Squirmy discovery

F
FishSchooler
While worming the other day, I found a short worm. I couldnt tell if it was a NC or a regular pink worm. It also reflected light weirdly, as if it had soap on it. But if it did, it would be dead. If you looked at it, the head would be a metallic green with a light on it. But if you change the angle, it would be a normal color... :shock:
Perhaps fishfinger's UV worm has been found...

F
FishFinger
Stranger things have happened....... Perhaps you've found a hybrid worm. While the notion of a UV worm was just goofin'; basically because UV shouldn't penetrate dirt.

It would sure be a kick in the pants to discover worms might indeed have a UV component. If you could prove the theory they do, that would get you a booth at the junior science fair for sure.

D
Drice
I have seen this phenom too, Im not a scientist but I think the iridescence is something to do with the scaly features along with natural oils and such ( I dunno it sounds good anyways). I have also noticed that the smaller worms like you are talkin about have a rougher texture to them and feel a lot like a cats tounge maybe it has something to do with the type of worm.

F
FishSchooler
Found two worms with the exact same metallicness, except one had a reflective metallic blue color... :shock:
They had dark bodies. Definetely a crawler or a red worm. I am currently farming both. :D

For the future:

New product for SALE!

The all new UV worms are now being sold! Only $10 for one! (3 are in stock.)

D
Drice
Wonder if it could be a hybrid of some sort?

K
Kodiak
Just for giggles

Just for giggles

I found this little red worm creeping across my sidewalk and remebered this thread...so I picked the little buggar up and put him under my UV light. I was shocked to see what happened. Where the light hit the little guy at a30 degree angle he turned green. This would mean 3 things

1. red worms are naturally UV reflective under polarized light,
2. The tiny scales are made of some form of Calcium.
3.worm poop is not UV reflective..turns black!

F
Fishtopher
Soooo...you're marketing UV worms now right?!;):lol:

F
FishFinger
Wow.... That is amazingly wild news! A serious connection between worms and UV waves.

That right there throws a huge wrench into my notion regarding UV merely being an off shoot of true fluorescent colors and their ability to lengthen light waves.

My narrow mind has much more to ponder now....

F
FishSchooler
Kodiak said:
I found this little red worm creeping across my sidewalk and remebered this thread...

Do you have a nearby compost pile/bin? If you throw a bunch of vegetable/fruit scraps with some bread (no citrus!), you will find thousands of reds and lots of crawlers. But reds dont normally live in the normal dirt, as they dont eat it.

F
FishFinger
Hummm, I wonder if the same effect could be found it grubs; like crane fly larva and maggots? Or any larva for that matter. I also wonder if the lack of pigment might play a role?

FishSchooler, $10.00 is kinda steep. You'd have to guarantee they'd work or your money back. Perhaps $5.00 a dozen and sold "as is"

For $10.00 you'll have to invent something in the infrared, something like a hot pocket for fish......

K
Kodiak
FishFinger said:
Hummm, I wonder if the same effect could be found it grubs; like crane fly larva and maggots? Or any larva for that matter. I also wonder if the lack of pigment might play a role?

FishSchooler, $10.00 is kinda steep. You'd have to guarantee they'd work or your money back. Perhaps $5.00 a dozen and sold "as is"

For $10.00 you'll have to invent something in the infrared, something like a hot pocket for fish......

If it has an exoskelitin you can pretty well be assured it will throw OFF some sort of green UV wavelength that fish can see. The calcium in the shell floreces and reflects the UV.

F
Fishtopher
So, if a fish sees me up on the bank, does it see me in UV?

K
Kodiak
Especially if you have any kind of UV brightners in your laundry detergent.

O
osmosis
I can see your calcium enriched exoskeleton from here!

K
Kodiak
osmosis said:
I can see your calcium enriched exoskeleton from here!

Try and educate some people on these boards and see what happens?:lol: I should stomp OFF in a huff and buy a ten foot leader or something!:rolleyes:

F
FishSchooler
FishFinger said:

T'was a joke... ;)

F
FishFinger
A joke? Little buddy I think hot pockets for fish is an idea just waiting to pop!

F
FishSchooler
FishFinger said:
A joke? Little buddy I think hot pockets for fish is an idea just waiting to pop!

The ten bucks part was a joke.
I flipped over a big rock, few worms, one tail of a crawler stickin out but it disappeared in a blink. They all reflected light with that green (not as visible though). We could seriously make some money selling the worms and telling scientists... :cool:

F
Froggy
No Citrus?

No Citrus?

FishSchooler,
why no citrus? Never heard that before. Do the nightcrawlers not like it?

F
FishSchooler
Froggy said:
FishSchooler,
why no citrus? Never heard that before. Do the nightcrawlers not like it?

Citrus has a acid called limoene or something (apples are fine) and it is poisonous to worms.

Yesterday, while doing yard work, I moved a half rotten wooden pot thing and saw tons of red worms under it, taking advangttage of the cover and rotting wood and it was moist. Guess what? Most of them had the green reflection!