St. Louis Report 5/1/2011

S
Sgrunig90
Sunday, May 1st

Myself and another OFFer Drew went out to St. Louis ponds for some carp/catfish.

We tried pond 7 in the back. I only managed to get a few hits with sandshrimp.

I then personally went to pond 6 with the sandshrimp, had a few hits as well.

Few hours passed, we decided to head home. On the way back Drew spotted a fish in pond 6. With fly in hand, he threw the fly in the water, bout 20 secs later, a shadow emerges and hits the fly hard.

30 seconds later, a 4lb trout layed on the shore next to Drew and I.

Good day for fishing. :)

Still trying to catch some channels out of there. I will get one! ;)

D
Drew9870
4lbs of sweet Catfish/Lingcod Bait..... :lol:

That thing had a nasty gash on both sides of it, also looked like a fungal infection was starting to break out in the wound, the meat was about as white as a Sturgeons lol.

I had a good feeling we were gonna catch some Carp, they were feeding actively. Time to fix up some bait that can be smelled from a longer distance, the scent of Capsaicin (what makes chilis hot) spreads through water further and faster than most attractants, so I will make Boilies with Cayenne Pepper, mmmmm, spicy meat-a-balla. :lol:

Maybe Squid + Cayenne Boilies for the Willamette as well.

Gunga
Gunga
Hey drew have you ever fished for carp at murray hill pond? Ive been out there about 5 times with my uncle (gungasuncle) and i havnt caught a single thing out of there except my uncles line that came off his stick lol and yes it was a stick that it was attached to it was for a contest. I was wondering if you have any advice for a beginner to carp fishing?

D
Drew9870
I am not very familiar with the northern section of Oregon, although Murray Hill Pond is on my list of places to go, send John Montana a PM asking for info on MHP, a lot of the fish in there are under 6lbs. It's one of those ponds that just happens to be chock full of Carp so everyone thinks thats what happens when Carp exist in a pond/slough/lake/river.

bass
bass
I occasionally take my 7 year old son to Murrayhill pond to fish for carp. We have caught quite a few really small carp (2lbs or less) and nothing larger than 4lbs. I find it almost fascinating how many small fish are in there. However, yesterday we went there for 1.5 hours and did not catch a fish (only one bite).

I take him carp fishing a fair bit and we have had pretty good success with corn, but our best success comes with homemade doughball. The recipe that I like the best is wheat germ and milk with some salt added. You have to gently bring the milk to a boil and then add the wheat germ to make it solid enough to stay on a hook. Takes a bit of practice to get the right consistency.

A second recipe that I used growing up was to cornmeal and water as the base. We would boil the water with whatever flavoring (tobasco, jello flavors, vanilla, maple, etc) and then add cornmeal until it was hard enough to stay on the hook.

Good luck!

Gunga
Gunga
bass said:
I occasionally take my 7 year old son to Murrayhill pond to fish for carp. We have caught quite a few really small carp (2lbs or less) and nothing larger than 4lbs. I find it almost fascinating how many small fish are in there. However, yesterday we went there for 1.5 hours and did not catch a fish (only one bite).

I take him carp fishing a fair bit and we have had pretty good success with corn, but our best success comes with homemade doughball. The recipe that I like the best is wheat germ and milk with some salt added. You have to gently bring the milk to a boil and then add the wheat germ to make it solid enough to stay on a hook. Takes a bit of practice to get the right consistency.

A second recipe that I used growing up was to cornmeal and water as the base. We would boil the water with whatever flavoring (tobasco, jello flavors, vanilla, maple, etc) and then add cornmeal until it was hard enough to stay on the hook.

Good luck!

Thanks for all the info i will keep at and hopefully soon i can say i have caught a carp. :)

B
BSTOTHERIVER
Cat Fish!

Cat Fish!

I live less then 2 miles away from St. Louis ponds, I am good at catching trout, need help with Carp/catfish. Do you fish at St. Louis ponds a lot?

Myself and another OFFer Drew went out to St. Louis ponds for some carp/catfish.

We tried pond 7 in the back. I only managed to get a few hits with sandshrimp.

I then personally went to pond 6 with the sandshrimp, had a few hits as well.

Few hours passed, we decided to head home. On the way back Drew spotted a fish in pond 6. With fly in hand, he threw the fly in the water, bout 20 secs later, a shadow emerges and hits the fly hard.

30 seconds later, a 4lb trout layed on the shore next to Drew and I.

Good day for fishing. :)

Still trying to catch some channels out of there. I will get one! ;)[/QUOTE]

B
BSTOTHERIVER
Cat Fish!

Cat Fish!

I live less then 2 miles away from St. Louis ponds, I am good at catching trout, need help with Carp/catfish. Do you fish at St. Louis ponds a lot? How big are the cat fish at St. Louis Ponds?

S
Sgrunig90
I fish St. Louis when I can. Not sure how big the channels are in there. Here there are some big ones, yet to see any though. Going Sunday if weather permits.

S
Sgrunig90
I went last Sunday, caught a few carp in pond 7. Averaging 2lbs to 14lbs. Caught them off worms off the bottom. I am trying to go again tomorrow, weather perfect for catfishing, highest temperature so far for Salem, time of the year = Catfish spawning = more agressive fish! :) I love May/June.

Will have two poles rigged tomorrow. Will be in back part of pond 6 where it is a bit deeper.

Last edited: