St Louis Ponds 20120930

U
Unlucky Fisherman
Well I decided to go fishing at the St Louis Ponds today. I got up early hoping to make it right at sunup, (I was close enough). I came to the first pond near the camp host RV and it seemed a little sketchy. There is lots of algae growing in it but I said "hey you never know". I didn't get a single nibble in that area. So I moved on around 0800 to the pond north of pond 6, too many people already fishing that one, and proceeded to fish there with night crawler, sinker, and float and with an artificial bluish purple worm. I didn't get any strikes or hits on either one. The next step was on the dock on that same pond. Myself and another angler could see blue gill under the dock. I could see a few but once I threw my nightcrawler in at least 20 or more poped out. I was amazed to see so many. However, it was unfortunate because I didn't have the proper tackle to catch the little things. I would be surprised if you didn't catch a lot of blue gill out there with red worms and a small hook. A family joined me on the dock and right away were getting the same strikes that I was from the blue gill. The youngest boy actually caught three while I was fishing further out in the pond. Since I was striking out with a larger hook and nightcrawler, I tried a green rooster tail and a crank bait. Again the only fish interested were blue gill and they weren't that interested. I decided to move on around 0930. I moved to the east side of the pond and started getting stronger bites but none that would take the whole bait into its mouth. After 30 minutes I moved to the furthest pond from the parking area, the one closest to the freeway. There I tried the same ol routine with nightcrawler and bobber. I had a few strikes the first few minutes in, thinking this would be my spot. I soon realized it was just some more blue gill that wanted my bait. I rebaited and threw out into the middle. I let it set for a moment and looked down at my watch noting that it was 1100, my where did the time go? When I looked up the bobber was under the surface and my line was slack so I couldn't set the hook. I tried and tried but through all my efforts didn't believe I hooked it. Once I started to reel in I realized that I did hook a fish. I got it close to the bank and believe I identified it as a crappie. I lost it in the green vegetation about three feet away from landing it. I tried until 1200 but the bites from even the blue gill seem to die. So my first experience at St Louis Ponds was not the best, but, I am sure I will try again. The weather was warm by 0900 and the skies were clear. Maybe I will try on an overcast day.

By the way. One of the Bass Anglers had caught two small bass on a top water bait not sure what it was but it seem to be some type of frog lure.

Good luck!

W
wozniasm
Great report! Sorry you came home empty handed. The ponds are very tough once it gets warm and the vegetation kicks in.
Once I saw some guys using a bobber and worm where they toss it right on an edge of a vegie patch and trout seemed to sit under the patches - bass may be doing the same.

U
Unlucky Fisherman
All in all I got out of the house and had fun playing around trying different things. I think I will do inventory of my bass tackle and try again in the evening. Thanks for the info!

M
Modest_Man
My buddy was out there a few days ago and was killing the bluegill and crappie fly fishing - just FYI.

Reactions: wozniasm
U
Unlucky Fisherman
Ive got a fly pole but have yet to try fishing with it. I am not up on what flies to use or the technique. I should research that also. Thanks for the info!