Stalking salmon in Alsea

Admin
Admin
Went to recon Alsea today. Didn't see any fish. I was fishing next to two guys who appeared to be Combat Chuck with his friend. Not us, no angler on the opposite site, no guys in boats hooked anything. But how beautiful it is out there!

Regarding "water reading", how would you fish that place with a lure? Where would you position yourself, where would you cast, what lure would you chose and how would you work it?

Last edited:
Admin
Admin
more pictures

P.S. I found something that looked like... :redface: a pile of poop. :lol: Who made it? Elk? Bear? :shock:

Admin
Admin
[YOUTUBE]NHS87DlEQKg[/YOUTUBE]

T
Troutier Bassier
Well the slack water at the Beggining of the Video in between the 2 currents should be holding fish. Otherwise Its a beautiful river. Your lucky you live close to it.

And about reading water, Fish the Edges, Edge of the Current, Edge of deep and Shallow. I think steelhead Stalkers said that one. Or another site. can't remember.

Last edited:
C
Chedster
Looks like a nice day out there on the river. I would try some shrimp jigs I just tied on some of that deeper water in your pics/vid. I have also done ok drifting a chunk of shrimp with a bright orange or pink corky. Pick a piece of river and fish it well, leave no submerged boulder unturned....Well not literally.:D Probably would have seen you down there but I decided to get the flu instead. At least I got some jigs tied for winter steelhead.

S
steelhead_stalkers
Looks like human poop! :lol: JK!

C
Chedster
And I thought it was bad enough that people can't pick up their trash, now they are defecating on the river bank!:shock: But anyways looks like black bear scat?

A
adambomb
From the video clip, with spinners, I would cast upstream at about a 45 degree angle, aiming for the far edge of the fastest water. Then, reel in the slack as the spinner sinks until your line is directly in front of you then, hold your rod tip low and let the current carry it into the "soft seam" or near edge of the current. Fish will hold in that area where they have to do very little swimming to stay put. As your spinner leaves the current, reel in slowly and raise your rod just enough to stay off the bottom. Most importantly, fish it all the way to the bank!! Salmon can be very indecisive at times and wont strike until the last moment. At least, that has been my experience:cool:

T
Teo
Chedster said:
I would try some shrimp jigs I just tied on some of that deeper water in your pics/vid. I have also done ok drifting a chunk of shrimp with a bright orange or pink corky.

As I recall, fishing with bait is not allowed on the Alsea.

M
mgdguy
I think if you're pics don't have any FISH in them they shouldn't be allowed to be 'photo' tagged :lol:

kidding of course ;) Good report :)

H
halibuthitman
Im gonna go ahead and guess that is some good old fashion coyote dookie... bear dook usally has empty cans of pepper spray, bells, carabiners and bullets smaller than 40 caliber in it....

C
Combat Chuck
There was a trail leading up to a pasture right behind us that had a bunch of horses in it :think: We may of may not have taken that shortcut back to the truck.:cool:
The strike that I got at that site was just before the two currents merged together.

S
Stratos
I have fished the Alsea for years and that spot your were fishing at seems to be in the dead zone. Very few fish hold there even in good years. Lots of fish hold both above and below that section, but for some reason not in that beautiful hole.

I have seen a few caught when they are on the move in heavy numbers.

C
Chrome_Chaser
Looks like you're really enjoying that new camera. I really like that under water videoing of your catch.:clap::clap:

S
Stratos
You are getting in a much fishier portion of the river.:clap:

Admin
Admin
Chrome_Chaser said:
Looks like you're really enjoying that new camera. I really like that under water videoing of your catch.:clap::clap:
I do indeed. Thank you!

Stratos said:
You are getting in a much fishier portion of the river.:clap:
Well, I'm kinda on a border :lol: It's closed above Five rivers. :D

G
GDBrown
Strike

Strike

adambomb said:
Salmon can be very indecisive at times and wont strike until the last moment. At least, that has been my experience:cool:

:rolleyes:Of course the last moment is when they strike otherwise it wouldn't be a strike!!!:rolleyes:

Great pics Anatoliy! I'll have to try putting one of my videos on like that.

GD

Admin
Admin
BTW I noticed that today the water was not as muddy as yesterday. I have a question: when is a better time to fish for salmon - right after a big rain when water is muddy, or later when the water gets clear?

C
Chrome_Chaser
Anatoliy said:
BTW I noticed that today the water was not as muddy as yesterday. I have a question: when is a better time to fish for salmon - right after a big rain when water is muddy, or later when the water gets clear?

I like to wait until the water start clearing up. Right now should be really good. I'll be there again on Wednesday hopefully. Should have some fresh fish moving up river now. Can't wait.

B
bigsteel
is there good bank access on the alsea or is it mostly private property...