Stay off the ice!!

H
halibuthitman
just got a call from a friend, it appears someone decided to walk on vernonia pond, sounds like the rescue proccess is ongoing... hope they are ok in the end... and the rescuers. I have lost 2 friends one coastie and one emt, both gave their lives to rescue someone who had put themselves in a bad situation out of stupidity.... so stay off the damn ice.. the life you save may be more than your own.

T
tbox
Thank you for this reminder...I saw someone trying to walk on the pond near UofO yesterday. Not to mention a few cars that spun off the road near LCC. Please be safe, and smart this winter!!!!

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Pay attention

Pay attention

Someone should let FishSchooler know about the dangers of ice. :naughty: Did you see the pic of him (?) lying down face first on his pond? I have a lot of medical field friends and hear some horror stories from them about this time of year. :(
Pay attention,people. Stay off and out of the ice! You won't believe how cold it really is...:shock: :pray:

T
Troutier Bassier
Falling through thin ice is terrible. your body goes into shock from the water and you can't get out easily. scary stuff.

D
dude young
Agreed, you should not venture out on the ice if you are not familiar with being out on the ice. And my guess is that most folks in this area are not very well versed on ice safety. Here is a link to a New Hampshire F&G Ice Safety pamphlet that should give you an idea of what to look for and what to do in the event you or someone you are with should fall through.

I have been ice fishing for several years and have never broken through because I have never let my guard down. Bottom line, if you are not sure, don't go out on it.

I agree with Barb, "Stay Safe"!

B
Bohemian
When I was about 13 yrs old I fell through the ice on a lake in Minnesota. I had been raised skating and fishing on lake ice and still got into trouble. It was a private lake that I was very familiar with and the ice was very thick. Evidently someone cut a very large hole for an ice house, never marked it or put the house on it. A snow storm came and covered everything. I was walking out to a hole we drilled previously to do some crappie fishing and walked right into the hole that was hiding under fresh snow. It was just like stepping off of a dock and down I went! I was alone (not a good idea -- I had a somewhat strange childhood :rolleyes:) and fortunately I came straight back up with my ice fishing pole still in my hand. I somehow dug the fishing pole spike into the ice at the edge of the hole and was able to pull myself out -- this involved no thinking, just absolute panic :shock:. I almost passed out from the shock of the cold -- couldn't catch my breath -- it's actually pretty painful.The good news was that I got out of the water...the bad news was that it was only about 0 degrees outside and I was wet with about a 1/4 mile to get back to the house. It goes without saying that I ran the whole way. To say the least, this made a lasting impression on me.. trust me, you don't want to leave this world by falling through the ice and drowning.

Be Careful

A
Anyfishisfine
Watch your dogs too. I took mine down to Cook Park today and he jumped off the boat ramp onto the ice. His legs shot out from under him cartoon style, but he managed to scramble back up.

I thought he learned a lesson, but seconds later he jumped back out and broke through, his forward momentum taking under the ice itself. He was close enough that I was able to grab his tail and pull him out from under it and back to the dock, but it was a scare for both of us.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Water puppy

Water puppy

Anyfishisfine said:
Watch your dogs too. I took mine down to Cook Park today and he jumped off the boat ramp onto the ice. His legs shot out from under him cartoon style, but he managed to scramble back up.

I thought he learned a lesson, but seconds later he jumped back out and broke through, his forward momentum taking under the ice itself. He was close enough that I was able to grab his tail and pull him out from under it and back to the dock, but it was a scare for both of us.

Ummm,is he a yellow lab by any chance? My daughters' lab does that every chance he gets. :rolleyes: Water loving dogs are great,they just need to learn when to back off sometimes. Glad he is okay. Are you? :think: Hope so.:pray:

A
Anyfishisfine
Raincatcher said:
Ummm,is he a yellow lab by any chance? My daughters' lab does that every chance he gets. :rolleyes: Water loving dogs are great,they just need to learn when to back off sometimes. Glad he is okay. Are you? :think: Hope so.:pray:

He is a Goldendoodle. He just had to deal with a cold walk back to the car. Worse case I think you can stand up there (human, not dog). The water is pretty shallow, and I would have gone in after him if I had to. I'm glad it didn't come to that.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Cool with curls

Cool with curls

That 'splains it. :lol: They are great dogs from what I've heard,but have a definite penchant for water. My neighbor's would swim in a teacup if it could figure out how to get all four paws in there. :lol: :lol: Very lovable and devoted. Enjoy.

M
Mrs. R & B
Yesterday we were watching some people walking out on the ice on the Sandy River. They had to be nuts because there were right at the edge of the ice and right under there is is about 5ft deep. They are very lucky to have not fallen in!! I would never walk on the ice and thats pretty stupid to do it on a river!!:doh:

T
Troutier Bassier
That is very stupid. Especially on the sandy.