Steel-head questions??

T
the salmon kid
i will be going to tueville this weekend to fish for summer steel head,:think:.,rite now it is restricted to fly fishing or fly and bobber only,., a buddy of mine told me to use a egg-sucker ugly bug with a copper john dropper i was wondering if any one els knows of and good flys or any good fly combos to use under a float because it is no attached weight either for summer steel-head in the upper rogue so any ideas:think: i don't know what kind of flys the steel head like cause i never really fished for them so if you have any :think:suggestions please tell or put up a pic that would be great thanks
the salmon kid <+((((-{

p.s i am sorry about how i handled the salmon in my last post i will be more care full next time

T
Thuggin4Life
I didn't tlook in the book but if its fly only then you have to actually use a fly rod can't use the sping rod with a fly. kinda dumb rule since i know flys are great lures but can't/haven't used a fly rod and should be able to use a fly as a lure on my spin rod for fly only. so with that if the regs are fly only hopefully you have a fly rod. not exactly sure what to use but if you are trying to use a float i think a strike indicator whould be your best bet. hopefully some tohers have better info.

T
Throbbit _Shane
you can use a spinning rod. todays mailtribune had a article about using nymphs for the summer steelhead.

T
the salmon kid
yes you can use a spinning rod but you have to use a artificial fly and to have to use a float with no attached weight

M
metalfisher76
Find some egg patterns with lil beads right on `em.

T
Thuggin4Life
Someone told me in a lake were its fly only you can't use a spinning rod. must have been missimformed.

T
Throbbit _Shane
The regulations for the Rogue River state that u can use spinning gear.

S
SantiamDrifter
greenbuttskunk

kirkster
kirkster
Thuggin4Life said:
Someone told me in a lake were its fly only you can't use a spinning rod. must have been missimformed.

you werent missiformed regulations change from one body of water to the next.

T
Thuggin4Life
yeah thanks i know just never heard of fly only with the exception that you can still use spinning gear. i was very confused. maybe its more common than i thought.

S
steelheadstalker31
I know a guide who has been working the upper Rougue and doing very well on yarn balls, both with and without UV yarn.

E
eat, sleep, fish
Here's the article from the paper Nymphing. Use a heavy fly to get your stuff down and then a yarn ball. Try different shades of orange and pink. Egg sucking leaches can also be good.

brandon4455
brandon4455
try using different leech and egg patterns along with nymphs. and the best thing i find to work under a float fly wise is a glo bug

-brandon

T
the salmon kid
the verdict is in guys.., i went down to tueville Saturday and Sunday and ended up catching 6 nice steel head and all were nates and all where released but 1 that one was hatchery and dinner.,, i was using 2 combinations of flys one was a egg sucking ugly bug with rubber legs with a copper john dropper and the other was a black stone fly with a steel head killer dropper and i had a great time
thank for all the advice and i will be posting the video today
i also hooked a few salmon on the flys and they had to be released and i will be posting those videos on YouTube