Springers

M

mosd

When do the springers start showing up in the lower river ie harrisburg through eugene? whats most productive method to fish for em??

T

Thuggin4Life

From Springfield on up(both rivers) fishing from the bank most guys drift bait for em. You could also toss a float and jig/bait for em. Heard of a few people plunking bait for them. From a boat you can do all that and side drift along with back bouncing plugs/bait for them. Also you can toss hardware. Down on your half ov the river I thing its wider and deeper with less riffles I almost think I remember hearing about people trolling for them or maybe that was in the salem area. As for when, go to the odfw site and find fish passages and go to willamette falls. You can watch the fish counts as the pass through the ladder but its a few days back. shouldn't take the fish more than a few days to get to you. We got one last year tossing spoons from the boat on the willamette in town here right at the I-5 bridge were all the construction is. Only 2000 springers over the falls to date when that happened. I'm sure other people have more info than me hope this helps though. I'll have to show you my spot in town sometime but you have to catch them on the move since its not holding water. Hayden bridge is a good holding spot for them and so is greenwood both on the mckenzie. Gonna try to plunk bait at both spots this year. Got one drifting bait a few years back at greenwood.

J

JWW30127

Normally around the 7th of May to the 15th of May when they arrive.

M

mosd

well i believe im gonna give it another run at it tomorrow (sun), but gonna bring everything., prob chase after sturgeon first thing in the morning, an try afew things different for springers. im try and get there nice and early. i would like to hit the santiam where it dumps into the willy but to far a drive that and bad payday to go there. as far as today, installing airbags in the rear of the truck for the over the cab camper, and reinforcing the jacks on the corners

anyone want to tag along tomorrow shoot me a pm

R

radiation

One of the guys I work with went below Dexter with his brother last week for steelhead. His brother ended up catching a sturgeon that had to be released. Too big! Just an FYI.

M

mosd

YA, ive heard theres sturgeon to be caught there at dexter. would be some place to goto during the summer months or a day when i dont want to bother launching the boat, just fish from shore.

M

mosd

ya, its a lot closer to eugene area, prob is right now you have to contend with the springer fishermen. im sure its getting worse and worse every weekend now

Q

qwapaw

There have been people fishing under the Belt Line bridge over the Willey for quite a while. The size of their rods tell me the are salmon fishing. Do they do much good there? I have never heard of a fish cuaght there, but that doesn't mean anything. Let me know, Qwa, Tight Lines to ya all.

F

Finneus Polebender

We will be out tomorrow got reports of steelhead caught today hoping for the best we have beed driftin egss and runnin quickfish . no luck yet though, just trout and suckers

M

mosd

ive kindof given up for abit on springer, have been concentrating my efforts at green peter res for the kokes up there. got 21 last sat, and sunday afternoon fished from 6 till dark and got 8, but i know some peeps that fish that everyday during the week an they kindof spilled the beans to me about what to use, so ive pretty much got the kokes dialed in. gawd 330am gonna come early tomorrow.
good luck everyone thats chasing after springers/steelies tomorrow an this weekend

R

radiation

Remember that from the Harrisburg bridge to where the McKenzie goes into the Willy is Flies and lures only. I didn't realize that until I got home from fishing the Marshall Island boat ramp.