St John Virgin Islands for 6 days = 9 species of fish caught

N

nwkiller

Had a crazy week fishing and snorkling around St John island. Did research before I left, knew that squid would catch a lot of species around the island. Used the regular setup of a slide weight with a 18" leader. Every cast I would get bites and or a fish. While standing on some rocks casting I spotted out of the corner of my eye an eel slither under a nearby rock, it looked decent too. First I dipped my hook and bait down near the rock and before i knew it he was already munching on my bait....set the hook....."snip" my line was cut by his razor sharp teeth like a hot knife through butter. luckely I had some wire leaders. The leaders were set up with a egg weight fastened at the end. So I held the egg weight in my hand and jigged the chunck of squid in the same slot as the first........Green morray Eel on!!
IMGP0057.jpg
He fought like hell but I got him outta the rock, took some pics and let him go. it was hard the get the hook from his jaw, everytime i would get the pliers near he would yank them outta my hand...
Seriously, every cast had some sort of action, caught a few dozen fish from the bank including a Tiger Grouper,
2011-06-01_16-51-24_931.jpg
Squrriel fish,
2011-06-01_09-03-30_364.jpg
Yellow snapper,
2011-06-01_08-54-30_737.jpg
Red Hind,
2011-06-01_16-44-09_462.jpg
Blue striped Grunt and a few others.
2011-06-01_16-55-00_936.jpg
Even had a Needlefish on for a few seconds but he popped off at the bank.

Went out on a charter on a Marlin hunt. Sadly the Marlin werent biting we couldnt even call one up with 6 different teaser setups running and a few flying fish "plugs"
2011-06-02_14-23-18_386.jpg
guide said these fish can soar 700 feet before landing back in the water...

We did get into a nice 4.5 ft Wahoo, beautiful fish.
IMG_1000.jpg
Decent fight, but mostly ran at the boat trying to get free. Fight lasted about 12 minutes.
Next fish was a King Macarol, sorry no picture, this fish had to be released, it was an amazing fish though weighed around 35-40 pounds.
We were only able to get two fish on the troll so we decided to go for the live bait which was a small silver fish resembling a small Shad. After tossing out three rods, two spining and a level line on the down rigger, fish began to get hooked left and right. We ended up catching 3 Barracudas,

PICTURES SOON

5 Black fin Tuna,
IMG_1033.jpg
_1748615470660_1097017024_31436134_2592918_n%20%20.png
_1748616550687_1097017024_31436140_5045654_n%20%20.png
1 Caribean reef shark,

VIDEO SOON

and a Trigger fish.
IMG_1035.jpg

When we arrived back to the dock, while cleaning the fish we were told to look behind the boat....6 or so 8-10 ft Nurse sharks circled the area, feasting on the discarded fish parts.
IMG_1039.jpg

funny thing was, people were swimming 100 or so yards away......Even a hundred or so pound Tarpon was in on the action.........
IMG_1038.jpg

I had to feed these beauties by hand, knowing Nurse sharks are some of the most gentle sharks...unless you fall in:cool:.........
[video] th_sharkfeed.jpg [/video]
IMG_1040.jpg
Acually guess it was more like 12 species caught......
What a trip!!...... Big thanks to Captian Rob and Sharp K and mixed bag charters St. John & St. Thomas Sport Fishing, sportfishing, charter, deep sea fishing

Last edited:
T

TTFishon

Looks like an effin awesome trip NWK!!! Nice variety of fish man!!! Can't wait for the video!!!

N

nwkiller

Thanks TT it was pretty damn insane. I will have multiple videos up today!

B

bigsteel

WOW,great report and photos,definitely no shortage of fish where you were,,,you hit the grand slam my friend with all those different species...that blue striped grunt is absolutely stunning

N

nwkiller

heres some videos with many more to come......
[video]http://youtu.be/rfON7URaHQ4[/video]
[video]http://youtu.be/gMd-r-W7JGo[/video]
[video]http://youtu.be/kka9RTpxGbk[/video]
[video]http://youtu.be/GTayaEaRxeA[/video]

H

Hawk

WOWeee bro, y'all sure caught reely lotta fishes...:lol::lol::lol::lol:
Great Job
Very Well Done.

:clap::clap::clap:
:dance::dance:
:D:D
:cool::cool:

N

nwkiller

thanks hawk, it sure was a great time!

J

JeannaJigs

Sounds like an awesome trip of a lifetime! Those are for sure stunning fish. It's amazing the broad variety. We kinda live in a salmonid bubble in the pnw so it's pretty cool to see other species

N

nwkiller

thanks JJ, ya talk about not knowing what your gonna get, found out there were like 340 species of fish, im sure a handful were algea eaters but most of them had crazy teeth, especially the tiger grouper and the red hind! a defenit array.

W

waco

I missed this thread somehow but man that looks like heaven I bet I felt like it!! some really beautiful fish and some not so much but some crazy teeth!!

A

Airs98

Did you eat any of those reef fish? :) I remember the food is scarce on St. John...

N

nwkiller

ya the fish were amazing.....but ya you had to be ready for a mouth full of teeth when ever you brought one in...it was heavan.

I acually didn't eat any of the reef fish, although i heard the "rock hind" ( red spots and teeth)...were some of the best eaters on the island. I just caught and released. but the wahoo and the tuna were a whole other story....it was amazing

Top Bottom