SRC in north coast estuaries

G
gfisher2003
Hey Y'all

I was wondering if anyone knows much about fishing for SRC in the estuaries and bays of the north coast rivers like the Alsea. I thought it might be cool to try and do some summer or spring fishing for them similar to what they do up in the Puget sound, but I don't know a whole lot about accessibility or if it is even a possibility. If anyone has any links to anything useful about their behavior down here that would also be helpful, it seems like a lot has been written about SRC in the salt in the Puget sound area but I can find almost nothing talking about fishing for them in our estuaries.

Thanks!

Grant22
Grant22
I don't know a lot but I've fished for them in rivers like the Trask, Wilson, Nestucca, etc. I usually do pretty well on small spoons and spinners, microbeads and trout worms, and trout magnets. They seem to usually be pretty bitey.

DOKF
DOKF
I used flies to target sea run cutts on Vancouver Island and Puget Sound. They seemed to like small pink or silver streamers (#10 ~ #14) with a bit of flash. I would often start by targeting chinook with white streamers or for coho with pink streamers, and the cutts would be a by catch.

The cutts were residents and C&R, while the chinook / coho were migratory and tasty. After a while, i must have caught the same SRC individuals several times, and we almost got on a first name basis in several cases.. I got to know were the find them regularly in the tide riffles.

troutdude
troutdude
Decades ago legendary fly fisherman Bob Borden created an equally legendary Blueback killer, The Bordon Special. SPECIFICALLY for the ALSEA. Tie 'em or buy 'em. Mitch at Two Rivers Fly Shop, in downtown Albany, makes bunches every year. P.S. Bluebacks are what locals call SRC's.

1621913043613.png

Reactions: olshiftybiscuits