metalfisher76

That`s a beaut man! Great job keepin after them feesh. I bet yer not thinking of givin up any more!!:clap::clap::clap:

T

Throbbit _Shane

Way to go dude!!! now its time to change your name on here !!! :D

B

Bucknasty

Way to stick through the tough times buddy! i know it gets frustrating but well worth it when it all pays off!! yee haw!! Cheers, Bob

D

Dbaum

Nice job Skunk! What a beautiful fish!!!:clap::clap::clap:

I have had two head shake loose this year so I could use some of your luck headed my way...:lol: I am gonna try and get back at 'em next week so I hope it happens for me too! Way to go man!:D:D:D

DB

Y

youngbuck307

Way to get it done!!! And like 90% of people who have never drift fished hook up the same way just think it's a snag... By chance were u up where you pmed me about?

P

ProfessorChromology

There is nothing in the world like your first steelie! Well done! It is SO time to go fishing!

M

markasd

Awesome!! Nice lookin fish and great report...

Nice beanie btw.. they used to ROCK!!

troutdude

troutdude

As the unofficial Mayor of OFFville, it is now my pleasure and OFFicial duty to strike your name from the record books. Henceforth, ye shall be known as Zero Skunk.

NICE job, and great description man. I felt like I was right next to you, whoopin' n' hollerin'!

R

RunWithSasquatch

Awesome fish! I love hearing about people sticking it out through long stretches of not catching a fish,and making it happen! One of the best things anyone can learn is to tail a fish with out a net, steelhead fishing can require covering as much water as one can in a day to find the fish, and a net slows you down. Nice job!

G

GDBrown

Great fish and well told story. I think you spent half the time it took me to get my first Winter Steelhead. I fished at least three or four seasons before I got my first Winter fish.

You no skunk now!

S

SemperFly

Awesome fish and great story. Congrats!

N

Ntofishing

That was an awesome story and a great fish. Times like this one are what makes fishing worth the effort and hassle. I guess now all that is left is "have you any good recipe's" LOL!!

S

skunk

Thanks all, it tasted great Ntofishing. Gotta say, if it was any less difficult to get that first one, it probably wouldn't have been so sweet. Guess that's what fishing is really about, meeting great people, and getting great memories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom