St Louis Ponds Fishing Reports

J
JTLunker
Is a cool series of ponds just south of the Woodburn outlet stores. A good thing to keep in mind when the lady want to spend a couple hours outlet shopping. There are Crappie, Bluegill, Channel Cats, largemouth, and trout are stocked in early spring. If you like to explore in the mud and slop this is the place for you. I have fished there for trout and have seen lunker brooders caught there. Worms and slip bobbers are key at this multi depth trout pond. I have had medium success, but my Step Daughter kills it there! Great for kids all around as there is plenty for them to look at if the fishing can't keep their attention. Anyway just a report for those of you looking for water to fish in the Northern watershed of the Willamette zone. There is also and area for training dogs to retrieve waterfowl.

O
Oncorhynchus
Hows the water quality would the channels be good to eat from there?
I love catfish can not waint to go back to TN this spring and chase after some.

J
JTLunker
I would say that the quality is fair. I would eat thr trout for sure. The cats maybe? Anyone else ever heard about water quality there?

C
cavdad45
The water is okay if you want to eat your fish. The channel cats are fewer than in years past. I got one about 15 years ago that was 9 pounds. Haven't seen many in the last 5 or 6 years though. The bass fishery is fair. I've never seen anything over three-pounds even during the spawn. Lots of stunted panfish and crappie.

It's a great place to fish with kids. We take our Cub Scout pack there every year for an outting.

J
Joey Link
I think Jenny and I are gonna try our luck here Saturday or Sunday.

J
JTLunker
I might try my luck with my family on Saturday. I will keep an eye out for any OFF members I recognize. Powerbait, Worms, and bobbers are a must here. Lures are fun to walk and cast along the shore with. There is a lot area to fish from but the pond is not that wide. So cross pond tangles are possible. Have fun!

J
Joey Link
Looks like it's gonna have to be Sunday for us. We'll have to get together sometime soon. Any idea how full the bank of this pond gets?

J
JTLunker
There is a ton of shore to fish there. It gets deeper as you move toward the large elbow of the pond.

J
Joey Link
Is that where you'd say the fishing is best? You're talking about pond 3, right?

J
JTLunker
I think so. I know they only stock the one pond. It is the one nearest the Bathrooms. The deepest part is at the elbow and the stretch after the elbow. There is a handicap dock. Slip bobber and worm is what I saw the bigger fish caught on in that spot.

J
Joey Link
I really appreciate the tips man, hopefully we'll all do well this weekend :D

J
JTLunker
With finals over at PSU spring break begins!! I headed out to the ponds on Friday solo, and on Saturday mourning with my Dad. On Friday I fished from 9-1 with white and Chartruse powereggs. Caught three fish in a short span at 11 and then it went dead. I was happy though! On Saturday I took my Dad down to the ponds. It was pretty chilly at first, perfect for Trout! No fish for the first two hours, and then we I caught one, and then my Dad caught one, his first fish since moving back to Oregon from So Cal. I have taken him five times with no luck before this. So he got the skunk off him. Nice job Dad! I caught one more after that before the mourning bite died. It was good to fish with my Dad and see him catch a fish.

J
JBean
That WAS you!!

That WAS you!!

Oh my goodness, I knew I should have asked if it was. You looked sorta familiar, I thought to myself, 'I wonder if that's JT?'. I was with my hubby and asked you how you did it cause we had been skunked. We had started about noon and had to leave by 1:30, so we were in the worst time of day to fish. How funny, I will ask from know on if I think it's someone from here. You said you were also using shrimp scent too. That was you right? Man, sorry, I shouldn't have doubted my memory. :rolleyes: The little kid (and his dad) you talked to after us on your way out went runnin' to where you had been. It was funny.

J
JTLunker
Ha what a close call! Too bad you didn't say somthing. I always wonder if people may be from the site. You are my first OFF member encounter I have had. Yeah I was using shrimp smelly jelly. Using scent is a huge advantage. I use it for every kind of fishing. Covers your scent and may attract fish from surrounding areas. I will be fishing Blue lake tommarrow with my Daughter. Well don't give up, I heard the evening is the best time to fish the ponds. That is funny that they ran to the spot, but I have been there myself. I hope they caught some.

J
JTLunker
Went to the ponds with my the my gf's Daughter for the youth fishing event. They stocked the ponds with some larger and Trophy size fish. Ali caught 2 larger 17" and I caught one larger 16". I was excited to land some hefty trout. But the guys around us landed some of those trophies. What pigs. 20+" and one had to be around 9 lbs. Poor weather yet a big crowd. I will have pics later. Power eggs as usual in all color are working. And I caught mine on a Thomas Bouyant. Worms from bobbers were also working fairly well.

J
JTLunker
No it is the middle one or pond #3. There is a cement walkway around some of it. If you walk around past the handicap dock and keep going for about fifty yards in between two small tress in the water that is where they were pulling out the big ones. I say two or three that were as big as Steelhead. They were jumping and fighting like hell. It was funny to see little kids reeling in huge trout like they were reeling in Crappie, like it was no big deal. They sure were excited to get them on shore though. That is a great time to get kids into fishing. Ali sure was excited to land her two largest trout ever. Here are those pics.

DSCN0814.jpg

J
JBean
Wowee

Wowee

Great job you two! It's great she is into the fishing. Now where is a pic of that puppy?? You should put one in so everyone can have an 'awwww' moment....:D

M
McMudpuddle
Very Nice JT. Nice to see a kid gettin into it! The girl looks to be having fun too:D

H
Hawk
JT...You & Ali look Mighty Happy...........................:D

them thar fishes shurely are Mighty Beautiful..................:cool::D...................Great Job..

ConGratulations to your Dad........................:cool:..............:)

W
Wasam
Has anyone gone down lately? I would think the bass fishing is getting better. Maybe I will go down.

Top Bottom