Springers in town on the willamette

R
rippin fish lips
Thought this would be a good topic for springer season on the willy and mac here in town.

Float fishing....

1) What float rod to get?
2) Eggs or jigs?
3) best line for float fishing?
4) TIPS?

Spinners/spoons for these springers...

I Have heard and read things on putting some plit shots like 3-5 feet above your spinner/spoon to get down to the bottom in the deeeeep holes.......... For some reason to me..................it seems that it would be less effective?

Drift fishing.......

1) Type of rod?
2) Line?
3) type of weight?

Whole worms being drifted on the bottom like you would for steelhead?

1) would it work?
2) Does anyone try this method for chinook?
3) TIPS?

Drifting roe on the bottom?

1) Is it effective?
2) Would you recomend it?
3) Best water to do this in?
4) TIPS?

Last but not least.........

1) Where do these fish hold??
2) TIPS????

T
Thuggin4Life
Wont waste my time but I like drifting roe and have been experimenting with plunking roe. Prefere lures when they first start showing up and fish lower than the monkey show. But You will find me trolling herring for these fish over 100 miles from here when they still smell like the ocean. If i miss a few you can have them.

S
SantiamDrifter
Bait..... Eggs and sand shrimp. Bobber or Back Bounced.

Sardine wrapped kwiks back trolled.

I use braid mainline for everything. Mono leaders.

brandon4455
brandon4455
for salmon i like 8'6 medium heavy with 15-20lb test. for float and drifting. a lot of people prefer those long 12' but i think 8'6-9ft will be fine. use braid for float fishing (not your leader of course :lol: ) on bait vs jigs im kinda stuck on that one... i know bait can be very effective but jigs are pretty darn good themselves.. use a 1oz foam float with an inline weight and use red or pink octopus hooks with a bait loop. go a few sizes larger then for steelhead dont use a giant ass hook like a lot of people think is nescessary. and let me tell you somthing that a guy showed me increased my hookup with spinners especially when using blue fox (even though it was for fall fish) take a peice of surgical tubing and slide it up your line. then use spit or whatever you have to make it slippery and wedge some lead in there. then tie on a fox and you have weight to get your spinner down and it's adjustable. throw on a chartruse number 3-5 with a red tip on the blade and thats a nookie slaying setup. thats pretty much all i could answer for ya not the most experinced salmon angler i usually only plunk or spinner fish for them LOL

J
JeannaJigs
Ha funny thing I've lived two minutes from the willamette my whole life and I know that springers travel through there to get to where they're going but I've never fished it. Something about fishing in town doesn't do it for me. I use floats and eggs or jigs everywhere else and sometimes big size 5 and 6 spinners.

R
rippin fish lips
Well Andy! Ill fill your tank just to get a trip out trolling for springers! I would love to get out and try to catch my first chrome springer.

PM sent.

Jeanna, i know what you mean about fishing in town. I just want to master all of this town stuff then move further out everywhere. The two springers i hooked here in town last year were atleast 20 pounds each easy. I just want to land some of those beasts here in town snap a pic and let them off to finish there journy.

Brandon, I was thinkin something in the 8'6 range, no need for a 12 foot stick! lol
And thats a good idea for the spinner in deep holes. Ima try that this year.