Squirrel hunting

B
bassman503
I'm talking about big western gray squirrel hunting not the city squirrels. Anyone hunt for these critters when september rolls around? They're tasty and fun to hunt but also veryy challenging. The numbers have declined over the years and it is very lucky to see at least 5 a day. If you've never hunted for them before, I advise you to try. Use a scoped .22 as it's more challenging than shot guns and is more fun. Dad and I do this yearly and come home with 3-4 each trip. They're are lots of poachers however..

M
Mad dog
Man....those things get so thick in the woods around my house!!! Lot's of them in Southern Oregon...the Rogue valley and the Umpqua valley are crawling with them!

They are pretty good to eat...kinda taste like chicken!!! ;) :lol:

I don't hunt them and probably haven't killed one in about 20-25 years now. My sons on the other hand raise hell with them! My oldest killed one with his bow at 65 yds the year before last! My younger son hunts them just because that is what he does....he hunts stuff!!! I bet he kills 20 to 30 of them a year.

A pair of Grey squirrels that my son killed on the hill behind our house. They were hanging around near our treestand and raising hell if they would see us while we were waiting for deer. He went on a recon mission and took them out! :D
001-12.jpg

C
cookshot
Sounds awesome! I have always wanted to get into it, my dad grew up in Missouri and swears by them. There are a ton of them in the unit I bow hunt, I might have to make a trip to get some squirrels this time.

R
RunWithSasquatch
big ol buggers... Ive never given chase to them.

S
Santiam338
I have always called them "Silver Grey's",but western grey is correct..When we were kids they were big game to us..Quite a few around here,but I don't shoot them...See hundreds when I go south and always say I am going down just for Silver Greys,but never seem to find the time...

One of these days...

U
UGLYSTICKER
bassman503 said:
I'm talking about big western gray squirrel hunting not the city squirrels. Anyone hunt for these critters when september rolls around? They're tasty and fun to hunt but also veryy challenging. The numbers have declined over the years and it is very lucky to see at least 5 a day. If you've never hunted for them before, I advise you to try. Use a scoped .22 as it's more challenging than shot guns and is more fun. Dad and I do this yearly and come home with 3-4 each trip. They're are lots of poachers however..

thanks for posting this. when i was youngster western grays were the ultimate small game. in the coastal range of santa cruz california i used hunt them every chance i had. that was like 40 years ago. if i knew a place with them not too far from eugene where i would'nt get busted for trespass i'd do it again.

Last edited:
B
bassman503
UGLYSTICKER you can get them down south of you or if you're willing to travel to the white river unit east of the cascades. There is a gooooood population down southern oregon but east of the cascades they're pretty scarce.. Nice squirrels! :D

U
UGLYSTICKER
bassman503 said:
UGLYSTICKER you can get them down south of you or if you're willing to travel to the white river unit east of the cascades. There is a gooooood population down southern oregon but east of the cascades they're pretty scarce.. Nice squirrels! :D

thx bassman503

R
Rwg
Squirrel hunting

That seems a lot of fun. Where and how do I get to the Umpqua valley from I5 to hunt for them?? If anyone knows please reply.
Thanks,
Rwg
Mad dog said:
Man....those things get so thick in the woods around my house!!! Lot's of them in Southern Oregon...the Rogue valley and the Umpqua valley are crawling with them!

They are pretty good to eat...kinda taste like chicken!!! ;) :lol:

I don't hunt them and probably haven't killed one in about 20-25 years now. My sons on the other hand raise hell with them! My oldest killed one with his bow at 65 yds the year before last! My younger son hunts them just because that is what he does....he hunts stuff!!! I bet he kills 20 to 30 of them a year.

A pair of Grey squirrels that my son killed on the hill behind our house. They were hanging around near our treestand and raising hell if they would see us while we were waiting for deer. He went on a recon mission and took them out! :D
001-12.jpg

D
Denduran87
Really interested in doing this near beaverton area of anyone knows a good place? I've been out to timber and don't see much of them out there. Also do you guys eat em or just keep the fur. I think my wife would flip if i made her a squirrel coin purse lol. Heard of people eating them and said they aren't too bad just dont skin the tail because then you think your eating a rat.

R
RunWithSasquatch
Maybe she might be a little more thrilled if you made a "special" mans coin pouch for the bedroom....

Just sayin.

C_Run
C_Run
Denduran87 said:
Really interested in doing this near beaverton area of anyone knows a good place? I've been out to timber and don't see much of them out there. Also do you guys eat em or just keep the fur. I think my wife would flip if i made her a squirrel coin purse lol. Heard of people eating them and said they aren't too bad just dont skin the tail because then you think your eating a rat.

I don't know all the squirrel species and which ones are good. You might try to connect with filbert growers. They absolutely hate all squirrels because of the economic damage they do. I'm serious. I used to work with a bunch of those guys and some of them had guys they trusted to be responsible come out and hunt squirrels. Try looking up the hazelnut industry organizations and get a members list, then solicit growers in your area. Some would probably let you do it.

J
JeannaJigs
I hunt these burly beasts with my jeep.

R
RunWithSasquatch
JeannaJigs said:
I hunt these burly beasts with my jeep.

They always try and play chicken with me.

I haven't lost yet.

A
alseaalumaweld
white river units hot hunting for them gray things. i get a few

M
Moosebonsai
I used to hunt them when I was back home in Indiana. Learned to stay away from the big fox squirrels; they can be as tough as a bike tire.

J
JeannaJigs
Man all this talk bout them there skwirls maksa girl hungry.

P
Perry
Man thats a big squirrel. That makes the squirrels from NC look small. Heck our coons dont get that big LOL.

H
halibuthitman
Bump... Because this threads cool and I miss Terry-

T
troutmasta
This is what I saw looking down my scope.

So I just went back inside and had a beer.

Last edited by a moderator: